House Price Crash Forum

Confidence Soars As U K Exports Surge

HOLA441

This where I am with it--none of it makes sense and it ain't right but it does and doesn't seem to be happening.

What I do see is a government in partnership, if that is the right term, doing all they can to support house prices. Subsidies for those who can't (won't) pay their mortgages, non jobs for millions, IR that should not be so low. And yet the world markets have bought it and rated our bonds as among the elite in the world and our currency rock solid after a few weeks of troubles back in the summer when they thought the EU mess might spill over here.

We are not just the last man standing , HPI-wise, but the only man standing in the Western economies. Maybe its because its the norm here to be priced out and only the rich have it so good? The city can make up for millions of unemployed and our exports are steaming--as one poster put it, one single RR Engine is equivalent to 300 tons of Chinese tat.

a government in partnership ?

hahaha. there wasnt even an election really. just a pretend one. it was really silly.

its not about the uk, its a global thing. its about the end of capitalism i think.

be easy to put my head in the sand and la la la, but its happening in our lifespans.

everyone else just passed the buck to the next generation. i suppose it got too much to prop.

Edited by right_freds_dead

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I still contend that the current economic 'recovery' has more to do with the actions of the Federal Reserve than anything Brown and Co have done. The extraordinarily cheap supply of endless amounts of money is at the heart of the matter.

Exactly, what we are seeing is artificial economic expansion finaced by QE (i.e. money supply inflation).

Zimbabwe here we come...

HOLA445

Anyone who thinks that the market can be magically held up infinitely by TPTB needs their heads testing.

If it could be done, why didn't they do it in the last crash... or the one before that... etc.

They may try, but it will just be a Wile E. Coyote moment, rather than a gentle (ish) coast down the pass.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

What exports in particular??

jet engines, airliner wings, reprocessed nuclear fuels, international banking (...I know...), warships, fighter jets, missiles, agricultural machinery, pharmaceuticals and patents, fertiliser, industrial chemicals, high-tech car components and research, etc

HOLA4410

On a theoretical level, I'm a full on HPC convert. Everything I see and hear suggests this is not just a bubble we're in, but a massive one at that. Things should have collapsed a long time ago, but they haven't and more importantly they don't seem to be doing so now either, beyond the odd minus 0.4%... It is very demoralising and I believe beginning to inflict real long term damage on British society in terms of kids moving back in with their parents, people delaying the start of families, jobs going abroad because companies dont want to pay our exorbitant cost of living etc.

On a similar note, I'm also a full convert to all the theories behind climate change and have been since the mid 90s. And yet 2010 has produced some of the coldest weather I can recall...

Edited by rantnrave

HOLA4411

On a similar note, I'm also a full convert to all the theories behind climate change and have been since the mid 90s. And yet 2010 has produced some of the coldest weather I can recall...

As I understand it, climate change does not mean it will get warmer in the UK- it will get colder because of the change in ocean currents.

HOLA4412

jet engines, airliner wings, reprocessed nuclear fuels, international banking (...I know...), warships, fighter jets, missiles, agricultural machinery, pharmaceuticals and patents, fertiliser, industrial chemicals, high-tech car components and research, etc

I know of a ship that left Hull Docks full of conveyor belts , bound for Scandinavia, just last week.

I think it would be quite an eye opener to most on here if they were to stand on the dock and see how much we actually put on ships leaving this country.

HOLA4413

I know of a ship that left Hull Docks full of conveyor belts , bound for Scandinavia, just last week.

I think it would be quite an eye opener to most on here if they were to stand on the dock and see how much we actually put on ships leaving this country.

To a certain extent - the trucks full of stuff going out have to weave their way between the convoys of stuff coming in. Therein lies the problem.

HOLA4414

To a certain extent - the trucks full of stuff going out have to weave their way between the convoys of stuff coming in. Therein lies the problem.

You could ignore the trucks and just count the containers that are getting loaded onto the ships. I see it every week , we export loads. People on here would rather stick with the forum mantra that Britain is finished though.

HOLA4415

You could ignore the trucks and just count the containers that are getting loaded onto the ships. I see it every week , we export loads. People on here would rather stick with the forum mantra that Britain is finished though.

The problem with manufacturing in Britain is that it's pretty efficient, so doesn't employ very many people. Hence everyone thinks that it's dead.

