House Price Crash Forum

Edward Mellor Auction Results

HOLA441

Has it occurred to you there might be a reason why they are cheap? They might be in an area where the security compares favorably only to Mogadishu, or in a terrible state of repair. It is pretty certain that there are very few if any places in the UK where a sub-100k house would be in any way suitable for bringing up a family. In fact, those places are clearly too cheap even for benefit claimants to live in. Do you really think those areas were untouched by the bubble or have had a crash early?

I'm sorry but that's an exaggeration there are plenty of places with OK houses for under 100K

HOLA442
HOLA443

I'm sorry but that's an exaggeration there are plenty of places with OK houses for under 100K

Let's have some examples please. I did say a house where it would be possible to bring up a family, so it needs to be at least a 3-bed in a low-crime area and within commuting (if not walking) distance of a school. It will need parking and be in a decent state of repair. You might argue that two bedrooms would work, but then benefit claimants can afford three if they have one child of each sex in the right age range.

A lot of people on here would be tempted to buy somewhere decent for under 100K with just their deposit, but for some reason they don't. I would love to be proved wrong, but I suspect that our definitions of sensible differ a bit.

Edited by MongerOfDoom