House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

profitofdoom

Jeremy Hunt Culture Secretary

Thanks for posting.

I was showering with Today on in the background. I could hear that something hadn't gone according to plan, but didn't catch the details through the running water.

As a follow-up, I'm amazed by how many times James Naughtie has felt obliged to apologise to 'all those who were offended by what I said'[1].

Philosophically (and rationally) speaking, it's hard to justify being upset by 'bad' language anyway, but I'm utterly baffled how people could possibly be offended when the 'bad' word slips out completely by accident. :huh:

[1] He mentioned earlier how many emails they've received -- many listeners being amused by his slip, but also quite a lot who were upset/offended.

As a follow-up, I'm amazed by how many times James Naughtie has felt obliged to apologise to 'all those who were offended by what I said'[1].

It could only be construed as offensive if he'd intended to say it, so anyone who claims to be offended is clearly a moron. The correct response was, of course, hilarity.

It could only be construed as offensive if he'd intended to say it, so anyone who claims to be offended is clearly a moron. The correct response was, of course, hilarity.

I thought it topped Jonner's "The batsman's Holding,the bowler's Willey". Much the same result as Naughtie was unable to get through the headlines.I could just see them in the studio as they broke down into laughter paralysis.Evan Davis held up quite well, it's a cracker!

Fair play, they've put it up on the news pages:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11925556

Later on Monday, broadcaster Andrew Marr repeated the four-letter expletive on Radio 4's Start the Week programme.

"We're not going to repeat it in quite the terms it happened," he told listeners, before doing precisely that.

After his error, he told the audience: "I should apologise for saying it again, but it's very hard to talk about it without saying it."

Damn, I missed that as well!

I remember a radio broadcast when the newsreader meant to say "The famous Yugoslavian (that dates it) port of Split". What he actually said was "The famous Yugoslavian sport of clit".

Trevor Macdonald once did this too, when talking about 'Protesters in Kent'.

The phrase Trevor McDonald messed up was "in the Kent countryside". This made national headlines and required profuse apologies afterwards.

About a month afterwards, he was given another "and finally" story which once again involved the scripted phrase "in the Kent countryside"- obviously an in-joke and an attempt to lay a trap by his colleagues.

He spoke his lines carefully and perfectly, finished the story and then, with a broad grin to camera, ended with an ad libbed "and that's what happened today in the Kent countryside"

They're calling this a Spoonerism but isn't more of a Freudian slip? Is there any evidence that Jeremy Hunt isn't, in fact, a ****? His background is pure ****:

Hunt was educated at Charterhouse School, an independent school near Godalming in Surrey, where he was head boy, followed by Magdalen College at the University of Oxford, where he achieved a First in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics (PPE). He became President of Oxford University Conservative Association in 1987.

Anyway, the c-word always seems to appearing on TV by accident. Here's another. I can only guess he's saying, 'Good Luck, hun' but isn't it only girlies that call each other 'hun'?

Well rather than just news.bbc.co.uk , I was quite amused to see Newsnight report it.

What really made me laugh was their closing sequence - it was a video of fox hunting.

My wife and I sat puzzled for a few seconds, until I realised it was the "Berkshire Hunt."

I must see if its on iPlayer.

PS

Yes it is go to 46:45 and play from there;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wmnpc/Newsnight_06_12_2010/

Well rather than just news.bbc.co.uk , I was quite amused to see Newsnight report it.

I am always impressed by Newsnight's cunning stunts and shining wits. ;)