House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hino98

No Prices.

Things are getting so bad in some of the former Australian property "Hot Spots", that the EA's are now loath to advertise the price of a property, in case they 'advertise' the state of the market and how quickly prices are falling.

"Redcliffe" is just North of Brisbane, and used to be a small 'seaside' town, until the recent 'boom'. Since then, the prices went through the roof, and all the developers, investors and BTR'ers. Moved into town.

In the early stages of the 'boom', the tidal wave of cash flowing from people in Sydney who had sold their Sydney homes when the market was 'booming'. But could no longer afford Sydney prices,. washed upon the shores of Morton Bay ( Brisbane ).

When the prices in Brisbane got too steep for the locals, they then "invested" in Redcliffe'

It seems to me, that what 'investors' saw as a tidal wave, was nothing more than a ripple in a pond. A 'pebble' hits the smooth waters of the pond, and the resulting ripple flows outwards.

Once the energy of the pebble is dissipated, then the water flows back, and the 'pond' assumes it's normal position. As it is with the pond, so it is with real estate.

If anyone on this forum, is in any doubt about the HPC, spend a few minutes reading through the pages on this link..... "Desperate vendor", "Bank says sell", "No options left"......says it all really. The decision to take the prices off the web page and probably their advertising, is merely the icing on the cake.

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/SearchResu...&sort=price-asc

For U.K prices, divide by 2.4.......and probably weep :)

Though as some of your local "Bulls' will tell you........."This time it's different" :):):)

Do you know the area well Hino?

My mum is renting out her place in Brighton. I'm 50/50 on whether to advise her to sell now. She would listen to me, but it's her only asset, so not a decision I'd take lightly.

Most of Redcliffe's a hole I agree, but is the market holding better closer to Sandgate?

T&T

this time it is different..

and don't let anyone tell you any different......

Not ever..

You see this time we are £600,000,000,000 more in debt and mortgage repayments are on average the same now as a proportion of average salary, as they were in 1990 with 12% interest rates..

and thats against an average salary of £29,500..

Which is a bit of a lie..

So things are different.. The economy is going to unzip around us..

Do you know the area well Hino?

My mum is renting out her place in Brighton. I'm 50/50 on whether to advise her to sell now. She would listen to me, but it's her only asset, so not a decision I'd take lightly.

Most of Redcliffe's a hole I agree, but is the market holding better closer to Sandgate?

T&T

Hi T&T,

After I posted I went back to the site I posted the link to, only to find that the prices had 'mysteriously' appeared on many of the advertised properties. Perhaps I was 'lucky' enough to catch them in the middle of a site update.

I know the area very well, and I'm pretty inclined to retire there. It's about 1000 k's North of here, and obviously much warmer. Living on the coast also has it's obvious attractions.

Though I don't know it well enough to offer an opinion about the different suburbs. I do believe, that the Redcliffe area suffered greatly from an inrush of capital from, people in other areas, who were priced out of other locations.

Now that the 'boom' is over, and there are no more short term capital gains to be made. I expect local properties to suffer substantial losses as 'investors', and 'second home' owners rush to get out of the 'property' game, and seek to protect their original 'asset'..... the family home.

As a result prices in the Redcliffe area are falling constantly and considerably, and many people will suffer a big loss.

Does your mum live in her Brighton home ? If she does, and she is happy there, why sell ???

If her Brighton place is an 'investment property', does she own it outright ? or is she paying a mortgage ??

Would your mum want to move ? Does she need more money ?? Is she alone ??? Is she young enough to move and start again ????

There are lots of things to consider.....most of all your mum :)

Feel free to PM me if you feel I can help.