House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xux42

Slightly Desperate Own Goal

For boring reasons I am now only checking my online shopping email account at weekends.

I have just had to delete over 100 mails - I didn't want to block the senders because I do buy from them

but 2 sites -

M&M direct

Halfpriceperfumes - particularly annoying as they are the worst and I have already tried to unsubscribe - isn't that illegal?

were resonsible for half the rubbish all by themselves.

Halfpriceperfumes are particularly annoying as they are the worst and I have already tried to unsubscribe - isn't that illegal?

So now if they have an offer I am interested in I won't see it and I'll probably forget to use them after a while.

Haven't they heard of targetting marketing?

Some websites are making quite intelligent guesses based on prior purchases.

One reason could be that these 2 outfits are not employing professional IT staff or using a good web/marketing business partner.

If so they are deader than a dodo shaped door nail.

They just don't know it yet.

For boring reasons I am now only checking my online shopping email account at weekends.

I have just had to delete over 100 mails - I didn't want to block the senders because I do buy from them

but 2 sites -

M&M direct

Halfpriceperfumes - particularly annoying as they are the worst and I have already tried to unsubscribe - isn't that illegal?

Halfpriceperfumes are particularly annoying as they are the worst and I have already tried to unsubscribe - isn't that illegal?

So now if they have an offer I am interested in I won't see it and I'll probably forget to use them after a while.

One reason could be that these 2 outfits are not employing professional IT staff or using a good web/marketing business partner.

Sadly this kind of spamming works. The money is in the list.

Yeh it almost sounds as though you have done one of the CPA email submit offers where you give your email in exchange to be entered in an "win an iPod" type competition. Big mistake, you can hardly ever get off those lists!

You should view source of emails and send me some via pm. Might not be them sending it

Ok ta bit ill so off to bed but I'll try to remember to do this tomorrow.

As a slight help for the future if you have a gmail/googlemail acount they have enabled a often forgotten email function (originaly used on usenet) that allows unique addresses for email company/spam account etc.

For example if you email is username@googlemail.co.uk then you can sign up for crap using username+crap@googlemail.co.uk, the mails still end up in your inbox but if they end up spamming you just use the rule filters to trash the mails. Unfortunately some websites don't like the + in the email address (even tho it's in the RFC). I just change the +crap to match company/website name.

but 2 sites -

M&M direct

I use two addresses, one for shopping, site registration etc. and a private one. I only look at the shopping address box when I am buying something. It works quite well.

One thing I have noticed of late is that a few companies that I dealt with in the past who would send an e-mail once a month with the latest deals have started spamming - I suspect they might be in a bit of trouble and are becoming desperate, either that ofr they have hired a new marketing manager who is clueless. e.g. mymemory.co.uk has started sending e-mails almost every day for the past couple of months.

Lots more mailings going out at the moment. Partly the time of year, partly the recession.

Believe sending emails B2C against the consumer's wish is indeed illegal under some EU directive, yes. But blocking the sender is the easiest option :)

There's a new nasty too - start the checkout process at a online shop and they capture your email so if you fail to complete the transaction they can email you and harass you to buy.

Lots of discuss about whether it breaches spamming rules but only a few places doing it at moment.

I ordered a book from an online book store and this December they've been sending me one spam email per day counting down the "Most popular 25 Australian books of all time" , it's all very tedious.