House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Wikileaks: Top Chinese Official Doesn't Believe Gdp Figures

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/china-business/8183389/Wikileaks-Top-Chinese-official-doesnt-believe-GDP-figures.html

The 55-year-old is widely tipped to become China's next prime minister and is currently the country's executive vice premier, with responsibility for macro-economic management.

However, in private talks with the US ambassador in 2007, when he was still just the head of the Chinese province of Liaoning, Mr Li cast doubt on China's much-vaunted economic statistics.

A diplomatic cable leaked by Wikileaks, the whistle-blowing website, reveals that Mr Li described China's gross domestic product figure as "man-made" and "therefore unreliable".

Chinese officials have repeatedly been found to have artificially inflated their local GDP figures in order to win face and hit their targets.

On several occasions, the sum of all of China's local GDP tallies added up to more than the national statistic. In 2009, for example, the National Bureau of Statistics said first half GDP had grown by 7.1pc to 13.99 trillion yuan (£1.37 trillion), only to find that the sum of local GDP readouts was 10pc higher.

Yet another truly shocking leak from Wikileaks, China makes up a made up figure.

Interesting to see that once you set targets people try to make them no matter what.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/china-business/8183389/Wikileaks-Top-Chinese-official-doesnt-believe-GDP-figures.html

Yet another truly shocking leak from Wikileaks, China makes up a made up figure.

Interesting to see that once you set targets people try to make them no matter what.

Old news - it is a well known issue. They are just rehashing it in terms of the leaks

Like everywhere else you have a tiny elite (90% of millionaires are the children of high ranking party members) who control all the money, a middle class of about 10% of the population and 90% in absolute poverty working in slave like conditions.

Unless this growth in GDP is shared around then it is fairly useless to most Chinese.

I went last year, in Beijing I saw lots of rich people, driven around in Mercedes cars and living an entirely western lifestyle.

In rural China it was indistinguishable from 100 years back (apart from they all had mobiles), most people slept in huts with chickens and ducks living in the same room.

WikiLeaks bloke now in some sort of trouble for giving a false address to his Swiss bank. Funds frozen.

Seems they're throwing the book.

They are doing everything they can to stop him releasing information about the banking system.

WikiLeaks bloke now in some sort of trouble for giving a false address to his Swiss bank. Funds frozen.

Seems they're throwing the book.

I really hope Wikileaks has some incredibly juicy stuff on the banks.

I really hope Wikileaks has some incredibly juicy stuff on the banks.

I hope that mob at Wikileaks get thrown in the darkest dungeon and the keys thrown away. What I can`t stand are intellectual Anarchists.

When WWIII starts I hope you are upfront volunteering to go or dragged by the Government as a conscript. In all private correspondence whether it be what Wikileaks are publishing or by private individuals it is confidential.

Right, you can attack me as much as you like but Anarchy be it Intellectual or by the Unwashed will destroy what meek democracy we live in. :rolleyes: