House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

What The Hell? - Ice Doomsday From Thursday!

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/12/severe-weather-alert-ireland-and-uk.html

"I can't stress strongly enough that this will be a major winter weather onslaught and not just a drop in temperatures with a few local flurries.

This is like turning the eastern Atlantic into the Great Lakes, almost, when you have this much cold air rushing south this fast, it overcomes the normal tendencies of the Atlantic to modify air masses and turn streamers to mush. This setup could give blizzard like conditions even with winds somewhat west of due north, in many parts of Ireland. And we aren't that confident that the setup is perfectly modelled yet, what's probably equally likely at this point is that the polar low will drop into the North Sea and pull Siberian air across into the N-NE flow on following days. There is also a lot of super-cold air waiting to head west from central to northwest Russia and around Novaya Zemlya.

When this polar hurricane develops, winds are going to be 50-70 knots around Jan Mayen (volcanic island 1000 km west of Norway, 600 km north of Iceland) with temperatures of -12 C ... the ice margin will probably shift south in this period to reach limits not seen in recent years, and the Baltic Sea is rapidly freezing and spilling out 0-2 C water into the North Sea."

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/ee_forecast_warnings.html

East of England:

Bedfordshire

Cambridgeshire

Essex

Hertfordshire

Luton

Norfolk

Peterborough

Southend-on-Sea

Suffolk

Thurrock

Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow Thu 16 Dec

There is an increasing risk of both ice and snow through the day as very cold air spreads southwards across all areas by the end of the day.

Issued at: 1100 Sun 12 Dec

Looks like my snow tyres are turning out to be a good investment :)

I think its meant to last for several weeks.

Oh the poor sheep!!! :( (And cows, and horses etc. deer? rabbits? birds? :(:( )

All that happened last year was my olive tree perished. I think we'll live.

May it rest in peace. Your stoicism is to be commended.

I live in Poland and it was -21C last Saturday. I can assure you wild animals have no problem with the cold. Even most of the birds don't fly south here, -30C is not unusual and they don't seem to be that bothered by it.

They grow vines for wine here, protected by burying the vines in winter under soil.

I went shopping today, and bought some fat balls and mesh bags of peanuts. They are now hanging from my washing line. I've done my bit for the birds (I'm paying my secular penance for shooting birds with an air rifle when I was 14).

I would usually join in the mirth, but XEL are flow testing in the north sea this week, and i have lots of my deposit savings in this! Delays could be price sensitive.

The weather is affecting my housing prospects :o

I live in Poland and it was -21C last Saturday. I can assure you wild animals have no problem with the cold. Even most of the birds don't fly south here, -30C is not unusual and they don't seem to be that bothered by it.

Thank god for that. :rolleyes:

For the first time ever, I noticed some peanuts in my shoe the other day, so bought two Humane mouse traps, and have caught 9 woodmice [!!!] in the last two weeks. Each morning, I take the traps half a mile down to the woods, and release them [with some nuts, cause Im a hard softy really] in the wood, at a leafy craggy bit/

Having said that, its been -5 + most nights.

And I was beginning to wonder whether it would have been kinder to buy the non-humane traps.

I would think that they will quickly revert to their wild instincts

For arborists amongst us, the death of such a life can barely be compared. I was genuinley gutted.

I think I read somewhere that during the medievel period, over half of Britain was forested. How amazing must that have been?!

Bring it back I say. There's something bereft in life, when you live in a period where there are no wilderness's, or blank 'spaces' on the map any more. :(

Also, a little thing, but how nice must it be, to own your own tiny piece of land, with grass on it? I.E Your own little garden....:(

Your Cherry?

lol

See the 3 attached files.

One shows the precipitation forecast for next Thursday.

One shows the 500hpa. anything below 528 on that usually means snow.

One shows the 850hpa temperature, below -5c usually means snow.

Also, a little thing, but how nice must it be, to own your own tiny piece of land, with grass on it? I.E Your own little garden....:(

Even nicer if you could build your own -ing house on it.

A bit TFH (but we're used to that here ;)), this is a couple of months old but could there be anything in it?.

http://rt.com/news/prime-time/coldest-winter-emergency-measures/

No it will be much much worse. I'm not joking

Thanks for this very interesting topic.

I went to the MetOffice website to see what they say, but half of their online content talks about global warming, so I better stick to http://www.wetterzentrale.de for the time being.

If indeed the weather gets really bad from Thursday, I'll never visit the metoffice website again.

Last week I went there to check their very mild winter forecast (from the end of October) but they removed it from their news archives - cheeky buggers. :o )