House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Would You Walk Around With A £200K Watch On?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336679/Bernie-Ecclestone-uses-black-eye-advertise-200k-Hublot-watch.html

'I can understand people wanting to rob me when they are poor and they want some things for the kids with Christmas coming along, but what they did was unnecessary.'

Using the tag line 'See what people will do for a Hublot,' the advert shows the injury done to Mr Ecclestone during the attack and a large picture of a watch similar to the personalised one, worth £200,000, that was stolen from him.

Seriously wealthy man, however would you walk around with a £200k watch on? Although stealing it poses it's own problems of actually disposing of it. Hardly something you can take down the pub and flog.

Then there's actually paying £200k for a watch in the first place, seems an incredible waste of money. Although as I have little money to those with money it might not seem a waste.

So how many of you would walk around any city with a £200k watch on? Seems an easy target for thieves.

Who says the watch is real?

In that have you ever seen such a watch in the flesh and also would you have the confidence to say oi thats fake that is!

My bosses have always worn fakes, you could tell they were fake rolexes because of the way the second hand moves.

It seems a bit strange to spend that much on a mechanical watch when you can buy a quartz one which will keep better time for £10.

I have always thought the most idiotic vanity purchase is expensive luggage, suitcases etc. They are a beacon which scream "steal from me" to baggage handlers the world over.

http://www.dailymail...blot-watch.html

Seriously wealthy man, however would you walk around with a £200k watch on? Although stealing it poses it's own problems of actually disposing of it. Hardly something you can take down the pub and flog.

Then there's actually paying £200k for a watch in the first place, seems an incredible waste of money. Although as I have little money to those with money it might not seem a waste.

So how many of you would walk around any city with a £200k watch on? Seems an easy target for thieves.

This is an interesting subject. Something I have discussed previously. The main point seems to be do people think 'He was asking for it ?'.

Now this can apply to other situations as well. Noticably girls wandering about showing off half their bodies then being surprised when the local deviant gets all excited and attacks them.

Does this guy deserve it ? Do these girls deserve it ? Is there a difference to each situation ?

Personally I think neither deserve it. However if a poll was done on the subject - I would bet a lot of money a far larger % of people thought this bloke 'was asking for it' more than the girl in question.

When in fact - are the situations not pretty similar ?

Anyway probably going off tangent with the subject - however I have used this exact comparison before when discussing birds wandering around half dressed and what may happen to them. People have more sympathy when a woman gets attacked than a man. When we all know the stats show a male in this country is far far far more likely to be the victim of an unprovoked assault than a female.

Anyway perhaps I need to stop this annoying me so much. Maybe I need to start a male equal rights party and be done with it. I am gonna burn my pants !! :D

It seems a bit strange to spend that much on a mechanical watch when you can buy a quartz one which will keep better time for £10.

I have always thought the most idiotic vanity purchase is expensive luggage, suitcases etc. They are a beacon which scream "steal from me" to baggage handlers the world over.

Salesmen use them as signs, along with other things I presume, in fancy car showrooms to tell if a scruffy looking bloke is in fact just in for a snoop or is minted.

They are a subtle way of informing only those knowledgable about these things that you may have lots of money - but don't advertise the fact.

Then again - as this story shows - some of these knowledgable people are also not very nice :lol:

I have a beautiful gold watch I bought for 20p at a local fayre. :)

It's only rolled gold but it's lovely and nice for when you're going places you have to turn your mobile off. :)

£11k watch.

Yes, I read it was a £11k watch and £200k of jewellery stolen from his companion. Still alot of money for a watch. I would think he was mugged for being a famous, recognisable, small billionnaire and an easy target. A bit like a walking ATM.

Ahhh - but how due you know that wearing a piezo-electric 'quartz chip' on your wrist doesn't affect your blood molecules or immunity systems over 'time'?

