House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Trust Me, I'm An Estate Agent:

The caveat is that folk can see the house, and neighbourhood, using tools such as Goobel street view, etc... so fancy editing isn't going to do much.

But, fools and their money are easily parted, and we are a nation of fools.

Can I highlight this bit?

Right at the bottom of the article it says:-

* Ignore agents' deliberate vagueness over "with offers in the region of", "guide price" or "offers in excess of". Instead work out what price the property would have reached at the peak of the market in 2007, then subtract 35 per cent.

* Ignore agents' deliberate vagueness over "with offers in the region of", "guide price" or "offers in excess of". Instead work out what price the property would have reached at the peak of the market in 2007, then subtract 35 per cent.

I was just about to cut and paste that as well.

The article seems to suggest that the selling price of the average Halifax house should be 130k (65% of the peak price of nearly 200k) versus the reported Halifax average of roughly 165k. This suggests that offers of 20% to 25% below current prices are the only ones that should be made.

I was just about to cut and paste that as well.

The article seems to suggest that the selling price of the average Halifax house should be 130k (65% of the peak price of nearly 200k) versus the reported Halifax average of roughly 165k. This suggests that offers of 20% to 25% below current prices are the only ones that should be made.

"Photoshop, a program fitted to many computers,' makes me imagine the article is being written by some old dude with a monacle who doesn't know who the Beatles are yet.

One of our local EA is on facebook.

They've recently taken some photos of Middleton Christmas lights...

but have added the phrase "actually look quite nice, but our photo probably doesn't do them justice"

:-/

|Remember your first offer should be lower than you are prepared to pay in a buyer's market, it's a start of negotiations.

"Photoshop, a program fitted to many computers,' makes me imagine the article is being written by some old dude with a monacle who doesn't know who the Beatles are yet.

I bolt my Photoshop to my electronic brain using No.6 Whitworth coarse thread screws.

Therein lies the problem - no EA is going to even put forward an offer 35% below asking price as it would make them look ridiculous to the client re the silly valuation they have given to secure the business.

So you have the situation where EAs - those not in cloud cuckoo land anyhow - knowing that a house is worth a third less than asking price but unwilling to put forward any offers... so buyers do not even view.

They have done it to themselves but, in the process, have brought the UK housing market to a grinding halt.

Therein lies the problem - no EA is going to even put forward an offer 35% below asking price as it would make them look ridiculous to the client re the silly valuation they have given to secure the business.

So you have the situation where EAs - those not in cloud cuckoo land anyhow - knowing that a house is worth a third less than asking price but unwilling to put forward any offers... so buyers do not even view.

They have done it to themselves but, in the process, have brought the UK housing market to a grinding halt.

Taking this to its logical conclusion - EAs that are only offering overpriced property are going to go bankrupt. Not the best business model really...