House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tiger Woods?

Wikileaks Founder's Past Writings

A book coauthored by Julian Assange on the Australian hacking scene of the late 1980s

http://www.xs4all.nl/~suelette/underground/Underground.pdf

His personal website up to 2007. The 2006/7 stuff is interesting reading from a psychological and motivational perspective

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://iq.org

still pretty ill and with headache, is there a short version?

still pretty ill and with headache, is there a short version?

Err...it is a book, so not unless the Reader's Digest have done a version. It's not a bad light read. Most of the way through it now, and as I grew up in that generation and had similar hobbies it was an interesting read. I used ot crack software, but never had a modem. Probably a good thing.

Err...it is a book, so not unless the Reader's Digest have done a version. It's not a bad light read. Most of the way through it now, and as I grew up in that generation and had similar hobbies it was an interesting read. I used ot crack software, but never had a modem. Probably a good thing.

I meant a summary or an idea of the content.

Weren't there any girls where you lived?

I meant a summary or an idea of the content.

The book, written over a decade ago, is a biography of about a dozen hackers and phreakers, their exploits, eventual capture and so forth, one of which was Assange. (More than half of the hackers discussed are/were from Victoria in Australia.) The interesting stuff is the subtext, the general philosophy and ethical positions expressed. There is a section at the end of the book where comments are made on the then current state of anti-hacker legislation. Also some biographical insights, both about his growing up, interactions with the law, betrayal by another hacker etc. It appears he was involved (albeit more locally) in Wikileak style activism starting in the mid 1990s. Unsurprisingly, Wikileaks didn't come from nowhere.

The postings on IQ.com are difficult to summarise, but they paint a picture. It is a stream of various postings that are obviously things that have caught his attention. A couple have probably arisen from his run ins with the law as a hacker. Difficult articulate when you have a stuffy head cold. Haven't quite ordered it in my own mind as yet. Well worth a read though if you are interested.

Weren't there any girls where you lived?

None that were interesting. I grew up in quite an isolated area, at least from the perspective of someone too young to drive.