House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Anyone Got Any Housing News...

Not many posts about actual houses at the mo....is nothing happening ?

I noticed one thing this week...the graph on the home page looks very odd now....like no other crash we've ever had. :lol:

I noticed one thing this week...the graph on the home page looks very odd now....like no other crash we've ever had. :lol:

Moneyweek just posed an article saying on how many houses you can buy for some gold. :rolleyes:

To be fair, it is Christmas and the country is shutting down until January. I doubt we will have any news until the end of January now which I think would be a good time to decide whether to buy or not.

North Yorkshire market seems closed for the winter...... I'm moving this month...to a new rented place, total refurb, good area and >£250 / month less than current rent

no rising rents round 'ere :)

Actually, looking at it, it looks very similar to the last one, with a head and shoulders pattern (albeit with the shoulders a lot higher)...

There's no point any more.

If you say anything other than the usual HPC mantras you get your posts deleted or accused of being a ramper by the usual suspects.

Very sorry state of affairs.

If you say anything other than the usual HPC mantras you get your posts deleted or accused of being a ramper by the usual suspects.

Why haven't you been banned yet then?

thiunk a rise in IR would do it but, i cant see that happening for years to be honest,

Funny you should say that.

http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=GUKG10:IND

The Bank of England only sets the base rate, it has less control over real rates than you think. Even if it prints a load of money and buys Gilts, that only drives down interest rates temporarily. Once it finishes its actions, there is more money in the economy and inflationary expectations rise, and that causes the price of Gilts to fall from where they would have been.

The Bank of England has played its cards far better than most on here would give it credit. It devalued the pound with its QE a long time before anyone else, and this has helped our economy no end. I think they understand now though that hyper-inflation is a risk. This can easily be averted by not printing any more money, and by balancing the budget. This latter bit is out of the control of the BofE, and doesnt look like it is going to happen.

But all that Government borrowing is going to have an impact of interest rates. And our attempts to bail out other nations have led the markets to conclude that our borrowing must rise further, either to bail out our own banks again, or to bail out other countries so that our banks are bailed out indirectly. Now will the Bank of England do its job, and protect our currency from hyper-inflation?

I dont know the answer to that question, I bet the BofE are aware that they must make this decision at some point.

If they say 'No' to more printing, then we will see one helluva firework display. Interest rates on Gilts will go up into the sky, and the Government will be forced to balance the budget and renege on all sorts of promises. Most of our banks will need either a bailout or a bondholder haircut, but the Government wont have the cash for a bailout. That might cause some friction between the Bank of England and HMG, the independence of the Bank will be tested to the limit? Will it do the right thing and protect the currency or bow down to its political masters?

Either way, expect interest rates to keep on a rising. The 10 year is now over 3.5%. When and if we get to 4%, then the yellow warning light is definitely on. Remember, banks need a margin over the 10 year on their mortgage lending to make any money.

And if we get to 5%, its pyrotechnic time.

I am not sure that your alias or your avatar do you a bunch of favours on that score.

It's just pre-halifax figure fatigue.

it's a long month since the last set of negative (positive) data gets released.

What people should be starting to do now, is finding properties they like and putting in a offer which they feel is realistic. Why wait for 'the crash'? find a property you like and crash it yourself with a reasonable offer of 30%+ off and get on with your lifes.

You'll get limited success now, but if you find a clued up, right-thinking seller, who hasn't mewed to the max and bought their house waaay back when they were cheap, say 1994 - they might just agree to sell, instead of chasing the market down.

I have no doubt that come the Spring people will begin ramping asking prices again by putting them higher than they are now... then we will be in the cycle of waiting for the Summer to end just so that some of them will drop their asking prices back down to the ludicrous prices they are now asking.

The middle sector in my part of the World only appears to go up and never down - the low IRs mean that many are probably paying half what I am paying in rent.

I though that by now I would be seeing significant price drops but I am not - If I had bought 6 months ago I would have saved 6 months rent as the sellers are opting to take houses off the market rather than drop their asking price.

The middle sector in my part of the World only appears to go up and never down - the low IRs mean that many are probably paying half what I am paying in rent.

I though that by now I would be seeing significant price drops but I am not - If I had bought 6 months ago I would have saved 6 months rent as the sellers are opting to take houses off the market rather than drop their asking price.

I can only give my experiences:

I see the same as you. Houses that are reasonably ok, (£200-400k) are not falling in price. I can give examples where the same houses have sold for higher than 1 year ago, and more or less 'identical' houses have sold for 22% higher than the previous year. And yes, in some cases it it is cheaper to buy than rent, although this is a direct comparison between rent and mortgage costs only, and doesn't include other costs.

It may not be the news that most people want to hear, but this is the case where I am.

Why is everyone getting so impatient? Month on month prices have been falling for the last three or four months, as per pretty much all the indices and are on the brink of going year on year negative.

It will take a few years before prices hit rock bottom Buy if you must but I'll keep renting for a for more years ;).

To be fair, it is Christmas and the country is shutting down until January. I doubt we will have any news until the end of January now which I think would be a good time to decide whether to buy or not.

I wouldn't buy at present prices, even if I won the lottery. I might do a self-build though.

Come on , how childish is it asking for somebody to be banned because their opinion is different to yours?

I didn't ask for him to be banned and I wouldn't want him, or anyone else to be.

Just sick of his childish comments and insults and I can't really understand why he spends so much time on a site that he hates?

I have no doubt that come the Spring people will begin ramping asking prices again by putting them higher than they are now... then we will be in the cycle of waiting for the Summer to end just so that some of them will drop their asking prices back down to the ludicrous prices they are now asking.

+1

am ashamed to say that after 6 months renting (sold in April 2010) I have bought the cottage I was looking for (almost) at 10% off reduced asking. Just waiting to exchange and complete - probably new year now. Why did I buy? Could not wait another 5 years to see prices drop - which they will do I am sure as I am the wrong age to wait. My money was getting b**** all in the banks and I would sooner have it invested in something I can enjoy. If houses prices fall so be it - I do not have a debt to repay.

those of you who can wait - keep the faith. Houses are massively overpriced. :)

Falling house prices, even at a real -4% is a crash. I'm afraid you will have to be patient, another four years to go at least.