House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Bath Is At A Crossroads – So Where Do We Go From Here?

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/letters/Bath-crossroads-8211/article-2984203-detail/article.html

It's wake up time for Bath.

Our largest employer, the MOD is about to up sticks and depart to north Bristol. We have too many schools for too few pupils. Manufacturing has all but disappeared. Just one weekly newspaper, no TV or radio stations, and house prices in the main above the grasp of the many.

Bath is a very nice place to bring up a family though, I lived there from the age of 5 to10 and we loved it there, there will always be wealthy people downsizing from London or people who through technology can work anywhere whom it will be very attractive to, the pricing is not going to be based on what local min wage employees can afford but what those moving in from outside can pay. One thing you are right about is the schools closing , my old school St Marys is now a bunch of offices !

The first step to solving the problems is to admit you have a problem. Some areas are ahead of the curve for hitting the brick wall. Often areas that have been most successful at getting to the next phase of the economy.. like California the world champion of information technology.

I lived in Bath for 18 months, beautiful place, unfortunately, it's full of snobs though - w**kerish ex-London types, traffic is chronic, there's nothing much in it, the locals are rough, the Bath Uni Students are p**cks, it's too f**king hilly, house prices are hilarious, you're miles from civilisation ( apart from Britsol ) and you have to put up with 6 months of Italian and Japanese tourists scurrying under your feet like little dogs every year.

It is certainly different...it's a pain in the a**e living there.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

More immigrants.

You need more immigrants. That will solve everything.

If all the directions from the crossroads do not hinge around more immigrants, you are all massive racists.

More immigrants.

You need more immigrants. That will solve everything.

If all the directions from the crossroads do not hinge around more immigrants, you are all massive racists.

Immigration could be good for the UK....we could get the whole of poland tomove here...then f**k off to poland and live there, houses are cheaper :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bath is a very nice place to bring up a family though, I lived there from the age of 5 to10 and we loved it there, there will always be wealthy people downsizing from London or people who through technology can work anywhere whom it will be very attractive to, the pricing is not going to be based on what local min wage employees can afford but what those moving in from outside can pay. One thing you are right about is the schools closing , my old school St Marys is now a bunch of offices !

How old are you now?

I live near Gloucester so go to Bath often. Its a wonderful place to visit - I will be going again soon to see the renovated Roman Baths, but I wouldn't live there - congestion that never dies down, expensive shops, and the begging is pathetic and annoying.

I reckon a fair few Londoners regret the move epecially as the prices are a good 75-80% of a decent London suburb so you don't gain that much after transaction costs.

HPC will continue for at least 2 years with the Austerity measures and is a percentage so places like Bath will decrease far more in absolute terms.

Edited by xux42

Won't MOD workers drive the few miles to Bristol?

I work in Bath.. can't afford a decent house there what with only being in the top ~5% of local wage earners*.. but the problem with the MoD move is that it's to North Bristol. If, like us, you live out to the south of Bath, then north bristol might as well be Central London as far as commuting goes..

Bath - indeed that whole area - is very odd. Nowhere that anyone except the rich can afford to live, no industry and no building (NIMBYs rule). I'd be sort-of optimistic about its survival (although the congestion and the tourists can make it infuriating), except I can't work out where the serfs are meant to live...

Bath - indeed that whole area - is very odd. ....

I agree - its the only place I've ever seen/been where there are signs in the public car park saying "no launching hot air balloons from this car park".

Bath - indeed that whole area - is very odd. Nowhere that anyone except the rich can afford to live, no industry and no building (NIMBYs rule). I'd be sort-of optimistic about its survival (although the congestion and the tourists can make it infuriating), except I can't work out where the serfs are meant to live...

Baff is an exception, it's a small but wealthy city full of 'old money' and 'new money'. The property market there has hardly been touched by the recession and the place makes millions from tourism each year. Where I disagree is that this doesn't apply to the whole area - as soon as one moves out beyond the city and the immediately surrounding posh villages, the 'Bath effect' disappears. Bradford-on-Avon, Keynsham, Trowbridge, Corsham, Westbury, Radstock - they're all in the doldrums.

Baff is an exception, it's a small but wealthy city full of 'old money' and 'new money'. The property market there has hardly been touched by the recession and the place makes millions from tourism each year. Where I disagree is that this doesn't apply to the whole area - as soon as one moves out beyond the city and the immediately surrounding posh villages, the 'Bath effect' disappears. Bradford-on-Avon, Keynsham, Trowbridge, Corsham, Westbury, Radstock - they're all in the doldrums.

I am not from the UK orginally but I have been living and working in Bath for the last 5 years. Loved it at the beginning but as soon as you really starting living in the town you realise how badly it catters for its residents.

Bath is all about: Rich people living in its immediate centre, tourist and students.

I now only come to the centre of Bath to work, I shop outside of Bath, go to the restaurant or pub outside of Bath and soon will live outside of Bath. I am looking at buying something at the end of 2011 but there is no way I would pay Bath price.