HOLA4416

The problem with manufacturing in Britain is that it's pretty efficient, so doesn't employ very many people. Hence everyone thinks that it's dead.

What's the cause and effect here? It is pretty efficient so it doesn't employ many people or vice-versa?

PS - The name 'Riedquat' is giving me flashbacks to a misspent youth staring at 3D constructions of space-ships on a computer game. Am I right?

Edited by rantnrave

HOLA4417

I just asked on a truckers' forum and the two main loads exported in containers are waste paper and scrap metal.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Reads like a case of the winter blues... Have you ever tried one of those S.A.D. blue light things? I can recommend them...

Might have something to do with it although I have just come back from 10 days on the Costa Tropicana where I was sunbathing by the pool and enjoying walks on empty beaches in my short sleeved shirt! Coming back here has a tendency to bring one down--especially when you see some fantastico villas in Spain going for half what you would pay for a nasty little dump over here.

But I do wonder if we are expecting too much and that the crash is over and its prosperity and continuing high prices from here on:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/European-shares-hit-26-month-reuters_molt-2022310642.html?x=0

European shares hit 26-month closing high
17:05, Wednesday 8 December 2010
LONDON (
Reuters
) - European equities hit a 26-month closing high on Wednesday, boosted by banking and insurance shares, on expectations that concerns about the euro zone debt crisis will abate and financials will perform well.
Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4421

Might have something to do with it although I have just come back from 10 days on the Costa Tropicana where I was sunbathing by the pool and enjoying walks on empty beaches in my short sleeved shirt! Coming back here has a tendency to bring one down--especially when you see some fantastico villas in Spain going for half what you would pay for a nasty little dump over here.

Er yes, I am very tempted to decamp to Spain with my STR fund next year and buy or rent such a place. It's unlikely that I will work for at least two or three years so I might as well be unemployed in the warm laying by a pool drinking cheap beer and wine and smoking fags at £2.50 a packet as being here.

I do think you are wrong with your prognosis on house prices though and you just need to wait a little longer, the darkest hour is just before the dawn...

HOLA4422

Er yes, I am very tempted to decamp to Spain with my STR fund next year and buy or rent such a place. It's unlikely that I will work for at least two or three years so I might as well be unemployed in the warm laying by a pool drinking cheap beer and wine and smoking fags at £2.50 a packet as being here.

I'm off on holiday to Argentina in January.

3 weeks of £1 a pint and 95 degree sunshine.Bliss.

HOLA4423

I'm off on holiday to Argentina in January.

3 weeks of £1 a pint and 95 degree sunshine.Bliss.

Enjoy that, I have never been to South America, maybe one day...

Don't forget though that at the end of the day you are an HPCer on holiday, and we will want to see photos of properties for sale, complete with asking prices when you get back ;)

HOLA4424

I do think you are wrong with your prognosis on house prices though and you just need to wait a little longer, the darkest hour is just before the dawn...

I found some really nice Riojas down there for just over 3 Euros. The roads are fabulous, pot hole free and very little traffic. Enjoyed driving around the Andelucian mountains and stopping in the little Cafes for a Cervesa and decent lunch for about 4 Euros.

And the weather--ah thats a good reason to decamp.

The Spanish do keep themselves to themselves so if you move there you might need to find a colony of other Brits--they are not all Chavaliers but just normal sorts who got tired of waiting in the UK.

The HPC has hit Spain quite hard so prices down there seem pretty good.

HOLA4425

I found some really nice Riojas down there for just over 3 Euros. The roads are fabulous, pot hole free and very little traffic. Enjoyed driving around the Andelucian mountains and stopping in the little Cafes for a Cervesa and decent lunch for about 4 Euros.

And the weather--ah thats a good reason to decamp.

The Spanish do keep themselves to themselves so if you move there you might need to find a colony of other Brits--they are not all Chavaliers but just normal sorts who got tired of waiting in the UK.

The HPC has hit Spain quite hard so prices down there seem pretty good.

Yes, I've been all over Spain with work (driving an articulated lorry).

Prices have gone up but it is still possible to get an excellent meal at a good restaurant with as much wine as you can drink for a tenner. You can go into a bar and have a beer and a cigarette. Roads are excellent as you say and the temperature varies between warm and hot.

I'm giving it serious thought, have previously looked on RightMove to get a basic idea of house values and have also discovered that I can get a week there, flights and self-catering accommodation for the two of us for a total of £190 in February so we may well go off and do some research...