House Price Crash Forum
Reck B

Halifax Hp Index

Anyone know when this is due out?

I'm going for a 0.8% drop.

Stumbled across this 2009 article about November 2009's 1.4% rise which I thought was quite interesting. Last year's november rise was the fifth in a row. hmmm not this year hey?!

Sky News December 2009

House prices rose by a faster-than-expected 1.4% in November as the property market continues to improve, according to building society Halifax.

Houses for sale in east London

Halifax says it expects prices to remain flat in 2010

The rise for the fifth month in a row was driven by higher demand and a low level of properties for sale.

Back in April house prices had sunk 17.7% over 12 months - but the latest figures mean that the annual rate at which house prices are falling is now just 1.6%.

But Halifax told Sky News it is "virtually certain" that by the end of this year prices will have actually increased overall in 2009.

The average cost of a home now stands at £167,664 B) - the highest level since October 2008.

But the group warned that the prospects for the market going forward depended on the state of the economy and whether there was an increase in the number of homes put up for sale.

Halifax added that it expects house prices to remain flat during 2010.

Economist Howard Archer, from IHS Global Insight, said: "Despite the further significant rise in house prices reported by the Halifax in November, we remain sceptical that the house price rally seen since early-2009 can be sustained for much longer.

"Consequently, while house prices may well rise further in the near term from their early-2009 lows, we suspect that they they will be prone to relapses in 2010."

The latest house price figures come after the Bank of England reported that the number of loans approved for house purchase had increased for the 11th consecutive month in October.

They rose to 57,345, their highest level since March 2008.

Nationwide also posted a rise in house prices for November - but at a more modest 0.5%

Edited by Reck B

Stumbled across this 2009 article about November 2009's 1.4% rise which I thought was quite interesting. Last year's november rise was the fifth in a row. hmmm not this year hey?!

Nice find.

According to Forex, it's out Wednesday or Thursday.

http://www.forexfactory.com/calendar.php

I reckon it'll be -0.5% - I doubt very much it will be positive - but I haven't got a clue really :D

- 1.1 %

I will say a nice round 1.5% drop.

It's great to see that Sky News was reporting so accurately.

How long has it been since Halifax stopped being a Building Society and became a bank?

Answer: It was June 1997.

I think property prices will improve - but I'm not going to guess how much they'll fall by.

Agreed. Any fall is an improvement.

I'm going with a range this month between +5% and -7%

It depends on how the wish to present the figures. Probably a month on month fall, but I'd be surprised if they'll want to present a year on year fall for people to fret about over Christmas.

IIRC they need a 0.8% rise to remain Yoy positive.