I disagree with you when you say that Bath has been unaffected by the recession. How many businesses and shops have closed? Many of my friends lost their jobs in 2008/2009.

The prices have come down a little whatever people are saying. in 2007 you could not find a 3 bedroom houses for less than 200000/220000€even in some awful south parts of the city. You can now find them for 170000/180000. But why would I paid this price to live in an awful part of the city when the same amount would buy me a much larger house in a nice area 20min drive from Bath centre?

All in all Bath is going nowhere unless it realised that there is more than just communiting rich londoners, students and tourists in the city and that they should perhaps start to look after its residents.

All in all Bath is going nowhere unless it realised that there is more than just communiting rich londoners, students and tourists in the city and that they should perhaps start to look after its residents.

That's very much my impression. I don't live there, but a close friend does (just outside). Every time I visit, I end up scratching my head and wondering how the whole place can still be there. The only place I've visited that seemed even more bizarre was Corsham...

I actually live in Bath and love it. :D

I'm a Bristol boy and STR'd two years ago to rent a v.nice 3 bed semi on the out skirts near the racecourse for £850/m. At the peek of the market the same place was £1000+. Yes the traffic can be a nightmare plus loads of tourists in the summer but it doesn't bother me as I avoid all of the above and choose a time when its less crowded i.e mostly evenings. Although in the summer the female subset within the crowd add to the atmosphere of Bath if you know what I mean B) and much better that the chavy bints in Bristol :blink:

You may think Bath is pricey but trust me, prices are depreciating in terms of houses, restaurants pubs etc. My theory is this based on the 80/20 rule. 20% of people living in Bath have money, the remaining 80% MEW and max out credit cards to live like the 20% and not sustainable in the long run! :lol:

During the boom years (like houses) the restaurant/pub market etc got vastly inflated and the city council lived high on the hog via taxes/rates etc. Now the competition for punters is hotting up there are some amazing deals to be had mid week. Now its "compete" by dropping your prices or "die" in going out of business. Friday/Saturday's are as mad as ever but this is not reflected in the prices as everything is gradually deflating across the city athough not fast enough for my liking <_<

Ere In door and I watched the market for a while when we first moved here and detected price reductions month on month. But by our reckoning there are tonnes of people who are trying to catch a falling knife in timing the market. After monitoring the market for a while we gave up looking as we love renting. When something needs fixing its a quick call to the letting agency and its done i.e. new boiler this year and radiator just last week! :rolleyes:

So we just kick back, relax, while away the evening taking advantage of all the restaurant deals on offer and enjoy life while my STR fund in gold increases or holds its value (thanks this site) and enjoy life in what I consider to be a very nice city.

I'd rather do this than tracking the latests price reductions on Rightmove and waiting for a crash that may be years away ( or never :ph34r: )

Edited by dammfoolman

Won't MOD workers drive the few miles to Bristol?

Oddly enough, seemingly not.

A friend of mine lived in Bath, works for MOD and had to relocate to the Bristol MOD site so he moved. I found it odd as he was basically driving 10 miles each way to work, if that, whereas I was commuting Swansea to Bath and back daily.

Apparently the Bristol MOD sites are about to have big job losses - but I will believe that when I see it.

It has surprised me in recent months to learn this big mindset difference between those who will happily commute long distances to work and those for whom a 5 mile commute is to the end of the planet - frankly, I think the latter have more sense than the likes of I.

Oddly enough, seemingly not.

A friend of mine lived in Bath, works for MOD and had to relocate to the Bristol MOD site so he moved. I found it odd as he was basically driving 10 miles each way to work, if that, whereas I was commuting Swansea to Bath and back daily.

Apparently the Bristol MOD sites are about to have big job losses - but I will believe that when I see it.

It has surprised me in recent months to learn this big mindset difference between those who will happily commute long distances to work and those for whom a 5 mile commute is to the end of the planet - frankly, I think the latter have more sense than the likes of I.

Long commutes are OK if you can dodge congestion.

Mine is 17 miles. Initially 45mins, I now know 3 places to use service roads to jump long queues to junctions so its 30 mins now with much better mpg.

I have been using this route for 5 days.

WTF are the locals doing sitting like zombies? Also I have seen several spiky haired kids in rattly hatches zoom past on the MK bypass at 90 only to be seen 15 cars behind after my sneaky shortut through a trading estate at 25 :lol:

I thinks that what's referred to as double muppetry.

No MOD staff will not just start commuting to another site. Know a few and after long conversations the impression I get is that they are flexible as hell in combat and the total opposite in peacetime. Salt of the earth though and people to have close to you if the SHTF.

Its a military thing.

Edited by xux42

I remember the last housing market crash....2 people I know got hammered, they bought into the ever increasing price rises...one of them bought a house in Widcome with a mate as they couldn't afford anywhere else....4 years later it was worth half what they paid...one of them bought the other out...they never spoke again.

Bath is different...it's full of rich stupid people rather than just stupid people. :lol:

Twerton, where they always have.