House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nohpc

Students

Good to see students rioting and not putting up with government ******** speak. Essentially the government have now condemed all students to massive amounts of debt once they leave university if they are lucky enough to ever find a job. Debt which will accumulate interest as well. Generations before have enjoyed free education and remain silent and on the side (including myself).

I'm surprised no other groups have rioted yet. Other countries seem to be much more militant (look at Greece).

The whole country is being made to suffer severe cutbacks while the banks that caused the whole mess are still paying massive bonuses and making huge profits.

I'm with Peter Schiff on this, cut off the subsidised loans and the universities will be forced into lowering their prices to remain in business.

It's the university loans system is causing the debt, not tuition fees. It's another bubble that needs to be popped with sound money and free market principles, i,e not just issuing more and more debt to paper over the cracks.

Good to see students rioting and not putting up with government ******** speak. Essentially the government have now condemed all students to massive amounts of debt once they leave university if they are lucky enough to ever find a job. Debt which will accumulate interest as well. Generations before have enjoyed free education and remain silent and on the side (including myself).

I'm surprised no other groups have rioted yet. Other countries seem to be much more militant (look at Greece).

The whole country is being made to suffer severe cutbacks while the banks that caused the whole mess are still paying massive bonuses and making huge profits.

Absolute bull**** on so many levels.

Absolute bull**** on so many levels.

Oh. Thought you were going to say something intelligent there in rebuffal. Brain stop working after the first sentance?

Sorry, but this is bvllshit.

A hoard of privileged kids with mobile phones, designer wear, and bellies full of takeaway out smashing up public property and hurling abuse/missiles at police is not cool.

Oh, boo freaking whoo, little Johnny and Sarah can't go to University for some pointless degree. Gee, go smash a window or beat up a cop. Higher education is for the academically gifted. A dumb degree for a monkey is the last thing they need. Probably 80-90% of the degrees offered today are a complete farce.

Kids should be angry that their parents and grandparents have pushed them down the avenue of debt and 'education, and at the same time are wholesale profiteering from them.

This is all about manipulation, by those not on camera.

What this does say though, is that the moral fibre of the UK is gone, and that there are parasitical generations behind the young, feeding ravenously.

Having just watched the news what is being highlighted is that the trouble was inevitable and not caused by just the students.

If they have agreed a route with Scotland yard don't then try and stop them from walking that route. What was even more shocking was watching a student being interviewed being assaulted by a police officer from out of nowhere.

They are highlighting the start of state failure, the elites are clinging on desperately to power and money but times are changing.

Should students pay for there education, yes. However if they are going to earn more they are going to pay more tax. With target rates of 40%+ attending higher education not everyone is going to earn more and a lot of courses are going to be junk.

I predict and always have that it isn't students rioting that will be the problem, it will be those on benefits. Given the way the cuts are going this won't just be people out of work but those also claiming tax credits, housing benefit and pensioners.

The police are also going to have a problem in that they are escalating the violence with some of the tactics used. How long will it be before we see petrol bombs, rioters in riot gear and tooled up. The state cannot control large volumes of the population if they choose civil disobedience and things will reach a point where attempts to do so will be counter productive.

Nothing is more important to the future of the country. Education should be last thing (other than defence) to be cut.

The big picture is that this constant theft from the young to pay for the present/past has to stop. The greedy bastards of today/yesterday (i might be one of them) need a ******ing good kick in the teeth IMO.

Strange, I was watching coverage of the student riots on Spanish news and they were commenting on how this sort of stuff happens in other countries except Spain, even though the "yoof" in Spain has quite a lot more to complain about.

A hoard of privileged kids with mobile phones, designer wear, and bellies full of takeaway out smashing up public property and hurling abuse/missiles at police is not cool.

Oh, boo freaking whoo, little Johnny and Sarah can't go to University for some pointless degree. Gee, go smash a window or beat up a cop. Higher education is for the academically gifted. A dumb degree for a monkey is the last thing they need. Probably 80-90% of the degrees offered today are a complete farce.

Kids should be angry that their parents and grandparents have pushed them down the avenue of debt and 'education, and at the same time are wholesale profiteering from them.

What this does say though, is that the moral fibre of the UK is gone, and that there are parasitical generations behind the young, feeding ravenously.

great post. spot on.

