House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Shop Price Inflation Falls

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8189925/Shop-price-inflation-falls-for-first-time-in-five-months.html

Economics
Shop price inflation falls for first time in five months
Inflation on goods sold in shops fell for the first time in five months in November despite recent commodity price rises.
Overall shop price inflation dropped to 2pc in November from 2.2pc in October. Meanwhile, food inflation eased back to 4pc in October from 4.4pc in September, according to the British Retail Consortium (BRC)-Nielsen Shop Price Index.

There is 2 ways we will get a HPC : deflation and mass unemployment.

Of course, today is Muppet Meeting day and Merv will want to see this kind of hard evidence to keep the HPI subsidies in place. Silly me for not seeing that earleir this morning.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-09/king-may-oversee-uneasy-truce-as-bank-of-england-stays-split-on-growth.html

Bank of England Governor Mervyn King may oversee another stalemate today as faster inflation and conflicting economic signals entrench a three-way split on his Monetary Policy Committee over the need for more stimulus.

Its going so well. House sales at their lowest since records began and prices down again. Plus the loony government getting it all so spot on with the massive growth in exports they say will save us:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20101209/tpl-uk-britain-trade-20b2d2f.html

Even AEP and the other nobs at the DT have shut up about hyperinflation and Zimbabwe style collapse.

RB turns Bull.

40% drop in January people? :D

I wonder how long it actually took them to find the few goods that would create the desired fall in inflation.

If deflation is the story of the day then inflation is the reality.

This could be for a number of reasons. probably the best ones have been missed in the list below.

Food prices generally drop at harvest time as there is a glut same happens every year (still catches the press out)

Retailers destocking on higher value goods and restocking with lower value.

The pound has rallied against the USD recently.

The high street looks like a constant tacky sale these days.

But don't worry inflation is all about CPI which excludes food and energy so as long as thats low then everything is fine.:lol:

But don't worry inflation is all about CPI which excludes food and energy so as long as thats low then everything is fine.:lol:

and food inflation "eased back to 4%", not food inflation is at 4% but that inflation has some how fallen :lol:

of course, food price inflation can be kept down when manufacturers simply put things in smaller packets/jars/boxes but continue charging the same as ever. It certainly doesnt mean that there is no inflation though.

and food inflation "eased back to 4%", not food inflation is at 4% but that inflation has some how fallen :lol:

of course, food price inflation can be kept down when manufacturers simply put things in smaller packets/jars/boxes but continue charging the same as ever. It certainly doesnt mean that there is no inflation though.

Yep its such a con, but the people don't see it. Yet!

Food prices generally drop at harvest time as there is a glut same happens every year (still catches the press out)

Its a well known fact that mid winter is the key harvest period for food. I saw some combines in the snow just this morning.

ROTFLFAO

The BS gets ever more desperate.......

Frozen peas have doubled. I have not looked at the price of sprouts but the bad weather has almost certainly increased them through lack of supply.

All the frozen veg I buy is exactly same price as 12 months ago.

I'm getting very annoyed that this inflation is passing me by.

Actually, I do see it in retail energy, but for me the underlying increase is down to speculation that will be wiped out sometime next year. Just wondering why the energy backstory isn't feeding through - I guess there's an element of high street retailers not being able to pass on the costs ... for now. T'intertube shopping probably playing a big part in that.

Edited by okaycuckoo