House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Death Of The Highstreet

Today I required some things pretty quickly, and realised I required them before the end of the week. So I went out to the highstreet that is Manchester city centre. Sure I'll pay a premium but that is what happens when you require something NOW and not in 5-6 days mail order.

I got there and firstly it looked like something out of fallout 3...

Secondly of the 6 things I required (4 of which were physical things two were services) 4 of them I was told, "Sorry we don't have it in stock, I can order it for you."

Here was me thinking erm.... if you can order it for me why don't I order it for myself? These items were hardly obscure hard to find items.... it happened again and again...... then the services. I can book you in for next week, the person at the CS desk said....

At which I thought I might as well have gone and asked a webservice in India to do it for me instead.

Seems to me the UK highstreet is more than obsolete if they keep nothing in stock, and require you to wait weeks and weeks for appointments to what should be walk in places then what is the point?

Your experiences?

The upselling annoys me.

I stupidly bought an IPAD and a PC from PC World a few weeks back.

Before they even asked which specific models I wanted they were piling on the pressure over extended warranties, cases, accessories. It was bizaare.

It's almost more pleasurable to shop online these days, and that is before access to reviews, price comparison etc.

The upselling annoys me.

I stupidly bought an IPAD and a PC from PC World a few weeks back.

Before they even asked which specific models I wanted they were piling on the pressure over extended warranties, cases, accessories. It was bizaare.

It's almost more pleasurable to shop online these days, and that is before access to reviews, price comparison etc.

I had a real problem with a Curry's till assistant who wouldn't sell me a vacuum cleaner without me supplying a postcode. Normally I just give a fake one but I fancied seeing what would happen. After a good five minutes of 'you have to give it to me'; 'no I don't' I asked for the manager, and eventually got them to enter their own postcode. I think if it wasn't for the queue building up behind me I'd probably have been shown the door! :blink:

I've seen the same on the high street, they seem to be operating with wafer thin inventories.

Recently went into a local DIY store who have a catalogue bolted to a stand outside the shop. When I enquired about an item in the catalogue I was told it would take a few days to arrive and the price would be 20% over what I could buy it for on-line. Needless to say I stepped away and ordered it on-line, which seems to be the way most of my high street purchases are ending these days. They either don't have the item, it's too expensive or it's been sitting out on display.

Not playing? :(

Ok, you say that the high street is dying but I'll tell you a little story. The family daiking (we're into air conditioners, in a big way) were out for a long, full day of doing stuff. We got off the tram at Picadilly, I noticed the pushchair had a flat tyre :( Oh dear, we're a long way from home and need to be in Bury soon, what to do? Where's the nearest bike shop to Picadilly? No idea. What next?

Believe it or not we were saved by one (well two) of the pound shops in the Arndale centre. I went in the first and bought a bike pump and a puncture repair kit for 2 quid. Only to find that the pump was not the right one for the tyre valve so I had to go to another pound shop and buy a different pump for a quid. I then proceeded to fix the puncture "on the go" in time for what we had planned. All fixed, there and then for 3 quid and still fixed 2 weeks later.

What would i have done 10-15 years ago? (And don't say go to Harry Halls behind Picadilly). How much would it have cost for a pump and a repair kit? If I had to ask a cycle shop to fix it immediately, how much would that have cost and how long would it have taken? Would we have been in time for our 3 o'clock appointment in Bury? Should I have stuck to some principles and foregone Chinese tat so I could could patronise my local bike shop when I got home? Left the wife without the pushchair for a few days to get it done? Cancelled the whole day's activities on the basis the pushchair was broken? Carried the thing round on my back all day like a Himalayan sherpa and make my 2 y.o. walk for 8 hours?

Off topic but "big it up" (I think that's the vernacular) for the East Lancs Railway in Bury, help support your local heritage organisations.

