House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
montesquieu

Comedy Hour: Nick Clegg Promising 'no Broken Promises'

Nick Clegg reminds me of old school buddy.

My buddy really criticised people in our peer group who chose to spend time with their girlfriends rather than under-age drinking and hanging round on the streets with "the lads". However, first sniff he got and he was off with his new found lady, didn't see him for 6 months until they'd split up!

Clegg is in love with power. He thought he could handle it, but he can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTLR8R9JXz4

:lol:

A wee reminder of St Nick of Platitude on the eve of tuition fees voting ....

Hasn't it become a bit too obvious what the Tories are up to? Only the LibDem MP's don't seem to have noticed.

The policies coming out are basically unaltered Tory stuff. The so called LibDem influence is nothing more than window dressing.

But when we watch the news the vast majority of government spokesmen we see are LibDems. They are taking nearly all the flak.

How has this come about? It's firstly down to the fact that with the LibDem's first taste of power comes a desire to make the most of it while it lasts. Secondly, they just can't say no to an invite to go on the telly. After all, a short while back nobody wanted to know what they had to say! But thirdly and most importantly, the Tories are pushing them forward on purpose, using them as a shield to fend of at least some of the bad publicity.

The LibDems will need to think about this if they don't want to fall even further from grace. I see that the latest YouGov survey has them on 8%.

Hasn't it become a bit too obvious what the Tories are up to? Only the LibDem MP's don't seem to have noticed.

The policies coming out are basically unaltered Tory stuff. The so called LibDem influence is nothing more than window dressing.

But when we watch the news the vast majority of government spokesmen we see are LibDems. They are taking nearly all the flak.

How has this come about? It's firstly down to the fact that with the LibDem's first taste of power comes a desire to make the most of it while it lasts. Secondly, they just can't say no to an invite to go on the telly. After all, a short while back nobody wanted to know what they had to say! But thirdly and most importantly, the Tories are pushing them forward on purpose, using them as a shield to fend of at least some of the bad publicity.

The LibDems will need to think about this if they don't want to fall even further from grace. I see that the latest YouGov survey has them on 8%.

So what's your big plan?

So what's your big plan?

It's the LibDems who need a big plan. <_<

My little plan is to never vote LibDem again and try to convince as many previously LibDem voters as possible to follow suit.

It's the LibDems who need a big plan. <_<

My little plan is to never vote LibDem again and try to convince as many previously LibDem voters as possible to follow suit.

Are you saying I should vote tory then?

To be fair to the little yellow devils, they didn't actually win the election.

They came fourth:

'no-one' (35%),

Conservatives (23%)

Labour (19%)

LibDem (15%)

You would need a 3-way coalition just to represent a majority of qualified voters, but they would not have a majority of the population. This is democracy, apparently.

Perhaps we should just choose people randomly to make up the difference when people abstain..

They came fourth:

'no-one' (35%),

Conservatives (23%)

Labour (19%)

LibDem (15%)

You would need a 3-way coalition just to represent a majority of qualified voters, but they would not have a majority of the population. This is democracy, apparently.

Perhaps we should just choose people randomly to make up the difference when people abstain..

I think the idea is that you ignore the 35% majority, on the basis that they are too lazy/stupid or disenfranchised to vote.

Either way, they can hardly be blamed for not implementing all their policies. Their only alternative was to force another election almost immediately.

I think the idea is that you ignore the 35% majority, on the basis that they are too lazy/stupid or disenfranchised to vote.

Either way, they can hardly be blamed for not implementing all their policies. Their only alternative was to force another election almost immediately.

They can certainly be blamed by the young people who voted for them because they thought the Lib Dems might stick up for the young. I won't be thankful if they screw over the students but stick to their pledge of a triple-guaranteed state pension, it will just be yet more money taken from the young and given to the old. That is the opposite of what this country needs.

Edited by Dorkins

They can certainly be blamed by the young people who voted for them because they thought the Lib Dems might stick up for the young. I won't be thankful if they screw over the students but stick to their pledge of a triple-guaranteed state pension, it will just be yet more money taken from the young and given to the old. That is the opposite of what this country needs.

So who should the young people vote for next time?

Of course, much better to fund everyone going to uni and dossing for an extra few years - would obviously be money well spent...Seriously though, I really don't understand what people expect the Lib Dems to do here. It's likely to get passed irrespective of their votes, therefore, what possible good is going to come out of them voting against?

