House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Portent

B&q To Close 22 Stores

not to bang my own drum, but i did mention they were struggling back in may/june.

This may be a dumb question (I'm in Australia), but is this mob in the same line of business as Wickes?

I've got relatives who work at Wickes who were planning to come out to Oz for a holiday next year. I hope they're not going to be affected by job troubles.

This may be a dumb question (I'm in Australia), but is this mob in the same line of business as Wickes? 

I've got relatives who work at Wickes who were planning to come out to Oz for a holiday next year.  I hope they're not going to be affected by job troubles.

Wickes just announced some job losses last month too.

No store closures yet though..

wickes have not long been bought out

by travis perkins, who overpaid badly.

in northampton there are two massive

sheds next to each other - one is wickes

and the other is travis perkins

<strokes chin> i wonder what will happen

there then </strokes chin> :(

Guest rigsby II
It must be a trend. Been to IKEA a couple of times lately at weekends. Usually a zoo - but low traffic and managed to get checked out in less than 5 minutes.

They are closing down a big B&Q depot near me and IKEA are taking it over.

There were too many B&Q's anyway. I can think of at least 3 big depots and another 2 smaller ones in a 5 mile radius.

And their timber is all bent and overpriced...

I've got relatives who work at Wickes who were planning to come out to Oz for a holiday next year.  I hope they're not going to be affected by job troubles.

Yup, same line, except Wickes is now owned by Travis Perkins, they were struggling before and were bought up by them, now they're all struggling I'm sorry to say :(

They are closing down a big B&Q depot near me and IKEA are taking it over.

There were too many B&Q's anyway. I can think of at least 3 big depots and another 2 smaller ones in a 5 mile radius.

And their timber is all bent and overpriced...

Don't you think it is better than having just a few enormous stores though (even if it is not financially possible). I still have nightmares from the time I went to IKEA and that was 5 years ago.

Don't you think it is better than having just a few enormous stores though (even if it is not financially possible). I still have nightmares from the time I went to IKEA and that was 5 years ago.

i'm the same,takes half an hour to get a trolley if you go in the wrong door,then you need a compass & a map (or better still GPS ) to find the exit. :blink:

Guest muttley
Shoddy looking handwritten sign on nearest roundabout to local store today, advertising 10% off weekend. Never seen them doing that before.

Same here.But for some reason they had sold out of jerry cans <_<