House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

No Sign Of Recession As Bellwether J L Sales Rocket 10%

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/John-Lewis-posts-record-sales-reuters_molt-2174777580.html?x=0

John Lewis posts record sales in week to Dec 11
13:45, Sunday 12 December 2010
LONDON (
Reuters
) - Retailer John Lewis said department store
sales rose 10 percent in the week to December 11, compared with the year-earlier period,
helped by better weather.
Sales grew to a record 121 million pounds for the week, up 16.7 percent from last week's trade and
8 percent higher than the retailer's previous best week in 2009,
it said in an e-mail on Sunday.
The employee-owned group is seen as a bellwether of the UK's retail sector.
Sales at Waitrose, the John Lewis-owned supermarket, were up 9 percent

So, record debt, threat of jobs losses and fallng house prices are a non-event as bellwether JL sales rise beyond most people's dreams just a few months ago.

Does anyone think there will be anything to pay for Bropwn's decade of what may no longer be reckoned as "imprudence" but sheer and utter genius. The perpetual wealth train that stands upon the HPI rock that is UK Plc.

What--no bust?

http://uk.finance.ya...777580.html?x=0

LONDON (
Reuters
sales rose 10 percent in the week to December 11, compared with the year-earlier period,
Sales grew to a record 121 million pounds for the week, up 16.7 percent from last week's trade and

So, record debt, threat of jobs losses and fallng house prices are a non-event as bellwether JL sales rise beyond most people's dreams just a few months ago.

Does anyone think there will be anything to pay for Bropwn's decade of what may no longer be reckoned as "imprudence" but sheer and utter genius. The perpetual wealth train that stands upon the HPI rock that is UK Plc.

What--no bust?

course, with the bankruptcies in the sector in 2010, that means those remaining will do better...

questions, are the total volumes up? and, with cold weather threatening, people may be going out early...I know I have.

When you said "Brown" and "Sheer and utter genius" in the same sentence I stopped reading. I can only think you are on a windup campaign - no-one in their right mind can consider that man to be anything other than a deluded financial traitor.

I do not like what he did but when you look at how well our country is doing compared with the others that partcipated in HPI to the hilt you begin to wonder.

How, after a financial meltdown of epic proportions are we still going with house prices down a tiny amount (maybe 20% down from peak), bonds that are AAA+, a flying FTSE, comparatively very low unemployment, rising manufacturing and strong exports even compared with Germany, a currency that is appreciating against all the majors and a Koalishon that is teflon coated?

We should be on our knees because of the debt Brown led us into.

Edited by Realistbear

I do not like what he did but when you look at how well our country is doing compared with the others that partcipated in HPI to the hilt you begin to wonder.

How, after a financial meltdown of epic proportions are we still going with house prices down a tiny amount (maybe 20% down from peak), bonds that are AAA+, a flying FTSE, comparatively very low unemployment, rising manufacturing and strong exports even compared with Germany, a currency that is appreciating against all the majors and a Koalishon that is teflon coated?

Worry not Bear. All we need is bond yields to continue rising (something ZIRP and QE cannot fight in the medium to long term) as they have done over the past few weeks, and us HPCers will be getting the girl and killing the baddies :ph34r:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/John-Lewis-posts-record-sales-reuters_molt-2174777580.html?x=0

LONDON (
Reuters

What--no bust?

JL was offering 15% off all sorts one day last week. I bought a few presents without even realizing there was an offer until I paid.

3 x Lancome items cost rather less than I've paid in the past duty-free.

That could have something to do with it. Plus of course the fact that so many people weren't going out during the worst of the freeze.

JL was offering 15% off all sorts one day last week. I bought a few presents without even realizing there was an offer until I paid.

3 x Lancome items cost rather less than I've paid in the past duty-free.

That could have something to do with it. Plus of course the fact that so many people weren't going out during the worst of the freeze.

I think the 15% relates to price-matching Debenhams 15% off days. Even my wife was surprised its moved up to 15% from the normal 10% although she thinks cosmetics have rocketed over the past couple of years.

Selfridges must be doing ok, they excluded cosmetics from their discount weekend this year.

I think the 15% relates to price-matching Debenhams 15% off days. Even my wife was surprised its moved up to 15% from the normal 10% although she thinks cosmetics have rocketed over the past couple of years.

Selfridges must be doing ok, they excluded cosmetics from their discount weekend this year.

Debenhams make me laugh, I signed up for their store card 2 years ago to get an extra 10% off a large purchase I was making. As a result they have my email address. Since last Christmas they kept bombarding me with news of their latest sale, THREE TIMES A WEEK! There was no let up for months, I gave up waiting for them to reduce prices on something I actually wanted, so I spam blocked them. Anyway, hope it's going well for them this Christmas and that the investment group that own them has started to make a dent in the £1 BILLION they owe to their creditors. :lol:

Anyway, the Christmas sales seem to be in full swing this year. Even seen 50% off in some stores. Only thing is I remember the sales being in January in the past, not November and December : :lol:

Forward to the recovery! Expect to see a lot more Woolworths-style collapses in 2011 folks.

