House Price Crash Forum
guitarman001

New House Or Old Council?

Here's a question for you... would you rather own a newer-type house that's smaller with thin walls but looks nice on the outside with likely nice neighbours... or an old council type house which is probably more solid, bigger inside and much cheaper, with possible rubbish neighbours. I don't think the descriptions are too far off, and this decision will likely face many of us over the next few years.

To quote the that ditzy heffer Kirsty Allsopp, "location location location." She is right though I'd hate to live in fear of ones neighbors. Give me the rabbit hutch anyday over jeremey kyle ferrile youth.

Here's a question for you... would you rather own a newer-type house that's smaller with thin walls but looks nice on the outside with likely nice neighbours... or an old council type house which is probably more solid, bigger inside and much cheaper, with possible rubbish neighbours. I don't think the descriptions are too far off, and this decision will likely face many of us over the next few years.

The way the UK is going perhaps you need to add a third choice?

Look at the photograph in this link, then decide which floor?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/oct/03/foxconn-pay-rises

The answer depends on your upbringing.

If you've been brought up in council house you won't see the benefits and the justification of a smaller house in a nice location. If you've not, you're probably not hard enough to live in a council house!

You don't really have a choice do you?

I've lived in council all my life but some of the neighbours really get you down and you worry about your car getting scratched all the time!

Depends what comes into my price bracket, I guess - but good to get a discussion on the go!!

There are no guarantees with neighbours. I've only lived in private housing and consistently there has always been one who is a needy, whinging, grasping, complaining, bitch (or bitch-boy). If they're not complaining about trivia they're wanting you to pay for ******** repairs, and there's no reasoning with someone when they have an idée fixe about their homes. I've even caught a neighbour spying on my wifi connection.

On the other hand maybe I should be grateful they don't piss through my letterbox or happy slap me on the way to work!

"Sticks and stones will break my bones; but names will never harm me"

There's a lot to be said for that. However snooty/bitchy/awkward the middle classes can be, they tend not to stab you up on the way to the chippy

I personally, have this year bought the shittest house on the best road I can afford.

There is no simple answer. I live in an ex-cooncil hoose on the edge of one of the better estates. My street is @ 99% privately owned. The rooms are big, the houses well insulated, the gardens of a reasonable size and the general amenity is very good. A good plus on an ex-cooncil estate is that there are no exhorbitant private landscaping charges for the public areas.

On the down side, some of the original purchasers have started to die off and we have become victims of 'inherit to let.' Inheritors unable to get the ludicrous valuations of the boom have passed the houses back to the Cooncil for a set rent and the cooncil then lets them to jakey 'families' on HB. There are 3 lots along the road from me. The almost fortnightly attendance of large numbers of police cars is the only real give-away. Thankfully, these 3 Jeremy Kylesque tribelets seem to keep their jakeyness strictly entre-nous and content themselves with occasional fracas in the street (mostly during the day when the non-retired folk are at work) and seem content to slash each others' tyres. The other giveaway is the jungle gardens. In the cooncil hoose days, it used to be a pre-requisite of a tenancy on this estate that the tenant agreed to keep the garden in order. One of the jakeys even asked an 85 year old neighbour (who pays privately to have her garden maintained) if she could hang her washing on the pensioner's line as she couldn't get to her own line. Still having all her faculties, the pensioner refused the request with the helpful advice that the jakey might consider cutting her own grass!

One mad bint who occupies just about the only remaining cooncil hoose on the street (single woman, rent-free 2 bed cooncil hoose, but her aunt was a Labour Lord Provost) took to painting her hoose Balamory-style in delightful Barbie pink, turquoise and pewse green. A Court Order and more expense for the cooncil has seen that obscenity repainted. Sadly, the correct answer of eviction to more appropriate accommodation (one bed flat in Wester Hailes) was not applied.

There are some real horrors on my street - drug dealers, thugs, you name it.

One family asked the one downstairs if they could put a trampoline in THEIR front garden for the kids to play on... and the DID!! Probably out of fear! Suckers.

The answer depends on your upbringing.

If you've been brought up in council house you won't see the benefits and the justification of a smaller house in a nice location. If you've not, you're probably not hard enough to live in a council house!

You don't really have a choice do you?

Rubbish! If you think all the families who live in a council estate are the same, you have either lived the most closeted life ever, or your 10 years old!

I've seen doctors live happily on council estates, and I've seen a council worker (a bin man, not an executive) realise his greatest dream, and move into his privately built detached home.

To the OP, it's down to neighbours, not neighbourhood. There are some really nice cul-de-sacs on pretty rough estates, and the only reason their nice is that the people who live there are good neighbours.

Rubbish! If you think all the families who live in a council estate are the same, you have either lived the most closeted life ever, or your 10 years old!

I've seen doctors live happily on council estates, and I've seen a council worker (a bin man, not an executive) realise his greatest dream, and move into his privately built detached home.

To the OP, it's down to neighbours, not neighbourhood. There are some really nice cul-de-sacs on pretty rough estates, and the only reason their nice is that the people who live there are good neighbours.

Quite true. However the issue is with a Council estate you have a far higher chance of having some nightmare family move in next door.

I am sure it also happens on 'private' estates as well. However not as often.

To the OP, it's down to neighbours, not neighbourhood.

I disagree. Your neighbours can change very quickly leaving you stuffed in a dodgy neighbourhood. Also it your neighbourhood that you have to walk through alone at night and which determines your risk of car crime/burglary etc.

I am sure it also happens on 'private' estates as well. However not as often.

Oh it does, I live in one of the most expensive roads in one of the most expensive towns in the south east, and what do i have for a neighbour?

A proper pikey, got lucky and managed to buy in when prices were cheaper, and now aged approx 45 hes pissed out of his face all the time being realy loud, crashing his car into others (mostly his equally pikey girlfriends car) while drunk driving and generally being a nob head.

Everyone else in the area is nice and polite, minds their own business but still one idiot manages to spoil it.

Edited by Rozza