House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Some Bloke On The Radio Saying Shop Sales Down

I haven't seen this posted elsewhere.

On Fivelive's 'Wake Up to Money' this morning some guy was on talking about how shops are getting really nervous about sales of non-discretionary items - i.e. clothing, black and white goods - in the run-up to Christmas.

Apparently people are not spending and the shops are beginning to panic as 40% of their YOY sales are done in the 6 weeks prior to Christmas.

And now they have the snow stopping people going shopping.

I haven't seen this posted elsewhere.

On Fivelive's 'Wake Up to Money' this morning some guy was on talking about how shops are getting really nervous about sales of non-discretionary items - i.e. clothing, black and white goods - in the run-up to Christmas.

Apparently people are not spending and the shops are beginning to panic as 40% of their YOY sales are done in the 6 weeks prior to Christmas.

And now they have the snow stopping people going shopping.

And here's, little old me, thinking it was due to less money in ones pocket.

Just wait when the VAT rise kicks in. There's going to be a lot more squealing.

Just wait when the VAT rise kicks in. There's going to be a lot more squealing.

According to many on here, an instant overnight 2.5% increase on many items that are discretionary won't have any impact on sales.

I like the way they describe £831,000 as "nearly a million pounds".

If you go to view a house priced at £1,000,000 or near offer you know how much to offer. :P

According to many on here, an instant overnight 2.5% increase on many items that are discretionary won't have any impact on sales.

It only takes one person in 40 to not make that purchase to eliminate any benefits that the VAT increase gains.

You and me, it might just sting a little bit, knowing we are not getting quite as good a deal as we would have a month ago.

To others, it might just make the difference between making the purchase, or not.

Or, put another way, maybe buy a washing machine, or a dryer, but not both.

The question is, will the 2.5% price increase make 2.5% difference to sales, or will it make more difference to sales?

Whichever, it certainly won't make zero difference.

I like the way they describe £831,000 as "nearly a million pounds".

If you go to view a house priced at £1,000,000 or near offer you know how much to offer. :P

Yes, £400k.

It only takes one person in 40 to not make that purchase to eliminate any benefits that the VAT increase gains.

You and me, it might just sting a little bit, knowing we are not getting quite as good a deal as we would have a month ago.

To others, it might just make the difference between making the purchase, or not.

Or, put another way, maybe buy a washing machine, or a dryer, but not both.

The question is, will the 2.5% price increase make 2.5% difference to sales, or will it make more difference to sales?

Whichever, it certainly won't make zero difference.

I totally agree. For retailers, especially in the post New Year gloom, it's going to be like kicking a man when he's down.

People "won't notice" the VAT increase in the sense that if you go to the shops with a £50 note and buy half-a-dozen items, you don't notice the difference between having (say) £13.41 and £12.92 in your pockets when you get home. But you still have less to spend the next time you go shopping.

People "won't notice" the VAT increase in the sense that if you go to the shops with a £50 note and buy half-a-dozen items, you don't notice the difference between having (say) £13.41 and £12.92 in your pockets when you get home. But you still have less to spend the next time you go shopping.

Nah - who shops with money these days?

All it means is your credit card takes more of a hit.

For a while, at least.

This is mainly going to hurt the tax take -- shops basically split your money between HMRC, their landlord and China with a little left over for them to tick over on NMW.

Nah - who shops with money these days?

All it means is your credit card takes more of a hit.

Same difference... although I still use cash for most everyday transactions, paying for £60's worth of petrol with money takes about half a second, paying with a debit card takes half a minute.

Is this one of them HPC threads that wants all the shops to go bust , millions to lose their jobs , so a house can be picked up on the cheap? :lol:

ok.

so instead the lower generation must pay TRIPLE housing costs to keep something going that isnt viable ?

and what about the generation after that ? what do we do then ?

triple them again ? on the same wages ?

its not about picking up a bargain. its about pricing shelter fairly with balance in an economy that functions without endless debt to later repay propping up all those charity and coffee shops and interweb ipanty pad stores. at some point, the ******** must stop.