House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
montesquieu

Inconvenience Due To Work

I'm not one to make a fuss but the wife has nagged me to come on and ask a question ....

Landlady has come back from India for a few months and wanted to get some work done that she had actually wanted to do before we moved in, but didn't because she was so disorganised. Been prompted by a leak in the en-suite bathroom that damaged the study ceiling. So she's replacing the en-suite bathroom - total rip-put and start again, new bath, shower, handbasin, loo, fresh tiles. She's also replacing the boiler which is an ancient, greedy old thing that's now unsupportable by British Gas.

Fine by me - the bath and shower have been unusable anyway and we've been using the main bathroom for 2 years now - but the retired old codger she's hired to so the work is ridiculously slow and has now buggered off for the week ... en suite was supposed to be finished by the weekend but it's barely started, he's not here today and my guess is we'll be lucky to be finished by next weekend.

Am also worried about the boiler issue - he has a Corgi mate to do the gas side and an electrician to do the wiring but all the radiators need to be bled which I'm guessing will take this old soak at least 2 days.

So we are in for three weeks of disruption in total, with Xmas looming. The boiler has to be re-sited as the old location of the flue is no longer legal, which means quite a bit of work in doing this.

To make matters worse the landlady is here all the time with her being a labourer for him (actually chatting on her mobile mostly) ... I work from home a lot so the inconvenience is actually considerable, however I am aware she is entitled to do 'maintenance'.

We were nearly turfed out in October when she came back from India and started complaining about the longish grass (I was in the US for a few weeks and it hadn't been done for about a month) and what would the neighbours think? - apparently if we were Indian the neighbours would see it as some kind of confirmation of English prejudice (as it happens the wife is also foreign, but doesn't give a xxxx what the neighbours think).

Anyway her and the landlady had a row (over attitude rather than anything substantive - typical women), and she served us written notice, and though I managed to resolve it after weeks of looking around for a new place (but not really wanting a moving date of December 30) there's still bad blood. I expect we'll move in the spring/summer but only in our own time and when we find the right sort of place.

Hence the wife asking whether we have any compensation rights for the disruption. I suspect not but happy to be informed.

I'm not one to make a fuss but the wife has nagged me to come on and ask a question ....

Landlady has come back from India for a few months and wanted to get some work done that she had actually wanted to do before we moved in, but didn't because she was so disorganised. Been prompted by a leak in the en-suite bathroom that damaged the study ceiling. So she's replacing the en-suite bathroom - total rip-put and start again, new bath, shower, handbasin, loo, fresh tiles. She's also replacing the boiler which is an ancient, greedy old thing that's now unsupportable by British Gas.

Fine by me - the bath and shower have been unusable anyway and we've been using the main bathroom for 2 years now - but the retired old codger she's hired to so the work is ridiculously slow and has now buggered off for the week ... en suite was supposed to be finished by the weekend but it's barely started, he's not here today and my guess is we'll be lucky to be finished by next weekend.

Am also worried about the boiler issue - he has a Corgi mate to do the gas side and an electrician to do the wiring but all the radiators need to be bled which I'm guessing will take this old soak at least 2 days.

So we are in for three weeks of disruption in total, with Xmas looming. The boiler has to be re-sited as the old location of the flue is no longer legal, which means quite a bit of work in doing this.

To make matters worse the landlady is here all the time with her being a labourer for him (actually chatting on her mobile mostly) ... I work from home a lot so the inconvenience is actually considerable, however I am aware she is entitled to do 'maintenance'.

We were nearly turfed out in October when she came back from India and started complaining about the longish grass (I was in the US for a few weeks and it hadn't been done for about a month) and what would the neighbours think? - apparently if we were Indian the neighbours would see it as some kind of confirmation of English prejudice (as it happens the wife is also foreign, but doesn't give a xxxx what the neighbours think).

Anyway her and the landlady had a row (over attitude rather than anything substantive - typical women), and she served us written notice, and though I managed to resolve it after weeks of looking around for a new place (but not really wanting a moving date of December 30) there's still bad blood. I expect we'll move in the spring/summer but only in our own time and when we find the right sort of place.

Hence the wife asking whether we have any compensation rights for the disruption. I suspect not but happy to be informed.

Speak to "Shelter" or CAB. They will be able to advise you best.

You have no compensation rights.

You do not have to allow access to the workman, although that doesn't really help.

If the work is a genuine repair and the landlord has not addressed it in a reasonable amount of time then you are able to get the work done yourself and deduct from future rent under a procedure outlined in lee-Parker vs izzet 1971. Cosmetic work not covered. But if the work is underway but slow you would have a harder time of it in court to show the landlord was unreasonable, so you would need lots of evidence and to allow more time than you'd probably like so that is of limited help until the situation gets ridiculous.

Is the guy being paid by the hour? Landlord might be paying for him to go slow and not be happy.

Sadly I think all you can do is see this as bad service and move on in your own time.

Edited by Princeofpounds