House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
athom

Tabloids Direct Government Cuts

Clarke forced to backtrack on sentencing

Ken Clarke has been forced by Downing Street into an immediate retreat over plans to give judges more discretion when sentencing murderers after the suggestion sparked outrage in tabloid newspapers.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5115c32e-0309-11e0-bb1e-00144feabdc0.html

WHEN WILL OUR GOVERNMENT REALISE THE TABLOID NEWSPAPERS HAVE NO MANDATE TO SPEAK FOR THE BRITISH PUBLIC (yes i'm shouting, no i don't expect them to hear me)

This is getting *ridiculous*. Has anything actually been changed since Labour?

Is anyone keeping a list of the major U-Turns, climbdowns & back-tracks?

It must be 20+ in 6 months.

...we need 'the lady is not for turning' spirit back..... :rolleyes:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5115c32e-0309-11e0-bb1e-00144feabdc0.html

WHEN WILL OUR GOVERNMENT REALISE THE TABLOID NEWSPAPERS HAVE NO MANDATE TO SPEAK FOR THE BRITISH PUBLIC (yes i'm shouting, no i don't expect them to hear me)

It is interesting which parts of our "democracy" are driven by "the voice of the people" and which are not.

It is interesting which parts of our "democracy" are driven by "the voice of the people" and which are not.

Quite.

Mass street protests by up to a million people (iraq war) - "mustn't give in to the trouble makers / democracy isn't about who shouts loudest"

tabloid "outrage" based on a handful of editors opinions - "ohhh, ok we won't do that then! :unsure:"

Surprised that this situation isn't recognised for how serious it is, our supposed democracy has it's head pushed down the toilet with Murdoch et al pulling the chain

Quite.

Mass street protests by up to a million people (iraq war) - "mustn't give in to the trouble makers / democracy isn't about who shouts loudest"

tabloid "outrage" based on a handful of editors opinions - "ohhh, ok we won't do that then! :unsure:"

Surprised that this situation isn't recognised for how serious it is, our supposed democracy has it's head pushed down the toilet with Murdoch et al pulling the chain

His father, Keith Murdoch, would be turning in his grave.

Keith Murdoch and Gallipoli

Well I agree with the sentiment.

I do think though that we dont have enough prison capacity. This means that a lot of criminals are not being locked up, and are therefore not being deterred from committing crimes, and the public are not being protected from them. I would be spending more money on prisons, no doubt about it. I think I would like to build a particularly tough and unwelcoming one for fraudsters, where bankers and MP's could communicate with each other by banging their metal potties on the bars.

Cuts need to be made, but elsewhere.

Public sector pay and pensions need to be cut. SMI Axed. The pensionable age raised now. Health service cut, state and civil service pensions cut, HB cut.

Not prisons though, the state must have prison as a punishment, a protection for its good citizens, and a deterrent.

Well I agree with the sentiment.

I do think though that we dont have enough prison capacity. This means that a lot of criminals are not being locked up, and are therefore not being deterred from committing crimes, and the public are not being protected from them. I would be spending more money on prisons, no doubt about it. I think I would like to build a particularly tough and unwelcoming one for fraudsters, where bankers and MP's could communicate with each other by banging their metal potties on the bars.

Cuts need to be made, but elsewhere.

Public sector pay and pensions need to be cut. SMI Axed. The pensionable age raised now. Health service cut, state and civil service pensions cut, HB cut.

Not prisons though, the state must have prison as a punishment, a protection for its good citizens, and a deterrent.

we're also keeping a lot of criminals locked up that should be returned to their own countries.

we're also keeping a lot of criminals locked up that should be returned to their own countries.

Yes, I understand that this is a bit of a growth area. Dont foreign criminals make up about 1/3 of the prison population?

As a principle it is right if they have broken the law here, for them to be punished. Shame we dont exit the EU and regain the right to deport all foreign criminals permanently.

I think I heard something about Student tuition fees. And hasn't there been some stuff done on the MoD?

I think if you're getting that impression then their media management is going rather well.