House Price Crash Forum

What On Earth? Is The Gulf Stream Broken?

HOLA441
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Off topic alright, more like yesterday’s news

My last post on desal had it the wrong way round.

But I have a brain wave we could reverse the reverse osmosis process and end up with the natural process of osmosis with energy as the by product.

We could feed fresh water into the back end of the plant, shovel in salt, and the osmosis process will force the pumps to generate power back into the grid and salt water will spew back out into the sea.

Patent ?

Ur too late - its already been done by us clever Europeans <_<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmotic_power

Keep trying :lol:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Oh so this really wasn't a serious thread.

I suspect it's a bit more complex than "oceanic circulation".

My husband did warn me that the majority of the posters on this site were of the "Little England" mentality. As an American I never really understood the phrase, but now I think I understand.

Ciao.

HOLA447
HOLA448

My husband did warn me that the majority of the posters on this site were of the "Little England" mentality. As an American I never really understood the phrase, but now I think I understand.

Ciao.

Well there is no great mystery. Its not difficult to go out and measure ocean current speeds, temperature, and salinity. Perhaps it is for yanks? :lol:

HOLA449

Ciao.

Hello Mrs. Bubb! :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4410

You obviously take this whole MMGW threat seriously based on the conviction of your scientific knowledge, That is good place to be and I wouldn’t condemn it for a moment. The only thing I would say based on your point is that in the real world it is the warmists that are forcing their agenda, not the coolists.

As witnessed by the dramatic restrictions on coal use:

china_coal_consump.png

Or possibly not.

To be honest, I strongly suspect that the current round of talks will lead to some window dressing, pretty words and no concrete action. And this state of affairs will continue for at least the next decade, probably longer. On the plus side, this means I'm going to be able to say 'I told you so' to a LOT of internet people. On the other plus side, a fair chunk of the City of London could end up under water.

HOLA4411

Well I am not likely to tramp out into the sea and measure the current speed. Besides I live in London, its a bit far.

I didn't mean to offend with the Little Englander comment. Is it offensive?

I am not sure if Mrs. Bubbs is appropriate as my husband is British.

I guess I will do my own research on this topic.

Thanks.

HOLA4412

Well I am not likely to tramp out into the sea and measure the current speed. Besides I live in London, its a bit far.

I didn't mean to offend with the Little Englander comment. Is it offensive?

I am not sure if Mrs. Bubbs is appropriate as my husband is British.

I guess I will do my own research on this topic.

Thanks.

Typical yank. full of your own importance.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Ciao.

Yes, there's England (Home of civilization), Cricket Playing Countries (relatively civilized), Rest of the Planet (Uncivilized, possibly foreign), and Wales (Practically French, and we all know what THAT means).

Ocean circulation isn't THAT complex. Completely from memory.. Water is warmed in the GOM; this warm water drifts in a surface layer into the North atlantic, with the gyre driven by coriolis forces. It drifts north of the UK and into the arctic, where the formation of sea ice increases ithe salinity of the rest of the water, causing it to sink and hence helping to keep the flow going. This water then flows south at a low level, only upwelling around the coast of Antarctica. Here, the water is chilled even more at the surfaceby sea ice formation, sinks and flows out along the bottom of the ocean.

It is highly unlikely at the moment that the Gulf Stream part of this has been disrupted. What could be happening (and this is at the 'uncertain hypothesis' stage) is an interaction with the sharply reduced Arctic sea ice extent.

http://www.pik-potsdam.de/news/press-releases/global-warming-could-cool-down-temperatures-in-winter

Or it could just be freak weather.

HOLA4415

A couple of weeks of cold winter weather and suddenly there all these bizarre theories about shifting ocean currents, new Ice Ages, lizards and goodness knows what else.

Can't people just accept its a BIT OF COLD WEATHER, and that is all. I remember quite a few properly cold winters, and my dad remembers many a lot

We are like primitive people, still reading "omens" into every unusual weather pattern - week-long heatwave = manmade global warming, WE'RE DOOMED!

Two weeks of (a couple of feet of) snow, and "its a new ice age, WE'RE DOOMED!

Heavy rain, a few hundred houses get flooded = global warming, we can expect VIOLENT WEATHER, AND BY THE WAY, WE'RE DOOMED!

Grow up and deal with it. People are too short-term in their thinking.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

We've had harsh winters before. Just because we've just had a prolonged freeze doesn't mean our climate's going to change! I remember the winter of 1963 when birds died frozen to branches on trees.

Anyway, if Britain does start to get colder we know what we need to do - all go out and buy clapped-out old Range Rovers and drive around pumping more CO2 into the atmosphere. :lol:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Hello Mrs. Bubb! :lol::lol::lol:

Obviously Mrs Bubb hasn't found out what the 'rest' of the World think of the Americans yet?

Saw a great quip about Geography lessons, American troops, invasions/wars recently will try to find it.

Where are you, you old Greeny - not 'sticking' up for the cause any moor? :P

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Obviously Mrs Bubb hasn't found out what the 'rest' of the World think of the Americans yet?

Saw a great quip about Geography lessons, American troops, invasions/wars recently will try to find it.

Where are you, you old Greeny - not 'sticking' up for the cause any moor? :P

Its a lost cause.

Doing my bit out here though. Advancing composting schemes / energy recovereh. We might even be planning wind farms ;)

HOLA4424

I have a strong suspicion Fluffy666 IS Phil Jones.

Phil-lestine

"Hockey-stick"

'J'-ones

Masons code for Christ is J-2O/J-O2 (summat like that)

HOLA4425

Is there anyone posting on this topic who TRULY understands the Gulf stream, and how it works?

Just wondering?

pfft - being completely ignorant of stuff never stopped the GW thread getting to 300 pages.

Archived