House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dubsie

Shark Attack In Egypt

Egypt, the med and even the bay of biscay are well known for it's large sharks. They rarely come close to the shore as the food supply for such large fish would be in deeper water.

If people are drawing in sharks for tourists by using food and then stop feeding them the chances of the shark then turning on people is obviously very high. Someone had lured sharks into a new hunting ground where the only food is what has been put in the water and swimmers.

Mako and White tips are as dangerous as great whites and bull sharks. Humans are vitually disabled in water and easy game for even the smallest shark. I have seen huge sharks in France and Greece and was even shown a picture of a great White in the bay of biscay. People who swim in these waters should be alerted to the fact that the sea does contain higher predators such as sharks.

It always shocks me when people get hysterical about a shark attack. More people die from dog bites but if we enter the sea we have to accept

what lives in it. Unfortunately these poor victims are not the victims of shark behaviour but the result of encouraging the seas top predator into a zone where there is no natural food.

The most dangerous thing about the sea is the sea. I went surfing in west Africa and despite all the sharks the only incident was a swimmer getting caught out by the strong currents.

I think I read somewhere that the most likely animal to kill you is a water buffalo (Fawlty be proud). And that elephants top sharks thousands to one.

(But I have no proof given my cauliflower brain.)

Mosquito ? Although that is indirectly but it still kills you.

And what about the species of humans ? Far more likely one of them will kill you than some big shark !!

Apparently White Tips account for more shark attacks than all the other shark types put together.

Not a lot of people know that.

michael-caine03-sm.jpg

I think I read somewhere that the most likely animal to kill you is a water buffalo (Fawlty be proud). And that elephants top sharks thousands to one.

(But I have no proof given my cauliflower brain.)

In Africa, yes - Dorset, unlikely.

Nasty critters, those Buffalo. They have spurs on the back feet, and after knocking you down, trample all over you and fill you with holes.

Next comes Hippo's. They don't like small boats rubbing their backs. Makes them real mad.

As for the UK. Being in a serious car accident would be far worse than getting eaten by a shark. Far worse. But we don't realise it.

Mosquito ? Although that is indirectly but it still kills you.

And what about the species of humans ? Far more likely one of them will kill you than some big shark !!

Is it 6 million estimated deaths by malaria? Huge numbers involved.

As for the UK. Being in a serious car accident would be far worse than getting eaten by a shark. Far worse. But we don't realise it.

+1.

It amazes me how the press will spout on about the 60 ish (was it?) people who died in the Uk from the H1N1 ("swine flu") virus when an average of 8 people EVERY DAY die on Britain's roads.

It has dropped a lot over the years (your'e 3 times as likely to die on the roads in Greece or Romania), but to put it in perspective, it is the biggest killer of men aged 21-25 in the UK. In the USA, the most likely way to die as a man aged in 21-25 is by gunshot.

300 million to one chance of dying in a shark attack according to this list:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-world/2008/05/30/scientists-calculate-odd-ways-to-die-115875-17495916/

In Africa, yes - Dorset, unlikely.

Derby - possibly. There is (or was) one hanging around in a field near the river. Apparently they couldn't persuade it to move when the river flooded.

I speak as a (crap) surfer, IMO these stats comparing car accidents (or whatever)and shark attacks are sh1te.

1. Non-swimmers have zero chance of being killed by a shark unless they fall into the sea.

2. Swimmers who don't go in the sea have zero chance of being killed by a shark unless they fall into the sea.

3. Swimmers who only swim in seas that are considered safe re. sharks have an almost zero chance of being killed by a shark.

As those three make up a very significant part of the population, so the stats are skewed.

If you surf/snorkel/swim in feeding areas of Oceanic white tips or hammerheads or great whites or bull sharks or tiger sharks, then your chance of being killed is a LOT more than 300 million to one. Still small, but it can happen.

A lot of people disappear when swimming in Australia and other places with motivated tourist boards and are listed drowned. I doubt if they all drown.

+1.

It amazes me how the press will spout on about the 60 ish (was it?) people who died in the Uk from the H1N1 ("swine flu") virus when an average of 8 people EVERY DAY die on Britain's roads.

Interesting how we are all fooled by panics, but not statistics! ;)

+1.

Interesting how we are all fooled by panics, but not statistics! ;)

The press are. I don't remember many people that I've actually talked to being all that concerned about it.

Well, how do you account for what happened to Harold Bishop then?

Proud to say I had to google that.

I watched Neighbours 20 years ago when I was a student and that incredibly luscious Imbruglia woman was in it as Beth, his character was less memorable to me, funny that.

I speak as a (crap) surfer, IMO these stats comparing car accidents (or whatever)and shark attacks are sh1te.

1. Non-swimmers have zero chance of being killed by a shark unless they fall into the sea.

2. Swimmers who don't go in the sea have zero chance of being killed by a shark unless they fall into the sea.

3. Swimmers who only swim in seas that are considered safe re. sharks have an almost zero chance of being killed by a shark.

As those three make up a very significant part of the population, so the stats are skewed.

If you surf/snorkel/swim in feeding areas of Oceanic white tips or hammerheads or great whites or bull sharks or tiger sharks, then your chance of being killed is a LOT more than 300 million to one. Still small, but it can happen.

A lot of people disappear when swimming in Australia and other places with motivated tourist boards and are listed drowned. I doubt if they all drown.

Ha, This is always my argument. I surf, so im probably 100 million times more likely to get eaten by a shark than my mother, Who wont even go in a boat.