I had a real problem with a Curry's till assistant who wouldn't sell me a vacuum cleaner without me supplying a postcode. Normally I just give a fake one but I fancied seeing what would happen. After a good five minutes of 'you have to give it to me'; 'no I don't' I asked for the manager, and eventually got them to enter their own postcode. I think if it wasn't for the queue building up behind me I'd probably have been shown the door! :blink:

Ha, I had this at PC World, buying a monitor

"your post code please sir"

"no sorry, I'm not giving you that"

"but we need it sir"

"no you don't"

"we do, or we cannot honour the guaruntee"

"yes you can"

"no we can't. if you do not give it to me, you cannot return it to us if it's broken"

"yes I can, nothing you say will affect my statutory rights to be able to bring this back this afternoon if it doesn't work, or return it to the manufacturer if it breaks within warranty"

"that's 129.99 please sir"

I was just about to leave the shop if he asked one more time :rolleyes:

I have to say, I just never go to the high street anymore, this monitor was a real one off.

The one thing that improved was couriers offering evening, weekend and next day deliveries because the bigget issue with web orders was being around for the deliveries.

Now there is literally no point to retail shopping unless you just want to see it in person before buying. Even grocery shopping, which has a bad name, is infinitely easier to me, and the odd substitution and the delivery charge far outweigh the costs and aggravation of going in person.

With online groceries, you can constantly change your shopping so it fits into your target weekly spend. How could you easily do this in the supermarket?

For everything but clothes, food, and the odd sub-£5 manufactured thing which would be uneconomic to post, internet beats high street every time.

The one thing that improved was couriers offering evening, weekend and next day deliveries because the bigget issue with web orders was being around for the deliveries.

Hah, funny I'm doing less and less online, for exactly the opposite reason.

Ordered something a month ago, turn around should be 3-4 days, still don’t have it. Company telling me it's been delivered, I have it and they're not going to follow it up. Can't tell me where it was delivered, just that "someone" has signed for it.

Biggest problem I've had recently is companies moving from decent couriers to tiny outfits and walking away when the courier fails to deliver.

Can't stand waiting for something to turn up, even in the unlikely event of it being able to be delivered at a suitable time for me, or actually fitting through the letterbox. I only buy stuff online if it's easier to get hold of that way or significantly cheaper. I can't imagine myself ever buying basics online (e.g. groceries), or clothes (only buy them when my old ones wear out, which often means I can't afford to wait!)

I wont do the high street for anything anymore. Whatever I buy I know full well that I am overpaying. I look at the cost of an item then the cost of the staff then the cost of the shop - then I look at how much cheaper it is online and buy it from my lounge.

The best bit? I also save on extortionate car parking.

I was down the high street this morning. It was mobbed. But i went into some shops and they were empty (except the card factory). Maybe people just like wandering around the streets to soak up the Xmas atmosphere.

Hah, funny I'm doing less and less online, for exactly the opposite reason.

Ordered something a month ago, turn around should be 3-4 days, still don’t have it. Company telling me it's been delivered, I have it and they're not going to follow it up. Can't tell me where it was delivered, just that "someone" has signed for it.

Biggest problem I've had recently is companies moving from decent couriers to tiny outfits and walking away when the courier fails to deliver.

If you pay for the expensive next day or evening deliveries you get a far better service as they have to meet delivery windows that the customer has paid a lot of money for

I still think the costs outweight the petrol+parking+aggravation of the alternative

If you pay for the expensive next day or evening deliveries you get a far better service as they have to meet delivery windows that the customer has paid a lot of money for

I still think the costs outweight the petrol+parking+aggravation of the alternative

Sure,

the problem I'm seeing is companies are still charging for premium delivery, but providing poor services and using it as mechanism for profit. One has in fact told me that in order to keep the price of the product down they have moved to a cheaper courier. It's all cost focused and not service.

Slightly related, bought car insurance on-line some time ago, couple of months.

Caller; 'I'm from your car insurance company and need to ask you some questions. To verify who you are, what is the date and month of your birth?.'

