House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mugwump Boy

Economic Cost Of Riots

There was an interesting aside in a piece in today's Guardian re the riots, and Charlie almost being beheaded by anarchists...

Guardian linky

It would be silly, as well as cynical, to imagine that David Cameron is privately pleased to see public indignation so easily deflected from his government's controversial policy. Or that Nick Clegg is positively thrilled to have a day off from his new constitutional role as air raid shelter for the Tories.

Why? Because they're not wicked or stupid. Trouble on the streets means political trouble and ill-affordable expense for the coalition. Two thousand coppers on overtime cost money.

Worse, today's FT's choice of page one photo is not Fleet Street's obvious choice – Camilla looking as if someone has just pinched her bottom (Charles is in the clear, his right hand visible). No, it picked flames in Parliament Square. Feather-brained markets may push up interest rates on government debt if they see many more like that. Greeks will be shaking their heads as they sip their German-funded breakfast coffees.

The cuts have barely started yet...

There was an interesting aside in a piece in today's Guardian re the riots, and Charlie almost being beheaded by anarchists...

Guardian linky

Did Charles and Camilla have a fleeting vision that they might be mere mortals after all?

Terrible those anarchists (or is that anti-christs). Must be terrorists in hoodies...

Spin spin spin.

Re Charles and Camilla... they were attacked by protesters

protesting about student cuts......

necessitated by a lack of public money.....

caused by GB and his evil regime......

which the Queen should have dissolved when it became obvious what they were doing.

If I was him I'd have gone home and torn her off a strip - not only will she not give him the reigns, but her inability to pull on them when needed nearly got him beaten up.

Edited by sbn

which the Queen should have dissolved when it became obvious what they were doing.

If I was him I'd have gone home and torn her off a strip - not only will she not give him the reigns, but her inability to pull on them when needed nearly got him beaten up.

One shat oneself.

Guardian linky

I thought that markets were completely rational and could not be blown off course by a few media reports?

One shat oneself.

Funny

I blame the idiots who did not factor in the risk of driving two exceedingly posh kept people in a fishbowl of a Rolls Royce near people protesting about government finances.

Its not like the other protests where incident free was it?

Guardian linky

hmmm. now do you see the subliminal messaging bit with testimony in songs??

and some of this:

Edited by oracle

The police lead the roayl straight into the protestors.

No explanation from them why.

Only possible explanation is for the photo opportunity.

One must be extremely careful to draw any conclusions from the information that filters through the MSM. I just don't trust anything.

About 6 years ago a Cardiff Professor published a study of the 'news' contained by major media sources (print and airwaves). He found that more than 60% of it originated from either government agencies or PR organizations.

When you couple this result with the agendas of the media owners (Murdoch comes to mind) there is very little opportunity to get any objective, factual information...

My in-laws are convinced, however, that these protests are carried out by evil, spoilt, law-breaking, anarchic, asbo-deserving (football) hooligans (as the Sun would label them) and no doubt will cheer when the Cops trample them with their horses...

Meanwhile I despair for the truth...and the ability of the public to engage in rational thought...

I was interested to see the mobile phone footage of the attack on the royal car and to hear the shouts of 'Tory scum'.

Do they think Prince Charles is a member of the Tories? If so it shows a woeful, though completely unsurprising, lack of constitutional knowledge.

I was listening as part of a lecture about terrorism from a chap who worked for MI5.

--

The UK relies on public order, and maintaining an environment safe to do business. It is imperative that this reputation is protected.

---

From that link http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2010/dec/10/tabloids-crocodile-tears-royal-car-attack

Feather-brained markets may push up interest rates on government debt if they see many more like that.

I was listening as part of a lecture about terrorism from a chap who worked for MI5.

--

The UK relies on public order, and maintaining an environment safe to do business. It is imperative that this reputation is protected.

---

From that link http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2010/dec/10/tabloids-crocodile-tears-royal-car-attack

Feather-brained markets may push up interest rates on government debt if they see many more like that.

Then if they do not want any more of this kind of stuff they had better wake up to the plight of the next generation.

Very few jobs , very little job security, very expensive housing, private pensions not worth the paper they are written on ( even if they could afford to pay into one) , prospect that they won't get a state pension untill they are 70+ ,

Have heard the mps saying the young should take their greviences through the democratic process but the young have woken up to what a sh-g this is.

Edited by miko

Unknowingly, the protestors may get their wishes* indirectly if the markets do take a turn for the worse. Although it will be more of a "forest fire", indiscriminate, and uncontrolled type event.

*Not free education necessaily, but other opportunities.

Edited by Money Spinner

Conversation today

Friend of a Friend , has a son who was told yesterday along with 9 others that they will be redundant in mid January. He is 26 degree educated and works for a city insurance company.

Today they were introduced to the Indians that they have to train before they leave who are taking their jobs to India.

This kind of thing is a fu--ing sh-g and our people need to wake up to what these companies are doing and do something about it. The whole fabric of our society is starting to implode before our eyes we can not carry on with a few rich milking everything and the rest being left with a few NMW jobs.

I see Charles as a follower and believer in Gordon's easy credit house price inflation system, with his chartiable foundation for some reason thinking it is sensible to do deals to buy hertigage houses as business propositions. Heritage houses with their collection of furniture at top money to prevent it going to other collectors, and becoming property developers, but now finding themselves deep in negative equity.

The strain on public finances wouldn't be as bad if we hadn't had house price inflation to the extent we did over just 10 years, and that boom requires crazy borrowers to keep on borrowing more money to pay over inflated prices. I like the 2nd article.

Land experts have told The Scotsman they believed as much as £12m could have been wiped off the value of the Knockroon site since the peak of the housing market boom in 2007.

"In some areas, we are seeing as much as a 60 per cent to 80 per cent depreciation from the peak," said Jamie Doran, associate director for residential development at property firm CBRE in Glasgow. "It does depend on the location, but certainly for stock in outlying areas, things are at the lower end.

9th September 2010 http://www.dailymail...ation-debt.html

10 September 2010 http://news.scotsman...akes.6524104.jp

June 2007 original purchase news item http://www.timesonli...icle1993673.ece