House Price Crash Forum
getknk

Uk Petrol Prices Reach Record High

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11968437

Petrol prices have hit a record average level of 121.76p for a litre of unleaded petrol, according to the monitors Experian Catalist.

It is expected that fuel prices will rise further in January once increased fuel duties and the higher VAT rate come into play.

Diesel is already at 127p in South East !! ph34r.gif

any foreseen petroleum crash?

Bring on two pounds/litre. Many advantages:

1) higher tax take for the government

2) Less chavs clogging up the road with chelsea tractors

3) crash in price of high fuel consumption cars

4) lazy and fat people may actually start walking/using public transport more.

5) ? less pollution.

Petrol is far too cheap. It should be expensive.

Time to do things differently....car sharing to work, to the supermarkets, go out less = spend less = bad for the economy....high fuel costs are bad for social mobility...high fuel costs cause higher living costs...high fuel costs create poorer people and a poorer country.

Fuel cost are made up mainly of taxes.....tax other things, not the things people need, but things people want...people and goods need to travel. ;)

Bring on two pounds/litre. Many advantages:

1) higher tax take for the government

2) Less chavs clogging up the road with chelsea tractors

3) crash in price of high fuel consumption cars

4) lazy and fat people may actually start walking/using public transport more.

5) ? less pollution.

Petrol is far too cheap. It should be expensive.

would have agreed if the public transportation was cheap.. I cant think train travel to be cheaper than car travel ever in this decade..

Experianbolloks.

Their stats are as useful as their credit ratings - which when push came to shove were not worth a hill of beans.

Still it gets some newpaper inches in pr.

Edited by OnlyMe

Every penny on the cost of diesel adds £50 a month on to the cost of running an articulated lorry and this all gets passed on at the supermarket till.

Time to do things differently....car sharing to work, to the supermarkets, go out less = spend less = bad for the economy....high fuel costs are bad for social mobility...high fuel costs cause higher living costs...high fuel costs create poorer people and a poorer country.

We need more savings, less spending and less debt. Lower spending might hurt frivolous peddlers of consumer tat in the short term, but we might actually get a viable economy in the long run.

High fuel costs must be a rounding error in terms of their effect on social mobility. Look no further than house prices and the educashun system.

Well having just had an oil delivery - heating oil is 50% higher than September of this year.

Seriously mate, with peak Oil and exhausting North Sea oil you seriously want to consider solar hot water panels on your roof - if it replaces heating oil it works out cheaper, and insulates (no pun intended) you from future heating oil price rises.

See Navitron or Solartwin for prices (I have no stake in either btw).

Seriously mate, with peak Oil and exhausting North Sea oil you seriously want to consider solar hot water panels on your roof - if it replaces heating oil it works out cheaper, and insulates (no pun intended) you from future heating oil price rises.

See Navitron or Solartwin for prices (I have no stake in either btw).

Or hedge by buying clean energy stocks which are still down 75% from their peak.

We need more savings, less spending and less debt. Lower spending might hurt frivolous peddlers of consumer tat in the short term, but we might actually get a viable economy in the long run.

High fuel costs must be a rounding error in terms of their effect on social mobility. Look no further than house prices and the educashun system.

We NEED a place to live.

We NEED a good education.

We NEED to move people and goods around the country.

We NEED to keep warm.

We don't need cheap tat...tax that. ;)

I only have sympathy with people who complain about high fuel prices if they've already downsized to an economical car, something like a diesel VW Polo, which does over 60 miles per gallon.

Hey I ride an ultra lean CBF250 which gets me 91MPG and fuel prices still hurt!

I see that the BBC is reporting that the higher prices are in part because of the bad weather, does anyone remember the drastic price cuts when the sun shone last summer ? No neither do I.

Every penny on the cost of diesel adds £50 a month on to the cost of running an articulated lorry and this all gets passed on at the supermarket till.

Which shows how cheap and efficient haulage is.

What's the value of goods hauled by a 40 tonne artic in a month? Divide £50 over that and the additional cost per item is the square root of FA.

I only have sympathy with people who complain about high fuel prices if they've already downsized to an economical car, something like a diesel VW Polo, which does over 60 miles per gallon.

Hey! I ride a push bike. 50 miles to the Mars Bar.

Would love to see prices go up and drivers slow down (or quit).

I see that the BBC is reporting that the higher prices are in part because of the bad weather, does anyone remember the drastic price cuts when the sun shone last summer ? No neither do I.

They can in effect charge what they want as long as people are prepared to pay for it....I saw today long queues at a petrol station charging 118.9p it was only a few months ago that I remember people were wailing and screaming when it reach the one pound barrier...soon it could be the two pound barrier...you can either pay it, or change your way of doing things...the more that do pay the higher it will go. ;)