Me; 'But I can't verify who you are, you are just someone who has called me randomly, write to me and I will verify any information you need....'

Caller; 'OK'

Went through that yesterday with my banks fraud department... useless the lot of em.

A major problem for me, in using the web to order stuff (ie. bigger than a DVD or a CD), is that if its not delivered by the RM (a local depot is five minutes from me), or DHL, I can't justify travelling a two hour round trip in order to pick up an order that cost me fifty quid (or whatever) from an obscure courier. It's not an issue if you live in a big conurbation such as Bristol or Bournemouth, as these couriers usually have depots there... if you if live even slightly in the sticks, your stuffed. I order a couple of low value items from ebuyer a while ago, but as the round trip was going to be unjustified, I just got my money back through ebuyer...

A major problem for me, in using the web to order stuff (ie. bigger than a DVD or a CD), is that if its not delivered by the RM (a local depot is five minutes from me), or DHL, I can't justify travelling a two hour round trip in order to pick up an order that cost me fifty quid (or whatever) from an obscure courier. It's not an issue if you live in a big conurbation such as Bristol or Bournemouth, as these couriers usually have depots there... if you if live even slightly in the sticks, your stuffed. I order a couple of low value items from ebuyer a while ago, but as the round trip was going to be unjustified, I just got my money back through ebuyer...

Imagine a time when housewives could choose to stay at home rather than working, someone could be at home all day. If not, imagine a time when you knew and could trust your neighbours...

Shame that internet shopping wasn't around 20+ years ago. Its amazing how things are becoming more and less convenient at the same time. You can buy anything you want from anywhere in the world so easily but can't be at home to receive it :lol: Been watching the BBC programme about the changing high street. Funny to see shopping go from a personal service including delivery to an impersonal DIY activity and now we're going back to ordering on the interweb and getting it delivered. But without that personal, ahem, touch. People bemoaning the supermarkets but still using them :confused:

My wife and I try to use the high street (several in fact) as much as we can and if the rest of you don't, we'll lose it forever :(

Imagine a time when housewives could choose to stay at home rather than working, someone could be at home all day. If not, imagine a time when you knew and could trust your neighbours...

Shame that internet shopping wasn't around 20+ years ago. Its amazing how things are becoming more and less convenient at the same time. You can buy anything you want from anywhere in the world so easily but can't be at home to receive it :lol: Been watching the BBC programme about the changing high street. Funny to see shopping go from a personal service including delivery to an impersonal DIY activity and now we're going back to ordering on the interweb and getting it delivered. But without that personal, ahem, touch. People bemoaning the supermarkets but still using them :confused:

My wife and I try to use the high street (several in fact) as much as we can and if the rest of you don't, we'll lose it forever :(

With deliveries, if the driver gets a next-door neighbour to sign for it, I believe that the driver / courier is liable if you don't receive the item...It's a sad case of affairs that nobody trusts each other these days, but what can you do?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/daveharvey/

The high st will ultimately just provide services in the future...places like Frome are one offs...

Funnily enough, I combine the two. I find that most of the high street names will price match net prices (not fleabay prices tho!) if you ask them nicely.....

Take this with you when you go shopping to PC World, Currys, Dixons ...

HP2 7TG

That's the only postcode you need to give them.

:)

And I thought "Chalfont-St-Giles", was a bad disease of the ****! :P

****** me I can't say A-R-S-E here! :o

For everything but clothes, food, and the odd sub-£5 manufactured thing which would be uneconomic to post, internet beats high street every time.

Why not clothes? I get many of my clothes off eBay. If something really doesn't suit I just sell it back on eBay. Clothes cost virtually nothing on eBay.

Well i buy stuff online that you can't find in the shops here but i don't like it how the couriers just leave the item on your doorstep if you are not in (EG you are at work) , someone who is just walking past could easily steal that parcel sitting on your doorstep.It is crazy.So alot of times just to avoid that hassle i buy in a regular store.