House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bpw

Spot The Hypocrits

Is it just me? The west condems China for censoring the internet and makes a huge fuss over China supressing the truth. And now the West shuts down Wikileaks which has released evidence of widespread corruption and abuse of powers (Clinton!)

The public should deal with this orwellian nightmare and swiftly...... if they are too passive then lets hope our students take the initiative.

Spot on. When I were a lad back in the seventies and eighties, adults used to tell me how bad things were behind the Iron Curtain, with the authorities following your every move, and with government censorship and propaganda instead of the truth. It's surprising to find out that the East Germans were right all along and it was us who were getting it wrong.

Spot on. When I were a lad back in the seventies and eighties, adults used to tell me how bad things were behind the Iron Curtain, with the authorities following your every move, and with government censorship and propaganda instead of the truth. It's surprising to find out that the East Germans were right all along and it was us who were getting it wrong.

+1

I remember stories about brave escapes across the Iron Curtain. They always seemed to go in one direction. We never heard about the escapes in the other direction.

I travelled around the Soviet Union in the early 80's. It all seemed so relaxed, wealthy (no tatt), friendly, safe and free. Went all over the place by car, train and plane. Never once felt unsafe or followed.

You couldn't do that now. Russians are in fear of the police.

Watched the films the lives of others - which showed about how people movements and conversation were monitored, with informers etc - It looked like quite a job and a lot of equipment with a team of people just to monitor a person or group of people, plus lots of their "friends" were informers. I imagine today it would so much easier to monitor people, plus with the internet and smart phones - monitoring of people is so much more insidious.

But I do agree, although your not going to get thrown in prison in the west, we all know monitoring and censorship goes on.

Could be said for a lot of things though.

My grandmother grew up in Nazi germany, and, for her at least, the one thing it cant be described as was facist.

They average german under Nazi rule seemed to have a lot better time than the average Briton under labour or the conservatives, at least.

Course, there is the Jewish thingy, but no one really liked the jews back then. It was either Kill them as in germany, or watch them get killed as in most of the rest of the world.

I moved to an ex-communist state, if they try to impose the that shit here there would be a revolution - they will never try it again.

Wikileaks is mere emphasising what has been going on since 2001, it not new. Finger printing and DNA samples of people the police randomly pick up off the street? Finger printing children at school without parent permission? CC cameras? speed, traffic , number plate reading camera's?

UK is a full blow police state

Watched the films the lives of others - which showed about how people movements and conversation were monitored, with informers etc - It looked like quite a job and a lot of equipment with a team of people just to monitor a person or group of people, plus lots of their "friends" were informers. I imagine today it would so much easier to monitor people, plus with the internet and smart phones - monitoring of people is so much more insidious.

But I do agree, although your not going to get thrown in prison in the west, we all know monitoring and censorship goes on.

Yes and to make it easy we congregate on forums typing our thoughts and fears in a nice permanent, searchable, format.

The technology to transcribe phone calls has existed for 30 years when all international calls were converted to text and checked. I expect the same goes for UK calls as well, today.

Is it just me? The west condems China for censoring the internet and makes a huge fuss over China supressing the truth. And now the West shuts down Wikileaks which has released evidence of widespread corruption and abuse of powers (Clinton!)

The public should deal with this orwellian nightmare and swiftly...... if they are too passive then lets hope our students take the initiative.

Certain people in the USA accuse other states of being full of "reglious fundamentalists", as if they had none of their own! ;)