House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Beans

Britain's Changing High Street

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11915437

_50313547_shop_mag_976.gif

The UK economy continued to grow, according to the latest figures, but consumer spending has slowed and retailers across the country are still feeling the effects of the recession. And research commissioned by the BBC into the number of vacant shops in England, Wales and Scotland suggests our changing consumer habits, as well as the downturn, are transforming the face of our High Streets.

Not at all surprised about Off-Licence numbers...

Not at all surprised about Off-Licence numbers...

Mostly due to one large chain - First Quench (the owner of Threshers and Wine Rack) going bust.

Surprised that the number of pubs closing didn't get picked up as that is meant to be a larger than the number of OLs closing...

Edited by koala_bear

Mostly due to one large chain - First Quench (the owner of Threshers and Wine Rack) going bust.

Surprised that the number of pubs closing didn't get picked up as that is meant to be a larger than the number of OLs closing...

Yes, I would say that around half of the pubs in my town have closed down over the last three or four years.

It seems to me that what started the avalanche was the smoking ban and I can't help but wonder if this was less due to health reasons and more due to the Gubmint not wishing the Lower Orders to congregate together and foment revolution

Yes, I would say that around half of the pubs in my town have closed down over the last three or four years.

It seems to me that what started the avalanche was the smoking ban and I can't help but wonder if this was less due to health reasons and more due to the Gubmint not wishing the Lower Orders to congregate together and foment revolution

laugh.gif That and cheapo supermarket booze, as of course its quite acceptable for Sainsbury's and Tesco's to get the young hooked on cider and cheap lager.

laugh.gif That and cheapo supermarket booze, as of course its quite acceptable for Sainsbury's and Tesco's to get the young hooked on cider and cheap lager.

Yep, no surprise that supermarkets have grown by 12% and off-licenses have shrunk by 19%....

I asked this on the identical thread. Why is some of the map coloured yellow and the rest grey?

The yellow bits have labels.

That too, same as in my industry- road transport- everything seems to be getting pushed upwards from the one-man-band and the small operator towards the Eddie Stobarts and the DHLs of this world.

The Government are quite happy for alcohol to be consumed, so long as it is provided by Tesco, and quite happy for people to smoke cigarettes provided they buy them from Tesco.

The important thing is that they consume these items indoors only where they can be told what to think via the medium of the television which was supplied by Tesco.

That too, same as in my industry- road transport- everything seems to be getting pushed upwards from the one-man-band and the small operator towards the Eddie Stobarts and the DHLs of this world.

The Government are quite happy for alcohol to be consumed, so long as it is provided by Tesco, and quite happy for people to smoke cigarettes provided they buy them from Tesco.

The important thing is that they consume these items indoors only where they can be told what to think via the medium of the television which was supplied by Tesco.

I'm fairly certain that the government would legalise heroine, and crack if Tesco and Sainsbury's offered to stock it.

Sold online via a Guernsey subsidiary to avoid paying the VAT of course.cool.gif

I'm fairly certain that the government would legalise heroine, and crack if Tesco and Sainsbury's offered to stock it.

If they could work out a way of capturing breathing air, storing it in gasometers and then selling it back to us then they would do it.

Same in Scotland, and yet the BEEB are reporting Bars, pubs & clubs as +5%

How does that work then? Who's getting all these new boozers to choose from?

If that's the case, it'll be interesting to see what happens when the gubbernment hit them with a five grand compulsory license to allow them to extend their hours...

...they lengthened the opening hours....then decided people were drinking too much. ;)

Has anyone mentioned the mobile phone shop....lots about.....why? ;)

..and the mobile phone accessory shop too, selling covers, cases and unlocking them too. Curiously two shops selling computer printer ink and parts have gone out of business in my town.

Edited by Sir John Steed

Some great new boozers opening in Leeds. Veritas a few weeks ago - a real ale and wine bar. Bierkeller - a basement German bar with strong German ales served to the table by busty wenches. Hedley Verity, a new Wetherspoons always serving lots of real ale.

The pubs that are closing are crappy ones that only served Carling, "smooth" (whatever that is) and Guinness to the same bunch of middle-aged tattoed pot-bellied louts.

The pubs that are opening are ones serving decent beer and wine in a more pleasant atmosphere.