So who should the young people vote for next time?

Excellent bl00dy question. I think there is a big problem in that the current crop of politicians, like the majority of voters, were born before 1970. Most of them have done very well out of the Ponzi scheme the UK has become over the last 30 years: they got all of the promised riches and none of the bills.

I worked out once that the median voter is currently aged about 46/47. It would be foolish for politicians to try to appeal to under-35s with policies that are perceived to hurt older people (e.g. calling for lower house prices). They would lose more votes than they would gain.

In terms of who to vote for, there is little young people can do. There are too many people on the other side of the Ponzi. All we can do for now is stay informed and talk to people about the things that matter to us. Protests and campaigns are good too.

But time is on our side. Every year the median voter gets closer and closer to being one of us. In 2020 the median voter will have been born in 1975 (just about). The national debt is becoming more and more unpayable, and the longer house prices remain beyond our reach, the more unsold inventory will accumulate.

I voted Lib Dem at the last election as I believed they cared about young people. I can see now that they don't, and nor do Labour or the Conservatives. I will not be voting at the next election, instead I will write to the candidates and tell them why. I think this would be a lot more constructive than voting for another person who wants me to pay the national debt for their generation's mistakes and simultaneously buy a massively overpriced house.

Of course, much better to fund everyone going to uni and dossing for an extra few years - would obviously be money well spent...Seriously though, I really don't understand what people expect the Lib Dems to do here. It's likely to get passed irrespective of their votes, therefore, what possible good is going to come out of them voting against?

We can't afford to send so many students to university. The government should offer to subsidise the top 15% of students. If others want to go too, they should have to pay whatever the university asks for.

I voted Lib Dem at the last election as I believed they cared about young people. I can see now that they don't, and nor do Labour or the Conservatives. I will not be voting at the next election, instead I will write to the candidates and tell them why. I think this would be a lot more constructive than voting for another person who wants me to pay the national debt for their generation's mistakes and simultaneously buy a massively overpriced house.

It's probably best to do that a while before the election if you want it to make any difference. Parliamentary candidates are pretty busy before an election and can't lobby on policy change once the manifesto is decided on.

I'd also recommend voting for the change to AV. It changes the way tactical voting working by removing the risk of voting for a minor party, as you vote both positively and negatively. In the current system you only vote positively, which means if you want to vote against someone, you need to work out who is the most likely to win. Another interesting thing that comes out of it is the possibility of a party fielding two candiates without splitting their vote.

I think these two reasons are why most non LibDem MPs are against it. It reduces their job security as it allows the separation of party and [odious] personality.

i love nick clegg. he is the best example of how our political system is corrupted beyond belief. i didnt even waste my own shoe leather voting this time and until i see radical change. ill leave it for what it is. a show. a useless show with nothing worthwhile or genuine beneath it.

our politicians are corrupt as hell. and so is the controlled media.

the whole country is corruopted by greed. banking speculation and general madness.

something has to give.

Well if you're Welsh or Scottish, you can utilise English taxpayers money in your quest for somekind of half ******ed media studies degree

Never before have English people been the target of such blatant racist tax measures.

Bring on the break up of the UK.

i love nick clegg. he is the best example of how our political system is corrupted beyond belief. i didnt even waste my own shoe leather voting this time and until i see radical change. ill leave it for what it is. a show. a useless show with nothing worthwhile or genuine beneath it.

our politicians are corrupt as hell. and so is the controlled media.

the whole country is corruopted by greed. banking speculation and general madness.

something has to give.

+1

It's quite something, watching the two older generations steadily vote their country into bankruptcy and/or hyperinflation. I hope they like what they're going to get.

+1

It's quite something, watching the two older generations steadily vote their country into bankruptcy and/or hyperinflation. I hope they like what they're going to get.

my most recent personal policy to help me cope is to 'leave the stupid fµckwits to it'

work and pay tax ? play the straight bat ? big society ? hahahaha. fµck you is my answer to that.

Edited by right_freds_dead

Seriously though, I really don't understand what people expect the Lib Dems to do here. It's likely to get passed irrespective of their votes, therefore, what possible good is going to come out of them voting against?

If I had voted for a Lib Dem MP, I would expect him to vote for the policies and ideas he/she campaigned on, and vote against those he/she campaigned against.

What good comes of this? Retaining your credibility?