House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
longtomsilver

Estate Agents Shop Windows

Interesting, certainly from a Welsh perspective the data backs up what myself and friends have been discussing - Wales has become a High Street of Supermarkets, Pound shops and Charity shops.

Pretty much everything else is dying.

Pretty much everything else is dying.

Depends what you mean. Dying in the sense of relocating to the virtual online world? These days, who under the age of 50 doesn't walk into a shop, find something they like, then go and find a cheaper price when they get home and browse the web...

High streets will essentially become full of stores which sell products that it doesn't make sense to sell online - clothes shops (so you can try stuff on), supermarkets (especially fresh stuff), Pound shops (too cheap to add p&p to), charity shops, a token one or two banks etc.

I fully expect EA 'shops' to all but disappear once a succesful online format for buying and selling houses is developed (three bed semi - add to basket?). Rightmove is a start.

Edited by rantnrave

These days, who under the age of 50 doesn't walk into a shop, find something they like, then go and find a cheaper price when they get home and browse the web...

Me, unless the price difference is likely to be significant. Once I've made up my mind I hate waiting for something to turn up, almost certainly having to make a trip to the post office to pick it up if it won't fit through the letterbox, which is only open at a useful time once or twice a week. For something under £10 I wouldn't consider buying online at all if I could easily get the same item in a shop. If it's bulky enough it's even worse, involving having to use up one of a far too limited number of days off work, so I'm even less likely to consider online then if it'll fit into the car, unless it's something I couldn't walk out of the shop with anyway.

Me, unless the price difference is likely to be significant. Once I've made up my mind I hate waiting for something to turn up, almost certainly having to make a trip to the post office to pick it up if it won't fit through the letterbox, which is only open at a useful time once or twice a week. For something under £10 I wouldn't consider buying online at all if I could easily get the same item in a shop. If it's bulky enough it's even worse, involving having to use up one of a far too limited number of days off work, so I'm even less likely to consider online then if it'll fit into the car, unless it's something I couldn't walk out of the shop with anyway.

I get stuff sent to my work address, because someone will be in (unless it's a Saturday). Seems a lot of my colleagues do too.

Just a thought.

I get stuff sent to my work address, because someone will be in (unless it's a Saturday). Seems a lot of my colleagues do too.

Just a thought.

Heaven forbid, the last thing I want is for any of them to get any idea about what I spend my money on! :)