House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Don't Believe The Retail Industry When It Says The High Street Is Booming

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/david-prosser-dont-believe-the-retail-industry-when-it-says-the-high-street-is-booming-2157468.html

So is it going to be a Merry Christmas for Britain's retailers? The high street will be busy today, enabling retailers to say customers are flooding in. You'll see a flurry of claims about record sales, rising footfall and shortages of must-have goods. This is psychological warfare. Get the message out that everyone else is splurging, retailers reason, and reluctant shoppers will feel the need to join them.

The reality, however, is that the mood music, with two weeks to go to the big day, is melancholy. And with good reason. People aren't dim – they know their finances are about to get tighter. Energy bills and transport costs are rising. A VAT rise kicks in in January, with further tax hikes to follow in April. The outlook for jobs – let alone pay rises – is uncertain. And mortgage costs will not remain low for ever.

The retail sector hopes that, with tough times ahead, Christmas will encourage a last hurrah. Maybe those hopes will be realised, but don't count on it.

It is not what Legal & General, for example, is expecting. Its consumer research suggests 80 per cent of households plan to spend no more than last year and in many cases less.

If feel the need to splurge now, what pointless tat can I buy. We must save the economy.

There was something on the news about it last night, presenter was in a shopping mall talking about the record spending, yet both my girlfriend and I simultaneously and instantly spotted that the mall was near deserted.

The Independent article is nonsense, who on earth shops because they see other people shopping? My friends will be receiving home-made Sloe Gin and chocolates and as they ask for the same each year I assume they enjoy them.

There was something on the news about it last night, presenter was in a shopping mall talking about the record spending, yet both my girlfriend and I simultaneously and instantly spotted that the mall was near deserted.

You've got to remember the BBC,ITV,Sky etc are all state controlled and state sponsored propaganda channels.

Russia today on Youtube and CH85 seems to tell it like it is for foreign news. For example they covered the paypal wikileaks thing. They even demonstrated how paypal was a hypocrite with RT donating $50 to the KKK as an example. Of course RT isn't exactly bias free but it seems to show a lot of things the UK press doesn't. Like the putin pot kettle black thing when the US and Europe talked about Putin as a mafia stooge.

The Independent article is nonsense, who on earth shops because they see other people shopping?

The same people who buy a house because they see other people buying a house. ;)

Yes that was that new mall right next to St Paul's wasn't it? Talk about the moneychangers in the Temple!! laugh.gif

The Beeb reporter had bought into the Mall's b*llsh*te that bankers were spending their bonuses in there. Looked totally dead.

Edited by Sir John Steed

The shopping areas could be very busy on the run up to Christmas. Not with people there to spend, more to watch the protesters, or hopefully join in.

http://www.ukuncut.org.uk/actions

I think these people have a point.

"Did you know that Andy Halford, Vodafone's financial director, has been advising George Osborne on company tax?"

http://www.rethinktalk.org/topic/735-vodafone-excused-from-tax-bill-worth-more-than-osbornes-welfare-cuts/