House Price Crash Forum

Manchester Keeps Spending

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/dec/09/library-theatre-cornerhouse-project

Cinema and theatre get together for £19m Manchester arts adventure

The project, tentatively dubbed The Art Factory in a nod to the Factory Records founder Tony Wilson, could be open within three years. It will house five cinemas, a vast contemporary gallery space, a 500-seat theatre, education space and a cafe.

Shame they picked someone who died broke:

"When they said I would have to pay £3,500 for the drugs each month, I thought where am I going to find the money? I'm the one person in this industry who famously has never made any money"

HOLA442
HOLA443

Excellent news!

I'd far rather watch an obscure film at Cornerhouse even with it's leaky roof than that sh1t they churn out to the popcorn chewing plebs in the US-style multiplexes with their sticky floors and the incessant sound of cellophane wrapped sweeties being gorged.

£19m sounds like a bargain.

HOLA444

Excellent news!

I'd far rather watch an obscure film at Cornerhouse even with it's leaky roof than that sh1t they churn out to the popcorn chewing plebs in the US-style multiplexes with their sticky floors and the incessant sound of cellophane wrapped sweeties being gorged.

£19m sounds like a bargain.

Why do they need 19M to do this though?

Everyone is obsessed with shiny new build nonsense.

I saw Even Cowgirls Get the Blues there many years ago.

:)

HOLA445

They should keep Cornerhouse where it is. It's a bad move, its nowhere near busy enough to fill the capacity it has at the moment, and an expensive move to a new building could probably load the place up with debt. It will probably end up showing pantos with Bobby Davro, The Crankies and some c-list big brother contestants.

Manchester is also spending 20 million on refurbing Central Library, apparently it will improve disabled access, and 20 million is a price well worth paying.

Edited by enrieb

HOLA446

Manchester is also spending 20 million on refurbing Central Library, apparently it will improve disabled access, and 20 million is a price well worth paying.

WTF is wrong with the current disabled access? It's all accessible ... Or is there some super new law they need to comply with