House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GloomMonger

Sas Deployed To Shopping Malls

Saw this story earlier this week http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20024819-503543.html

Elite British paratroopers have reportedly been deployed to the busy commercial streets and shopping centers of the United Kingdom to protect holiday shoppers from terrorist attacks.

The Sun, Britain's most widely-read newspaper, is a tabloid but is generally considered to have very reliable national security sources. Their Tuesday front-page article, which quotes unnamed officials, says troops from the SAS regiment (Special Air Services) have been deployed alongside police in London, Birmingham and other big cities.

According to The Sun, the SAS troops will be carrying semi-automatic assault rifles, pistols and stun grenades. The paper did not say how many members of the elite military regiment would be scattered about Britain's shopping centers.

The intention, according to the newspaper, is for the special forces to be on-hand in the event of a wide-scale attack by terrorists using bombs and or guns -- such as the rampage by a group of gunmen in the Indian city of Mumbai which left more than 100 people dead.

Britain has not raised its terror alert level as the holiday season ramps up, but groups like al Qaeda have previously tried to launch attacks around Christmas, and large crowds of shoppers around the U.K. undoubtedly make an attractive target to terror organizations.

And then today, I read this story http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Birmingham-Gunshot-Sensors-Installed-In-North-West-Of-City-For-First-Time-In-UK/Article/201012215850468?lpos=UK_News_Second_UK_News_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15850468_Birmingham%3A_Gunshot_Sensors_Installed_In_North_West_Of_City_For_First_Time_In_UK

Sensors which can detect gunshots being fired have been installed in areas of Birmingham.

Gun crime has becoming a growing problem in the city

It is the first time the Shotspotter Gunshot Location System has been installed in the UK.

It has been used across 50 US cities since 1995 and can pick up gunshots within a 25 metre (82ft) radius.

West Midlands Police say the sensors had been placed on high buildings mainly in northwestern areas of the city.

Project Safe And Sound records an audio clip and sends police a GPS location.

A specially trained police officer listens to the clip to decide whether a firearms team should be deployed.

A spokesman for West Midlands Police said: "The technology is designed to detect the sound of gunshot fire and will enable police to despatch officers to the scene in a timely and effective manner.

"The technology is not surveillance equipment and does not monitor or record actions or movements of individuals within the community.

"The overall aim of the project is to reduce gun crime and potentially save lives."

CCTV cameras had to be scrapped after local residents were not consulted

The system can detect whether multiple shots were fired and whether they were fired on the move.

The manufacturers claim an 85% accuracy rate.

Residents have been consulted about the scheme which will include the Aston and Handsworth areas of the city where gun crime has been a problem in the past.

Last month the force agreed to scrap surveillance cameras installed in parts of the city with large Muslim populations after they failed to consult local people.

Police are not revealing exactly where the sensors have been placed or what they look like.

They maintain that there is no surveillance issue because the sensors record decibels and not individual voices.

Are these stories related?

Suggests the intelligence services have heard about an attack being planned.

Are these stories related?

Suggests the intelligence services have heard about an attack being planned.

Probably not related.

NW Birmingham generally means Handsworth and surrounding areas. Lots of gun crime that would normally go under the general term black-on-black. Always has been like this. Gun crime in Birmingham is falling but there are still several hundred incidents a year.

From the sound of this "shotspotter" thing it would be pretty easy for a terrorist to useit to their advantage. It's probably ok for detecting a random drug shooting but if you were a terrorist then surely you'd just carry out some random shootings around the same time in order to distract most of the armed cops and then go perpetrate a massacre in a shopping centre whilst they were elsewhere?

From the sound of this "shotspotter" thing it would be pretty easy for a terrorist to useit to their advantage. It's probably ok for detecting a random drug shooting but if you were a terrorist then surely you'd just carry out some random shootings around the same time in order to distract most of the armed cops and then go perpetrate a massacre in a shopping centre whilst they were elsewhere?

I seem to recall that was the exact plot of an episode of some US cop drama or other. (Criminal Minds, maybe?)

Is this to force people to buy expensive items to get GDP figures up.

Madam it would appear that you've not shopped enough to save the country from financial ruin, if you don't buy more I shall be forced to whip out my weapon.

It's the fear of random violence that scares everyone and the UK has a particular fear of guns so combining the two makes sense.

As well as being a cheap and easy method it's media friendly to spread the attacks out as much as possible, not so much the media

lose interest just enough to keep them well fed and rolling.

I remember many years ago driving through Derry in a Transit van which decided to backfire alongside an Army foot patrol. Those guys moved!

I had a mate from NI and he was amongst a bunch of us walking down the pub before footy match. Car backfired and he dropped to the ground like a stone.

We all thought he was ill as we lifted him off the rain soaked pavement but it was ingrained in him as a reaction to that sound - not funny really when you have to live out daily life under stress like that.

What a bunch of ******ing twats

+ 1,000,000!!!

I'm not sure whether that was real or staged or staged in part. There didn't actually seem to be guns in evidence (clearly they were blank fireres if there were) or whether the sounds were dubbed on afterwards.

Utter, utter fvcking loosers though. You can tell how thick these people are as they haven't blurred out their number plates.

+ 1,000,000!!!

I'm not sure whether that was real or staged or staged in part. There didn't actually seem to be guns in evidence (clearly they were blank fireres if there were) or whether the sounds were dubbed on afterwards.

Utter, utter fvcking loosers though. You can tell how thick these people are as they haven't blurred out their number plates.

I dont think there were any blanks involved, were they not causing the bikes to backfire?

I didnt spot the number plates but when the idiot almost creams into a parked car I did think that if the police could tell who it was then he would be getting done.

