House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Bail For Suspect In Murder Case, But Not If You Are Accused Of Minor Sex Offences

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-11956226

The husband of a woman who was murdered on their honeymoon in South Africa has been granted bail by the High Court.

Shrien Dewani, 31, from Bristol, who is suspected of conspiring to murder his wife Anni was in custody after South African authorites had opposed bail.

Mrs Dewani, 28, from Sweden, was shot after being kidnapped in a taxi in Cape Town with her husband last month.

High Court judge Mr Justice Ouseley has now granted him bail at a hearing in London.

On Wednesday the City of Westminster Magistrates' Court had agreed bail on condition that he pay a £250,000 surety and wear an electronic tag.

Amazing this guy is wanted for possible orgainising the killing of his wife and is given bail yet the Wikileaks guy sits in jail for possible committing minor sex crimes which might result in a £700 fine.

Clearly it's not political with the wikileaks guy.

When setting bail a judge will consider

(i) likelihood of committing a further crime whilst on bail

(ii) whether the suspect has roots in the community and has a clear fixed abode

(iii) likelihood of absconding

In this case, the murder suspect easily ticks (i) and (ii) and clearly has persuaded the judge he won't do (iii)

In the Assange case, he is not a UK national hence fails (ii) and (iii). Also as he is being accused of multiple sex attacks, if he is guilty he is showing a pattern of violent behaviour towards women, ticking box (i).

This is why the murder suspect is on bail, and Assange isn't.

In the Assange case, he is not a UK national hence fails (ii) and (iii). Also as he is being accused of multiple sex attacks, if he is guilty he is showing a pattern of violent behaviour towards women, ticking box (i).

Except he voluntarily gave himself into police custody, thereby suggesting he wouldn't.

When setting bail a judge will consider

(i) likelihood of committing a further crime whilst on bail

(ii) whether the suspect has roots in the community and has a clear fixed abode

(iii) likelihood of absconding

In this case, the murder suspect easily ticks (i) and (ii) and clearly has persuaded the judge he won't do (iii)

This is why the murder suspect is on bail, and Assange isn't.

And, not forgetting that, as far as I'm aware, he has not actually been charged with it and, besides, this is an extradion hearing to a country outside the EU where the British judge has said there is a real possibility that he won't be convicted anyway.

Except he voluntarily gave himself into police custody, thereby suggesting he wouldn't.

It suggests nothing of the sort. II'm sure that his solicitor would have advised that he give him self up anyway as he would have been found sooner or later at which point he would definitely not have been bailed.

And, not forgetting that, as far as I'm aware, he has not actually been charged with it and, besides, this is an extradion hearing to a country outside the EU where the British judge has said there is a real possibility that he won't be convicted anyway.

Obviously the British judge is a little behind (LINK):

Other evidence stockpiled by police against Dewani, Mngeni and Qwabe includes a comprehensive trace on cellphone calls between the men, the M&G has learned.
The electronic signature determines by triangulation where the accused were at the time of the calls and the time it took to travel between the cellphone towers.
Police also have
damning SMSs sent by Tongo to Dewani and Dewani to Tongo
on the night of the murder.

Obviously the British judge is a little behind (LINK):

Other evidence stockpiled by police against Dewani, Mngeni and Qwabe includes a comprehensive trace on cellphone calls between the men, the M&G has learned.
The electronic signature determines by triangulation where the accused were at the time of the calls and the time it took to travel between the cellphone towers.
Police also have
damning SMSs sent by Tongo to Dewani and Dewani to Tongo
on the night of the murder.

Or perhaps not;

"Both attorneys claimed to the M&G last week that their clients had been tortured or assaulted by police. It is expected these torture claims could result in a trial within a trial to test the admissibility of the confessions obtained by police."

The UK courts will take an extraditon application from a country where a British citizen is going to be involved in a case where he has been implicated after other suspects may have been tortured very seriously indeed. That in it's self seriously undermines the credibility of the case. They will apply the principles of English law in determining whether there is a realistic likelyhood of him being convicted and in a case involving torture that likelyhood will be much reduced.

First bloke - Probably paid a taxi driver to murder his wife, with CCTV evidence to back it up

Second bloke - Nailed a couple of tarts who were totally up for it.

The jury of the real world rests.

I love the fact the this chappy has stated that he would be willing to return to South Africa on his 'own terms' so he could assist with the investigation. You’re a fecking murder suspect you fool you don’t have any negotiating headroom.

First bloke - Probably paid a taxi driver to murder his wife, with CCTV evidence to back it up

Second bloke - Nailed a couple of tarts who were totally up for it.

The jury of the real world rests.

Awesome!!! You've just saved the whole planet (well the civilised part of it, anyway) billions in that we can just adopt your system of trial by the press/numpties on internet boards and do away with the entire judicial system. Fvckin class!

If we couple your idea with Darkman's philosphy on executing people we'll be well sorted.

I love the fact the this chappy has stated that he would be willing to return to South Africa on his 'own terms' so he could assist with the investigation. You’re a fecking murder suspect you fool you don’t have any negotiating headroom.

Perhaps his terms are I'll come over talk to you and then leave again?

Perhaps his terms are I'll come over talk to you and then leave again?

Well...yes...that's probably the size of it but, as has already been mentioned - he's a murder suspect!

Well...yes...that's probably the size of it but, as has already been mentioned - he's a murder suspect!

So... he should be restrained from committing another murder... no? Desperate times call for desperate measures? Ever heard that phrase?

Tonight, I'll be locking all my doors and sitting on the stairwell with a Louisville Slugger just in case this Dewani shows up or any of his pimps contend to breach my domain.

If Assange shows up at my house and my Mrs. fancies a stroll with him through a secluded park that is her decision. Personal actions and consequences... Not to say that my Mrs. would do such a thing (Mrs. Koot will reply personally to anyone who suggests otherwise...).

So... you... see... the difference...?

So... he should be restrained from committing another murder... no? Desperate times call for desperate measures? Ever heard that phrase?

Tonight, I'll be locking all my doors and sitting on the stairwell with a Louisville Slugger just in case this Dewani shows up or any of his pimps contend to breach my domain.

If Assange shows up at my house and my Mrs. fancies a stroll with him through a secluded park that is her decision. Personal actions and consequences... Not to say that my Mrs. would do such a thing (Mrs. Koot will reply personally to anyone who suggests otherwise...).

So... you... see... the difference...?

Well...no...you're talking sh1t. If he goes to SA "on his terms" but during his stay there he finds out that they have more on him than he thought then he'll fvck off. The point of the lesseon being that the authorities want him there on their terms to prevent that happening. His terms are never going to provide for that eventuality.

Well...no...you're talking sh1t. If he goes to SA "on his terms" but during his stay there he finds out that they have more on him than he thought then he'll fvck off. The point of the lesseon being that the authorities want him there on their terms to prevent that happening. His terms are never going to provide for that eventuality.

If they have more on him than he thinks and he turns up why will he be able to do a disappearing act? He'll simply be arrested or he'll have to go on the run if he gets tipped off before hand.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2865111/Shrien-Dewani-walks-FREE-judge-clears-honeymoon-murder.html

Dewani acquitted but still continues to be hounded.

Looking at the facts of the case it was obvious that he was innocent from the start. It's completely implausible to arrive in a country for the first time and within hours entrust a stranger to organise a hit on your new wife. The South African police were just trying to shift the blame.

Rare bit of judicial sense IMO, prosecution based on the testimony of the murderers and an account that was obvious bo11ocks.

sounds about right for A Foreign Trial.