The police are also going to have a problem in that they are escalating the violence with some of the tactics used. How long will it be before we see petrol bombs, rioters in riot gear and tooled up. The state cannot control large volumes of the population if they choose civil disobedience and things will reach a point where attempts to do so will be counter productive.

I happen to disagree with all these hordes of proles wanting handouts, but regardless of the rights and wrongs of the protest, I do think the pigs deserve a good kicking. Kettling, mounted charges to provoke peaceful protesters, and the premeditated murder at the Gwhatever protest.. The police are out of control and mocking us with their criminal activities.

The country is on a knife edge, sick of hearing that "we don't mind peacefull protest but violence cannot be condoned!" sorry but it is the only way to be listened to!

I'm more and more inclined to agree with this. Look how much airtime and politician rethink the student protests have generated. Real food for thought.

There's no need for violence when mass civil disobedience has a better effect. Besides, when almost everyone has a camera the chance of either side getting away with physical abuse is remote and the consequences when the act is splashed on You Tube, dire. Much easier to juggle the finances and claim a moral victory in time for the next election.

....it was'nt free ...you paid for it as a taxpayer in full...you still do for Scots in Scotland ....the rioters are just Labour lackeys hijacked by the unions to cause trouble ...who's going to employ them....nothing is free ....they should at least understand that.... and 150,000 in 1990 and 450,000 today... a lot to be 'free'..... :rolleyes:

Send in the water cannon.

For those whining about previous generations getting it free, are you not conveniently forgetting that we did not have 50% of sodding school leavers expecting to go back then?

1. Ask how many jobs need a degree.

2. Base the amount of courses available on that.

3. Fund the 'hard' courses.

I'm with Peter Schiff on this, cut off the subsidised loans and the universities will be forced into lowering their prices to remain in business.

It's the university loans system is causing the debt, not tuition fees. It's another bubble that needs to be popped with sound money and free market principles, i,e not just issuing more and more debt to paper over the cracks.

+1 The universities have expanded massively over the years 1990 there were 150,000 students to today with 450,000 students. Also there are more and more support staff and IT departments which are grossly ineffiecent and over staffed.

this is a massive ponzi bubble that needs to be lanced. Just a shame the students are having to suffer for the mistakes of another new labour ideal of 50% of young going to university.

....it was'nt free ...you paid for it as a taxpayer in full...you still do for Scots in Scotland ....the rioters are just Labour lackeys hijacked by the unions to cause trouble ...who's going to employ them....nothing is free ....they should at least understand that.... and 150,000 in 1990 and 450,000 today... a lot to be 'free'..... :rolleyes:

The Boomers and Generation X have a damn nerve telling students today that 'nothing is free' when the costs of so much of what we have enjoyed for the last few decades have been passed on to future generations. When Lord Young spoke the truth a few weeks ago and said that 'some people have never had it so good' in this 'so-called recession' he sure as hell wasn't talking about anyone under the age of 25. We are robbing future generations to pay for our own waste and profligacy and it has to stop.

I hear some philosophy student has got brain damage.

Ha!

He'll probably end up now getting a more useful job, in McDonalds or something.

Is this meant to be funny? I know someone with a double first in philosophy who is a leading figure in cancer research. You wouldn't get a third in picking your feet.

Is this meant to be funny? I know someone with a double first in philosophy who is a leading figure in cancer research. You wouldn't get a third in picking your feet.

Bully for your mate, then.

This lad didn't even have the sense not to get involved in a brawl with the riot police, so he can't be that smart.

Anyway, as I said, having brain damage won't disqualify him for a lot of today's run-on-the-mill, deskilled bollokcs jobs.....

Mobile phones that cost ****** all a month, designer wear that is a damn sight cheaper to buy than reasonably usefull gear from even just a decade ago, takeaway that is cheaper and more accessible than fresh food; smashing up the property of public bodies that screw them (and every single one of us here) over with glee at any opportunity, and respond in kind to police that detain them without cause and direct disproportionate violence towards them at any opportunity.

If they aren't in education they will be signed on the dole, no question. Better they try and learn something the shocking school system failed to give them, the option is likely to be going on the rob in some upmarket neighbourhoods.

You are right, they should be angry at the older generations, they should be angry about the manipulation.

The moral fibre is ripped out from under us, it will take a few more days like yesterday before some of them start to acquire it - when they do the rest of us are going to pay.