House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Snow And Ice 'should Be Cleared With The Public's Help'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11946901

The public should clear icy side roads and pavements not treated by councils, the transport secretary has suggested.

After another freezing night prompted Met Office warnings of icy roads across much of Britain, Philip Hammond said people should help neighbours.

The Army may clear Edinburgh's streets as Scotland remains gripped by sub-zero conditions. Many cars remain stranded.

Overnight temperatures in Strathallan, Perthshire, and Shap, Cumbria, hit -18C (0F). Some 1,000 UK schools are shut.

It was another cold night in all parts of the UK, with lows of -12C (10.4F) in Castlederg, Tyrone, and -9C (15.8F) in Trawsgoed, Ceredigion.

Severe weather warnings for heavy snow remain in place for the far north of Scotland, with icy road alerts affecting all Scottish regions, Northern Ireland, the East Midlands, Yorkshire and the Humber.

BBC weather forecaster Nick Miller said temperatures would again struggle to get above freezing in many places.

A good idea to bring back a bit of community spirit and my actually get neighbours to talk etc.. I know there will probably some legal problem with health and safety over not gritting the area afterwards or some other red tape to stop this from happening.

If everyone cleared what was in front of their house and helped clear the road everyone would be able to get to work.

I'd guess with everyone working together it would only take about an 1hr to clear a local road.

Clearly won't happen as people would rather stay indoors and get someone else to do it. Couldn't we hire in some Poles to do it for us?

Philip Hammond's more than welcome to pop round and clear my drive.

I'll even lend him my shovel.

A good idea to bring back a bit of community spirit and my actually get neighbours to talk etc..

If the council hadn't taken away all of the grit bins this would have been a good idea.

If the council hadn't taken away all of the grit bins this would have been a good idea.

Where I grew up, Used to be one at the corner of every street when i was younger. None now.

Be happy to help. As soon as you stop paying top council executives hundreds of thousands of pounds for a job a trained monkey could do, and cancel my council tax.

No? Didnt think so.

F@:@ off then.

No problem wheelbarrows and a local community trip down to the nearest grit depot about 6 miles away.

Don't forget your flask.

Wasn't there someone on this site who was warned by their council not to clear the pavement in front of their house last winter, as they could be liable if someone slipped over?

Wasn't there someone on this site who was warned by their council not to clear the pavement in front of their house last winter, as they could be liable if someone slipped over?

Speaking as a member of a local resident's association: we tried to get a clear answer from the council last winter on this question. We're still waiting :(

IMPO there's some major-league jobsworth, covering-my-own-**** going on.

Again IMPO, no one's been sued for clearing the pavement in front of their house. Except of course for obvious idiots like those who clear the snow with a bucket of hot water (said water immediately freezes and makes a beautifully smooth ice rink. Idiots).

I believe there was. In fact, not only that, there were a number of newspaper stories about it. The reasoning went something like: if you grit an area, then you are taking responsibility for the safety of that area. If someone subsequently slips because it is not, in fact, fully and correctly gritted, then you as the responsible party are potentially liable - as you may have misled that person into thinking that the area was safe.

This is the way it's done over here in Germany. Each resident is responsible for the path outside his/her house. It must be done before 7 on a weekday and 7.30 on a weekend though :(

If someone slips and hurts themselves when you haven't cleared the snow they can sue and if you go on holiday you have to pay someone to come and do it. It's annoying but it works well. There is snow piled up everywhere outside at the moment but I've just been to the shop and all the footpaths are clear.

This is the way it's done over here in Germany. Each resident is responsible for the path outside his/her house. It must be done before 7 on a weekday and 7.30 on a weekend though :(

If someone slips and hurts themselves when you haven't cleared the snow they can sue and if you go on holiday you have to pay someone to come and do it. It's annoying but it works well. There is snow piled up everywhere outside at the moment but I've just been to the shop and all the footpaths are clear.

yep, a royal pain in the backside but it worked. They still stop you hanging out your washing on a sunday along with their other odd rules?

It is law in Germany and has been discussed here. Only a matter of time imo before home owners are obliged to clear their areas here.

I have no problem doing it here, we were all out last heavy snow to dig the road out. What is frustrating is being left on your own. Once we went to all that work it was hard seeing the road buried again because gritters still hadnt been. What it the point in keeping major routes clear when no one can get to them?

Where I grew up, Used to be one at the corner of every street when i was younger. None now.

Be happy to help. As soon as you stop paying top council executives hundreds of thousands of pounds for a job a trained monkey could do, and cancel my council tax.

No? Didnt think so.

F@:@ off then.

Ours were taken out because they were being abused, they were being emptied on to people's drives and garden paths rather than the road.

There is one particularly bad junction near us, and I believe the main culprits there were of the generation who should have stayed inside blowing their winter fuel allowance. :angry:

The little twit-brains burnt them round here. Same with some plastic street bins.

Our street is icy but the neighbouring streets are all Manchester's and have been gritted. Once we get over the sheet of ice we're fine.

There's one round the corner from me that is on a particularly steep bit of side street. Very handy for the people who live there. The problem is, and it has been highlighted in the local news, freshly filled grit bins are being emptied by thieving gits who drive to them, fill big sacks up and take it home. Very community spirited of them. :angry:

Wouldn't be surprised if some TGBs are also then selling it as well.

This YouGov link attempts to clarify the issue of ice clearance. Our council says go ahead and clear it up - people have a duty of care to themselves and it's extremely unlikely someone could sue you. I suppose the no win no fee solicitors will be watching the situation like a hawk though. They'd sue their mothers because they got a birthmark.

Last Thursday, after 2 days of heavy snow our cul de sac had a 'clear the snow party' and just about every house got the shovels out and we cleared the road in about 5 hours. It's still icy but at least we're not bouncing cars or slipping when walking over 6 inches of rutted and compacted snow and ice.

Bring back the grit bins, bring back the grit bins....where are they when you need them? ;)

This YouGov link attempts to clarify the issue of ice clearance. Our council says go ahead and clear it up - people have a duty of care to themselves and it's extremely unlikely someone could sue you.

Great link.. thanks!

There's no law stopping you from clearing snow and ice on the pavement outside your home or from public spaces. It's unlikely you'll be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries on the path if you have cleared it carefully.

Remember, people walking on snow and ice have responsibility to be careful themselves. Follow the advice below to make sure you clear the pathway safely and effectively.

Just the kind of message you want coming out of a government website. A bit of common sense :)

The biggest problem is where to put all the snow once you've cleared it. We have had over 2 feet and I've cleared a large area but I now hAve a huge pile in the gutter near the car.

Everyone nicks in but the simple fact is britain has been built on winging it, which worked up until now.

Poorly insulated housing, poor snow clearing equipment, the lack of back up 4 wheel drive vehicles for essential services.

Poorly insulated housing, poor snow clearing equipment, .....

It's interesting when stuck in a traffic jam looking at the roofs of houses to see one half of a semi with snow on the roof while the other is snow free. I guess one has loft insulation and one doesn't (or one has no heating and a dead pensioner inside it while the other one doesn't :huh:).