I remember many years ago driving through Derry in a Transit van which decided to backfire alongside an Army foot patrol. Those guys moved!

Oh yes! Took me weeks to get over the NI tour, but the vast majority of bangs we faced were fireworks thrown by kids. Didn't half make your ears ring, but thank the Lord they didn't have the IED tech available nowadays!

Can't believe the SAS are being deployed on the streets, I would imagine they already have their hands full....

Unless it's the SASĀ®!

As to the bikers, c0cks of the first order. I'd love to see the footage when some of the local yoot catch up to them at the next set of traffic lights!

+ 1,000,000!!!

Where the Hell were the police, anyway ?

I occasionally travelled down from Leeds on the same Kings Cross train, the 7/7 bombers were on.

I was on it, on the 1st July, seven days before they went down, and a few weeks afterward.

After 7/7 you would see large blokes in civvies, mil spec boots, stood by themselves in-between the carriages outside the toilets.

Attempting to appear inconspicuous.

My guess at the time was that they were Military. Dont know which Reg though.

De direct and ask them. I was in a pub last thursday that I had never been into before and I spotted the ex-para a mile away.

I agree.

I know an ex bootneck when i see one. And Ex paras. There's a distinct difference between different guys from different regiments.

You wouldnt mistake one for the other.

This guy had a whiff of an older fatter ex para about him. 40 ish.

Maybe SO19?

[From his professional demeanour he obviously didnt want to be identified or 'chatted' to.]

* Of course there is the possibility I was completely wrong. But I dont think so.

[i think you will be able to spot them in shopping centre's as well. If you ever went round Hereford on the piss, all the gals would be able to point them out no problem.]

Nonsense. You just have a nack of recognising the OBVIOUS ex Para or whatever. Every regiment has very different looking and acting people in it.

People who think they can 'spot them' sre kidding themselves IMO. They can spot the obvious ones - but who can't !!

I have met Para's who look like bona fide accountants. You would NEVER spot them wandering around a supermarket unless you were told. I have met SAS bods who look like they run a stable in Hampshire. You would NEVER spot them unless you were told.

Anyway :)

I had a mate from NI and he was amongst a bunch of us walking down the pub before footy match. Car backfired and he dropped to the ground like a stone.

We all thought he was ill as we lifted him off the rain soaked pavement but it was ingrained in him as a reaction to that sound - not funny really when you have to live out daily life under stress like that.

my dad was in the marines and spent most of his time in ireland between '69 and the mid seventies. My mum told me about when they were in a que in the bank, a car misfired outside and my dad hit the deck like. He still hates balloons and fireworks or anything that makes loud bangs.

Nonsense. You just have a nack of recognising the OBVIOUS ex Para or whatever. Every regiment has very different looking and acting people in it.

People who think they can 'spot them' sre kidding themselves IMO. They can spot the obvious ones - but who can't !!

I have met Para's who look like bona fide accountants. You would NEVER spot them wandering around a supermarket unless you were told. I have met SAS bods who look like they run a stable in Hampshire. You would NEVER spot them unless you were told.

Anyway :)

True enough. If you spot anyone obvious wondering around a shopping center then he is just as likely to be a squaddie doing his christmas shopping.

As for dan spotting guys at trainstations wearing military boots, I highly doubt they were sas. The sas are not that stoopid as to wear plain clothes and their boots, must have been coppers :lol:

I dont think we are about to see sas on the streets. Reading between the lines with what they are to be armed with as a rapid response then they couldnt carry that in plain clothes without causing panic. And I do not ever expect to see them put out on patrols in uniform. So, more likely they will be detachments sent to various areas who will be in a local barracks/police station/whatever on the end of a radio.

De direct and ask them. I was in a pub last thursday that I had never been into before and I spotted the ex-para a mile away.

Got chatting to him and extracted a number of things I'm sure he wasnt allowed to talk about from him. Lowering their guard and befriending them can be very revealing. :lol:

You'd be shocked at what info I got out some people working at GCHQ as well! Its too easy just like pulling birds, its almost like computer programming! :lol:

Do you ever pick up sailors?

True enough. If you spot anyone obvious wondering around a shopping center then he is just as likely to be a squaddie doing his christmas shopping.

As for dan spotting guys at trainstations wearing military boots, I highly doubt they were sas. The sas are not that stoopid as to wear plain clothes and their boots, must have been coppers :lol:

I dont think we are about to see sas on the streets. Reading between the lines with what they are to be armed with as a rapid response then they couldnt carry that in plain clothes without causing panic. And I do not ever expect to see them put out on patrols in uniform. So, more likely they will be detachments sent to various areas who will be in a local barracks/police station/whatever on the end of a radio.

I imagine they will be doing what they normally do - waiting to be called up and told where to go and what to do. IMO they would not be wondering around any shopping centres without extremely specific information. And if that information was that specific I dount the shopping centre would be open with punters wandering around anyway !!

I imagine it would be the SIS and usual suspects doing all the sneaky snooping that no doubt goes on.

Training can be hard to undo. If you know what to look for you can even have a good guess at what part of the military they were in. You have to be good at reading body language though. ;)

There is only so much body language can tell you though. You honestly think you can spot someone who was in the military and also have an idea of the part they were in !! :lol:

So tell me - just how exactly do you find out about all the ones you miss. Ah yes - you don't. ;)

Are elite troops any good with a snow shovel? If so, the high streets of Britain welcome them!

Perhaps they can napalm the streets. The snow will be gone in a jiffy. May need so get some touch up paint for your car though.

I'll admit I'm not 100% accurate but everyone I have suspect of being military has turned out to be military so on that basis I think I have been accurate.

It's the boots.

No one outside the forces polishes their boots quite as well.

:)