House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Food Stamp Usage Up 16.2% Nationally, Over 20% In 13 States;

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-12-08T14%3A38%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=3

'42.9 million people collected food stamps last month, up 1.2% from the prior month and 16.2% higher than the same time a year ago, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Nationwide 14% of the population relied on food stamps as of September but in some states the percentage was much higher. In Washington, D.C., Mississippi and Tennessee – the states with the largest share of citizens receiving benefits – more than a fifth of the population in each was collecting food stamps.

Sample Details

* 16.2% Year-Over-Year Change Nationally

* 39.1% Year-Over-Year Change in Idaho

* 28.7% Year-Over-Year Change in Nevada

* 27.2% Year-Over-Year Change in New Jersey

* 26.0% Year-Over-Year Change in Rhode Island

* 25.9% Year-Over-Year Change in Utah

* 25.8% Year-Over-Year Change in Florida

* 21.5% of population in D.C. on Food Stamps

* 20.4% of population in Mississippi on Food Stamps

* 20.1% of population in Tennessee on Food Stamps'

There's no chance of a double/treble dip with this strong set of figures showing the way.

Are starving people a leading or lagging indicator of central bank success? I only hope the UK can carry on emulating Ben's clever strategy of lining the pockets of the banker's and getting the peasants to pay for it.

See my state (RI) is well up the list. Main supermarket that takes these is Priceright (cheapest foodstore). I avoid it like the plague on the 1st. of the month. I kid you not the aisles are full waiting for a till. It's a shocking site and pitiful in the extreme. Mrs. Watkins is a big donator to the RI foodbank, me less so to my eternal shame. I understand, however, that even accounting for the economic times, people are still giving generously. Don't know if it would happen in this country to be honest.

Could fraud explain part of the problem?

How does the allocation of food stamps differentiate between those in need and those trying it on?

Can anyone from the states shed some light on this?

See my state (RI) is well up the list. Main supermarket that takes these is Priceright (cheapest foodstore). I avoid it like the plague on the 1st. of the month. I kid you not the aisles are full waiting for a till. It's a shocking site and pitiful in the extreme. Mrs. Watkins is a big donator to the RI foodbank, me less so to my eternal shame. I understand, however, that even accounting for the economic times, people are still giving generously. Don't know if it would happen in this country to be honest.

How do people in the US reconcile this with the image of America as a rich and powerful country- do they just assume the food stamp people are all personal failures- or are they begining to question the system?

Some interesting studies have been done in the US looking at the multiplier effect of various stimulus options. The results were as follows.

Temporarily Increase Food-stamps (multiplier 1.73)

Extend Unemployment Insurance Benefits (multiplier 1.64)

Increase Infrastructure Spending (multiplier 1.59)

With the worst being:

Make Bush Tax Cuts Permanent (multiplier 0.29)

Cut Corporate Tax Rate (multiplier 0.30)

Make Dividend Tax Cuts Permanent (multiplier 0.37)

It seems that cutting taxes for already rich people and hoping they spend the extra money is far worse for an economy than distributing this money to people who need it and getting it circulating around the economy. Shocking I know.

Some interesting studies have been done in the US looking at the multiplier effect of various stimulus options. The results were as follows.

How long do you think we should spend money we haven't got before we say enough is enough?

How do people in the US reconcile this with the image of America as a rich and powerful country- do they just assume the food stamp people are all personal failures- or are they begining to question the system?

Sort of interesting that the societal reaction so far is to blame each person on an individual level. If only they had done things differently or saved more they wouldn't be where they are now.

Did these economists calculate the multiplier effect of breaking a window?

Did these economists calculate the multiplier effect of breaking a window?

I understand what you are getting at but clearly in the states there is sufficient total income for people not to be starving. And the role of the government is to offer protection to the citizens, taxation being the price of living in a civilised society.

In that case taking $10 from someone who is rich and giving it to someone who is poor to buy a meal is far more of a stimulus for the economy than that $10 sitting in a locked safe.

I understand what you are getting at but clearly in the states there is sufficient total income for people not to be starving. And the role of the government is to offer protection to the citizens, taxation being the price of living in a civilised society.

In that case taking $10 from someone who is rich the future via government debt and giving it to someone who is poor to buy a meal spending it today is far more of a stimulus for the economy than that $10 sitting in a locked safe a great way to bankrupt your country, sooner or later.

That's a very good question. They don't question it because they are indocrinated from school to believe the hype about the US being the greatest, most powerful nation ever. Most people have never travelled outside their own state, never mind abroad. Therefore you can sum it up as blinkered and delusional I suppose, but I still feel that because of the abundance of natural resources that still exist, they will be the first out of the box to recovery. Housing "recovery' is yesterdays news-they don't really care anymore.

In that case taking $10 from someone who is rich and giving it to someone who is poor to buy a meal is far more of a stimulus for the economy than that $10 sitting in a locked safe.

Yep, and most of the people who need food stamps would be more than glad to put in a 40 hour work week for an honest wage.. but there is no jobs around. Especially people with below average IQ. And each year the bar is getting a little higher. Well during the downturn the bar jumped up, but even in normal years that bar is getting higher.

Someone with 85 IQ or less, which is something like 15% of the population.. just gets in the way in the modern economic system.