House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Council Tax Revaluation 'to Be Postponed'

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/localgovern...1571148,00.html

The government is about to postpone the council tax revaluation due in 2007, senior Whitehall sources have told Guardian Unlimited

Yup, when you recieve and are expected to pay a rateable value of £300k on your now £200k house that's going to be a bitter pill to swallow. Not to mention this will do wonders for already evaporating disposable income, not that they bother including petty things like council tax in the CPI, it's not like you have to pay, you only get carted away to jail.

The government probably thought such revaluations would induce a sort of smug boast once a resident knew the high price of his house was 'officially ordained' by the government, that would be taken entirely the wrong way.

Obviously insiders already have access to internal Land Registry raw data that hasn't been published yet, they're obviously realised they cannot construct meaningful valuations in the current market.

Edited by BuyingBear

Yup, when you recieve and are expected to pay a rateable value of £300k on your now £200k house that's going to be a bitter pill to swallow. Not to mention this will do wonders for already evaporating disposable income, not that they bother including petty things like council tax in the CPI, it's not like you have to pay, you only get carted away to jail.

The government probably thought such revaluations would induce a sort of smug boast once a resident knew the high price of his house was 'officially ordained' by the government, that would be taken entirely the wrong way.

Obviously insiders already have access to internal Land Registry raw data that hasn't been published yet, they're obviously realised they cannot construct meaningful valuations in the current market.

I still consider the "community tax" the most unfair form of taxation. I'm mean why should a householder pay for the police, the council, the fire brigade, education, libaries, street lighting/ cleaning etc etc when other gainfully employed wage earners pay bugger all. Surely you should be taxed on your ability to pay.

Us old uns pay while you young uns just snort it up your noses, puke all over the pavements and leave your pizza boxes littering the streets

:unsure:

Surely you should be taxed on your ability to pay.

Why should a single lawyer with no kids have to pay more tax than a chav with six kids who's been on welfare all her life?

People should pay for the services they use: that's the only way a tax can be 'fair'.

Catch 22 - you forget that council tax only funds an average of 25% of local government expenditure. Those gainfully employed people you refer to are actually contributing a bigger proportion through income tax, business rates and VAT etc.

Personally I think council tax is the fairest tax around:

it is the only really visible tax (you get a bill) - imagine if people got an annual bill for their income tax or NI!

it is a tax on inefficient use of space (a single person shouldn't be occupying a three bed property when there is a housing shortage)

it is the only tax on property owners and arguably therefore provides a restraining influence on house prices (rather than stamp duty which hits first time buyers hard)

it is easy to collect and hard to evade.

They could make council tax benefit easier to claim for people in low paid jobs and poor pensioners but apart from that I don't have a problem with this particular tax. I'm afraid the postponement of revaluation is just another example of how gutless this government is!

it is the only really visible tax (you get a bill) - imagine if people got an annual bill for their income tax or NI!

it is a tax on inefficient use of space (a single person shouldn't be occupying a three bed property when there is a housing shortage)

Precisely why we give them a 25% discount ;)

Guest Guy_Montag

Instead of a sweeping revaluation, why not set the tax on the value of the property at the last sale.

My parents bought a brand new house, slightly smaller than their old one, and significantly cheaper than their old one.

They were in band D, now they are in band G, because their new house was valued on what they paid & their old one on it's value in the 80s or 90s.

It makes perfect sense, if you pay £250k for a house, then that is the value it should be banded at. The other advantage of this is, if you are a pensioner living in the family home, you will be banded at A, because you bought your house for 3/-6d in 1921.

Solves everyone's problems & I'll have a knighthood please Tony. :)

It's a stupid tax.

Tax land if you must have a property based tax.

Oh, forgot, can't do that, the rich and the elite own most of it.

And which politician is going to upset them?

It's a stupid tax.

Tax land if you must have a property based tax.

Oh, forgot, can't do that, the rich and the elite own most of it.

And which politician is going to upset them?

me. i will upset them.....id send them back to france where they came from, then divide the land up for national farming and re-introduce mining.

comrades, let raise a peoples army and seize control of the local councils.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/localgovern...1571148,00.html

The government is about to postpone the council tax revaluation due in 2007, senior Whitehall sources have told Guardian Unlimited

They are revaluing houses now in England.I have just bought a property and they have been round to revaluate the council tax band.

Apparently they cannot revaluate property unless it has just been sold.I am awaiting a letter from them to see if my band has gone up! - which it probably will!

All houses that are putting in for extentions as of now are going to be revalued also so i can't understand them saying they are going to postpone it!My letter is to arrive regarding revaluation in October.They measured the property and even counted the bricks !!!(how sad!)