I wear a Hublot big bang every where I go, its the SS carbon ceramic one, never had a problem. 99.99% of people would not have the faintest idea it was an expensive watch, He got mugged because of who he was, lets face it, he's not going to be wearing some crappy £20 quartz is he.

Self control, discipline and moral standards should stop little girls being jumped on and men with expensive watches having them ripped off their wrist.

Important word is 'should'.

However in the real World there are lots of nasty individuals out there. All looking for whatever floats their boat.

Self control, discipline and moral standards should stop little girls being jumped on

Yes, I am told the formula for working out the minimum acceptable age for a girlfriend is "half your age plus seven years" and by this yardstick he is a bit of a kiddie-diddler ;)

Not many.

However, if it was a used £11k watch that lists new for £20k and is now appreciating again there are a few on here who would do that I reckon.

Personally I'd be OK with wearing an Air King if I could get one for £700 odd from a desperate seller & I was satisfied I could easily sell it on for the same or more.

If you buy wisely and get a little lucky a Rolex can be a free ride.

Some people assume all Rolex wearers are tossers which is a drawback though.

WRT mugging, chav thieves don't know what really expensive watches look like.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336679/Bernie-Ecclestone-uses-black-eye-advertise-200k-Hublot-watch.html

Like you say, it's all relative. To someone in sub-saharan Africa a bottle of wine that costs a tenner in the supermarket here is probably a months wages, if not more.

I thought about this a while about in relation to cars. For an "ordinary" person to buy a car which costs, say, £15K will probably involve arranging finance or saving for quite a while. Either way, it's going to have a significant effect on ones finances. The other thing to bear in mind is that £15K is a significant percentage of that persons income and net worth.

Now, I love the Bugatti Veyron. I think that it's a stunning example of engineering. However, it costs £1M. One million pounds for a car - a means of getting from A to B, essentially. I used to wonder how anyone could possibly justify spendnig that amount of money just on a car. When you think about it though, the Veyron is actually so expensive that the only people who could even consider buying it are so wealthy that to whom £1M is not really of any great significance. These are people who probably already have a £100M yacht which costs £500K a year to run so a million for a car is not really a problem. Their purchase of a £1M car makes far less financial impact on them that the £15K car does on your or me.

Same with watches, if you're wealthy enough to spend £200K on a watch (and there are more expensive watches than there, believe me) then it probably isn't really of much significance to you.

Watches are totally useless vestiges of a bygone age! :blink:

I put one one every day and it's not as accurate as me cellphone! :angry:

That misses the point though. People who buy Ferrari's or Pagani's don't buy them for their reliability or useability as everyday transport. Some buy them for the blig aspect but many buy them because of the engineering or aesthetic aspects.

The same is true of high-end, mechanical watches. They buy them because they are supreme examples of engineering, of what humans are capable of creating. The precise time keeping aspect isn't important. Yes, you can get a quartz watch for next to nowt which will keep time with an error rate of a second or so a decade but making and assembling a mechanical watch by hand which keeps time to a second per day is actually a staggering feat of engineering - really, it is.

I read somewhere that a watch which gains or looses 5 minutes a day is actually 99.995% (from memory) accurate, and you would never accept a watch with that rate of error. You have to admit that making an accurate watch by hand is quite an achievement. Many top-end watches have multiple complications, such as moon-phase indicators, chronographs, split-second choronographs and minute repeaters - the latter is a feindishly complicated mechanism to get right which is why you could easily pay £50K for utterly plain gold watch with minute repeater. The fact that several makers combine all of the above and more is almost unbelievable, when you actually think about it. If you manage to house all this in an aesthetically pleasing case then it's even more of an acheivment.

I used to frequent watch discussion boards quite a bit. I always remember a quote I read on one which referred to a very expensive watch - well the gist of it anyway. It went along the lines of, "The man who can afford that watch can afford to read it on his terms". Meaning, of course, that if you are that wealthy then it doesn't really matter how punctual you are because you have people taking care of that for you and no one is going to bother if you're late anyway.

