House Price Crash Forum
Alexj

Notice Period?

I am a tenant and I pay my rent monthly. I had a 12 month shorthold secure tenancy agreement that expired a few months ago. The letting agent drafted a new contract in the summer but it was never signed, so as far as I know there isn't a contract at the moment.

The tenancy agreement I had required 2 months notice but I'd like to terminate the tenancy today and give only one month's notice as I found out today that my new job abroad starts on 10th January.

Please can anyone tell me if I have to one or two month's notice?

Alexj,

If you look through the other threads under this topic you will find lots of arguments on this. The legal advice that I received in my own case a few years ago was that I needed to give one (1) months notice but it needed to coincide with a rental period (i.e. around the date you pay your rent).

As an extra note I'd add that it is best to send as a registered letter so you have proof. Also the normal warnings about taking photos when you move out so you can prove the property was left clean etc.

Good luck.

I'm pretty sure that if in the original contract it was a standard term then you only had and have to give one months notice (unfair terms in consumer contrracts and can't override statute). If it was a seperate term individually negotiated then it would have been and will be 2 months. So all you need is to check that the term isn't in and annex to the main contract and give one months notice. You don't need to give it on any particular day but the tenency can only be brought to an end on a day which is the end of a rental period.

Flopsy is right. You must give one month's notice to coincide with a rental period. So if you pay rent on the 15th , give notice before then and move out on the 14th (or earlier if surrender accepted, but you are still liable for the month's rent.

You are in a statutory periodic contract, which is the same as your fixed term one except for the clauses relating to timeframes. Google it for more info.

one month as per the above post.in many tenancy contracts tehy insert clauses that are contrary to statute and hope the tenant doesn't find out.liaise with CAB or Shelter to be sure.

Advice from my solicitor a few weeks ago was one month. LA didn't like it, but accepted it was the law.