They are revaluing houses now in England.I have just bought a property and they have been round to revaluate the council tax band.

Apparently they cannot revaluate property unless it has just been sold.I am awaiting a letter from them to see if my band has gone up! - which it probably will!

All houses that are putting in for extentions as of now are going to be revalued also so i can't understand them saying they are going to postpone it!My letter is to arrive regarding revaluation in October.They measured the property and even counted the bricks !!!(how sad!)

You're missing the point !!

They are still carrying out the revaluing procedures but the suggestion is that those valuations will now not be "activated".

Be very interesting if this proves to be true.

Is this also related to how near the next GE might be?

Talk suggests rises for many and that coming 1 to 2 years before the GE might be considered rather "unhelpful" to reelection chances.

Wales seem to have made a right **** up of their revaluations an old friend of mine over in Flintshire had his house jacked up three bands, he appealed, it took three months for them to take another look because of the backlog of screamers.

Dropped hom back three bands instantly full of apologies say they would deduct his overpayment from next years bill.

I don't think this has got anythign to do with the government realising that houseprices are falling because all council tax is relative anyway. I think it is more likely that someone in whitehall has FINALLY realised that increasing the council tax for all those people who stretched themselves to the limit to buy £250k newbuilds they can't afford will finally tip them over the economic edge.

Too many people think that the only cost involved in owning a home is paying the mortage. If council tax increased many people would find that they could no longer live in the house that cost 5,6,7, or even 8 times their income. They would have to face the unpleasant reality that you have to live within your means.

The fall out from this would be messy. I can see the headlines now ....'they were sold a dream by New Labour and it turned into a nightmare'. The last thing the government want is a tax revolt...don't want to upset all those lovely voters. So they will take the easy way out...delay the council rebanding and protect all those people who have made rash economic decisions from the reality of life.

Of course the government could use this opportunity to send out a clear message...if you can't afford the council tax on a four bed detached house...DONT' BUY ONE. Simple

Instead of a sweeping revaluation, why not set the tax on the value of the property at the last sale.

My parents bought a brand new house, slightly smaller than their old one, and significantly cheaper than their old one.

They were in band D, now they are in band G, because their new house was valued on what they paid & their old one on it's value in the 80s or 90s.

It makes perfect sense, if you pay £250k for a house, then that is the value it should be banded at.  The other advantage of this is, if you are a pensioner living in the family home, you will be banded at A, because you bought your house for 3/-6d in 1921.

Your proposal could introduce other distortions. I think the system in California is something like this (due to a referendum back in the 80's).

It makes perfect sense, if you pay £250k for a house, then that is the value it should be banded at.  The other advantage of this is, if you are a pensioner living in the family home, you will be banded at A, because you bought your house for 3/-6d in 1921.

Yes, you'd also have to make landlords repsonsible for council tax - they'd need to pass it on in rent, so it would put a big dampener on speculative buying as prices rise.

HPI linked council tax is the only way I can see to reduce boom and bust in the housing market.

Not surprisingly NONE of the political parties are considering it.

In the words of Frank Zappa - "Don't forget to vote!"

Guest Guy_Montag
Your proposal could introduce other distortions.  I think the system in California is something like this (due to a referendum back in the 80's).

Every method has distortions, like I said my parents traded down, but went up 3 bands. Incidently the house they bought was 2/3 the price they got for their old one. So we're not talking about a few percent here.

I also agree that landlords should be responsible for the council tax, passing it on in rent. This would, of course, lead to rent inflation for a year or two, but not too much. After all we all know how much we have to pay in council tax & if my landlady tried to put up the rent by too much, I would just walk away & leave her with an empty flat for a month or two.

Why should a single lawyer with no kids have to pay more tax than a chav with six kids who's been on welfare all her life?

People should pay for the services they use: that's the only way a tax can be 'fair'.

I doubt you're going to get much support using a lawyer as an example of a poor put-upon soul! :lol:

If people "only pay for the services they use", there's no point have a tax system at all. Start putting the coin-operated life support machines into hospitals now! :blink:

You're missing the point !!

They are still carrying out the revaluing procedures but the suggestion is that those valuations will now not be "activated".

Be very interesting if this proves to be true.

Sorry missing the point????

I had a visit 2 days ago from a revaluation officer regarding Council Tax who after visiting my home was going to reassess it.The officer said i would hear in two weeks weather my band would go up.I asked regarding others going up she said they would be reassessed in 2007 but any property that has been sold recently with any alterations is being assessed NOW! This is still going ahead !