Salesmen use them as signs, along with other things I presume, in fancy car showrooms to tell if a scruffy looking bloke is in fact just in for a snoop or is minted.

They are a subtle way of informing only those knowledgable about these things that you may have lots of money - but don't advertise the fact.

Then again - as this story shows - some of these knowledgable people are also not very nice :lol:

Depends, I think. Someone sporting a brand new Rolex Sub may have bought it on a credit card and may be hocked up to the eyeballs on it so may not be a good finaclial bet. A bloke wearing a Patek Philippe Calatrava probably hasn't bought it on the drip but I doubt the sales-person would recognise the watch in the first place. Sales people who do do recognise them probably see enough not to care!

Also, just because you have a watch from a good maker doesn't mean that you are currently minted as you may have bought it years back. A nice thing about a decent watch is that even if things get a bit tight you always have an everyday connection to an example of the best engineering that humans can produce. At a push in tight times, it might even raise you a couple of grand whereas an expensive "fashion" watch probably won't.

Yes, I am told the formula for working out the minimum acceptable age for a girlfriend is "half your age plus seven years" and by this yardstick he is a bit of a kiddie-diddler ;)

That means that I'm fvcked then. My other half should be 26.5 years old by that reckoning but she's actually 30 in January. I can't even trade her in for her eldest sister 'cos she's only 18.

Depends, I think. Someone sporting a brand new Rolex Sub may have bought it on a credit card and may be hocked up to the eyeballs on it so may not be a good finaclial bet. A bloke wearing a Patek Philippe Calatrava probably hasn't bought it on the drip but I doubt the sales-person would recognise the watch in the first place. Sales people who do do recognise them probably see enough not to care!

Also, just because you have a watch from a good maker doesn't mean that you are currently minted as you may have bought it years back. A nice thing about a decent watch is that even if things get a bit tight you always have an everyday connection to an example of the best engineering that humans can produce. At a push in tight times, it might even raise you a couple of grand whereas an expensive "fashion" watch probably won't.

Just something someone told me once. That and hand made shoes apparently. Even the scummiest looking mega minted usually have a nice pair of shoes on and an expensive watch !!

I do like the idea of a nice watch. Although I am not quite at the posting on a watches forum stage. :P

I do post on a house price forum though. I actually think that is worse. :lol:

Not many.

However, if it was a used £11k watch that lists new for £20k and is now appreciating again there are a few on here who would do that I reckon.

Personally I'd be OK with wearing an Air King if I could get one for £700 odd from a desperate seller & I was satisfied I could easily sell it on for the same or more.

If you buy wisely and get a little lucky a Rolex can be a free ride.

Some people assume all Rolex wearers are tossers which is a drawback though.

WRT mugging, chav thieves don't know what really expensive watches look like.

I have to admit that Rolex's, well a lot of them, are extremely good uses of money when compared to other consumer goods. You wouldn't expect to pay £5K for a megaTV and get anything at all back from it even two years later. A new Rolex bought today will recoup a very high percentage of it's purchase cost in 10 years time and a Daytona Cosmagraph in stainless steel will produce a profit the day you take delivery!! Rolex watches are almost like a currency as they have very consistent values accross the globe and are fairly readily exchangable. The only two watch brands which are never includuded in Harrods twice annual sale (and the Harrods watch department told me this personally when I was looking for for something a while back) are Rolex and Patek Philipe. That says a lot. I mean, if they were to discount something with such solid re-sale prospects then they would, in effect, be doing the equivalent of selling a five pund note for four quid.

If I had such a watch, it would stay in a safe and never been worn.

I'd prefer one that cost under £50.

If I had such a watch, it would stay in a safe and never been worn.

I'd prefer one that cost under £50.

But why would you buy something for £200K and never use it? If you can't afford to use it then you probably can't actually afford it at all.