I think JL is having record sales as they have had a massive expansion in recent years setting up new shops across the UK - you have more shops you sell more stuff.

In Cardiff now there is a lot of snobbery involved in shopping in the new JL store and I suspect it is the same in other cities where JL has set up.

Realistbear

As far as I can remember your background is in the legal field ? a lawyer perhaps?. I understood that legal firms were paying off staff as the level of conveyancing has decreased so dramatically. I've read about this happening where I live. Surely that is a bellwether for your own industry.

I left the profession in 1991 so am out of touch. The City boys are doing okay if connected to the pariahs in the bankster trade. Litigation is doing well due to New Labour's destruction of professional ethics through the introduction of US style no win no pay schemes. This is having a HUGE impact on insurance premiums--Clarke is supposed to be reversing New Labour's "improvements" but I have yet to see any results.

I had a look though Zoopla tonight and see that our local market is still dropping somewhat. Maybe as much as 10-12% since Spring. A few are actually selling but no doubt at reduced prices.

I was living in expectancy of a mega crash of at least 50% and as long as this country continues to prosper while others tank it does make me wonder what demonic forces must be at play!

Getting tired of waiting and it does grind one down somewhat. Lets see what January onwards brings. If the EZ goes into a full on crash I cannot see how we can stand alone for much longer.

I had a look though Zoopla tonight and see that our local market is still dropping somewhat. Maybe as much as 10-12% since Spring. A few are actually selling but no doubt at reduced prices.

I was living in expectancy of a mega crash of at least 50% and as long as this country continues to prosper while others tank it does make me wonder what demonic forces must be at play!

Getting tired of waiting and it does grind one down somewhat. Lets see what January onwards brings. If the EZ goes into a full on crash I cannot see how we can stand alone for much longer.

How does Zoopla work? I have never used it so how/what do they do? They 'predict' house prices in a given area? Can someone give me a quickl zoopla dummies guide? Thanks.

I think we are all being ground down by this RB. Doesn't help I know but you ain't alone.

I think most people that go into JL are quite well-to-do anyway and are also because they are benefiting from low mortgage payments.

corrected for you

Petrol going up, taxes going up, food prices going up.

You can run, but you cant hide, as most are about to find out.

How does Zoopla work? I have never used it so how/what do they do? They 'predict' house prices in a given area? Can someone give me a quickl zoopla dummies guide? Thanks.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/

Tick Home values and bang a postcode in.

Let us know if you think the house prices are ludicrously undervalued.

Edited by Redhat Sly

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/

Tick Home values and bang a postcode in.

Let us know if you think the house prices are ludicrously undervalued.

Gone up since 2007 in my my road. Nothing to see here.

- "Hang on, what's that massive tidal wave shaped thing on the horizon?"

- "Nothing to worry about, it's just future interest rate rises."

I was living in expectancy of a mega crash of at least 50%

That was silly. 25% in real terms will be fine.

Getting tired of waiting and it does grind one down somewhat.

Tell ME about it! :lol: I was already "Tired of Waiting" when I started posting in this forum 2 years ago (almost exactly 2 years BTW :) ).

But now that things are going in the right direction you start to flag?? That is very weird.

A lot of people are spending in celebration of the sheer relief of having got rid of NuLabor. We're doing well (relatively) because the markets have confidence in Osborne; we're outside the Eurozone; we're not the US (which is now universally disliked). Nothing to do with Gordo's policies (except the one thing he did right was not to take us into the Euro). If he had got back in, we'd be in Weimar territory by now. JL is always going to do well in a recession when there's invariably a flight to quality.

Petrol going up, taxes going up, food prices going up.

You can run, but you cant hide, as most are about to find out.

true. Real inflation is much higher than we've been told. Judging by what I spend on essentials now when compared to one year ago, I feel it really is 10%, or even more. How long can they play with the basket? Surely they should run out of "not inflationary" goods sometime soon!:angry: And my opinion about recent shopping spree is that it's the old man's last gasp.

Edited by LittleSteroid

true. Real inflation is much higher than we've been told. Judging on what I spend for essentials now when compared to one year ago, I feel it really is 10%, or even more. How long can they play with the basket? Surely they should run out of "not inflationary" goods sometime soon!:angry:

I guess once inflation has wiped out the reduction from rates of 5-7% down to 0-3% most have seen on their mortgage payments is when all hell will break loose. Given petrol is a new records, food has been breaching records non stop and council tax, vat, utilities and duties will be going up it cant be long now.

I guess once inflation has wiped out the reduction from rates of 5-7% down to 0-3% most have seen on their mortgage payments is when all hell will break loose. Given petrol is a new records, food has been breaching records non stop and council tax, vat, utilities and duties will be going up it cant be long now.

utilities are going up right now, npower up 5% from january if I remeber right.