House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Something Odd On Rightmove In Swansea

Something bizarre is going on - never heard of this EA. Look at the listings and descriptions.

The below link is for properties listed, including STC, listed within 5 miles of SA2 within the last 24 hours.

This is really weird as the road and street names exists but the prices, descriptions... Never seen or heard of this EA before. I wonder what is going on?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?searchType=SALE&locationIdentifier=OUTCODE^2268&insId=1&radius=5.0&displayPropertyType=&minBedrooms=&maxBedrooms=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&retirement=&partBuyPartRent=&maxDaysSinceAdded=1&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on&x=10&y=10&sortByPriceDescending=&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&newHome=&auction=false

Something bizarre is going on - never heard of this EA. Look at the listings and descriptions.

The below link is for properties listed, including STC, listed within 5 miles of SA2 within the last 24 hours.

This is really weird as the road and street names exists but the prices, descriptions... Never seen or heard of this EA before. I wonder what is going on?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?searchType=SALE&locationIdentifier=OUTCODE^2268&insId=1&radius=5.0&displayPropertyType=&minBedrooms=&maxBedrooms=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&retirement=&partBuyPartRent=&maxDaysSinceAdded=1&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on&x=10&y=10&sortByPriceDescending=&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&newHome=&auction=false

Rightmove House Price Index manipulation?

Yes, I was just talking with some journo friends about it - could not let the meeja miss out on this - and we were wondering if there was a hack going on or what.

Give it a couple of hours, another coffee and you'll suddenly get some alarming flashbacks about what you did when you got home from the pub last night...

Give it a couple of hours, another coffee and you'll suddenly get some alarming flashbacks about what you did when you got home from the pub last night...

LMAO! No, I already had that when I woke up and found a riding crop and a stick of wet lettuce in my bed.

Alas, there appears to be not a single genuine house listed on RM in my search area in the past 24 hours - odd, as usually there are half a dozen listed on both Sat and Sun each.

Is that going to queer RM figures upwards for my part of the World?

Couldn't we turn this on it's head. Setup an EA and put fairly low priced listings on? :lol:

Is that going to queer RM figures upwards for my part of the World?

With low volumes, and a listing at £800Mill, I would guess so... but I am not sure how RM calculate their averages.

Edited by the.ciscokid

With low volumes, and a listing at £800Mill, I would guess so... but I am not sure how RM calculate their averages.

I don't know whetherb to laugh or cry. I am laughing but I think I am crying inside. :lol:

Is this just in the Swansea area or has anyone noticed it elsewhere in their areas? I know one of the local EA chains had a computer update a few weeks back and, over a period of about 2 weeks, they re-uploaded all their listings to RM...

Very odd that the actual Swansea roads listed exist but the prices, descriptions and the EA chain is completely wrong.

I don't know whetherb to laugh or cry. I am laughing but I think I am crying inside. :lol:

Is this just in the Swansea area or has anyone noticed it elsewhere in their areas? I know one of the local EA chains had a computer update a few weeks back and, over a period of about 2 weeks, they re-uploaded all their listings to RM...

Very odd that the actual Swansea roads listed exist but the prices, descriptions and the EA chain is completely wrong.

The hell?! :blink:

This is some seriously effed up sh!t. Someone's getting the boot on Monday morning, LOL.

If you do a search in Hull, a bunch of properties have also been put on Rightmove by the same agent, but they appear to have been published with the correct descriptions.

Ballards, the agent in question, is based in Marlow, Buckinghamshire. That's not close to Swansea or Hull.

The plot thickens...

If you do a search in Hull, a bunch of properties have also been put on Rightmove by the same agent, but they appear to have been published with the correct descriptions.

Ballards, the agent in question, is based in Marlow, Buckinghamshire. That's not close to Swansea or Hull.

The plot thickens...

Also shows up if you do a search within 10 miles of Eastbourne, the same agent, with loads of properties but no pics. The descriptions look vaguely sensible, though.

Hmm, if the descriptions are correct or at least sensible in Hull and Eastbourne why are they the way they are for the ones listed as being in Swansea?

Does not look like a mistaken upload of test data now does it as surely the data would be the same?

Are there any other legit houses uploaded in Eastbourne or Hull in the past 24 hours? I am just wondering whether someone has hacked in and changed the prices, descriptions of legit for sale houses... but then why all listed with that EA firm in Marlow?

Curiouser and curiouser.

It's just the agent that's been hacked isn't it?

The Ballards collection

Looks that way - odd as to why ever the presumed hacker would suddenly begin listing properties in places as diverse as Swansea, Hull, Eastbourne, presumbly elsewhere also perhaps?

With such ludicrous asking prices on RM now I would imagine they will be peeved if they cannot remove this weekend's data from their monthly, quarterly an YOY figures.

This one appears to have a nice description (it does appear to be those in Swansea area that have the most interesting descriptions).

My link

Edit to add: Have rightmove paid their corporation tax? :rolleyes:

Oddly enough, a neighbour of mine is selling a house in that road for 51K less :blink:

The powers that be will probably blame property bee and / or property snake and use it as a reason to have them banned. :ph34r:

More likely to be a Ballards employee with a grudge and some programming experience. Either that or it's a glitch in the matrix and Injin's being unplugged as we write.

More likely to be a Ballards employee with a grudge and some programming experience.

If you are right then there is still the question of why chose areas as diverse as S'sea, Hull, Eastbourne?

I wonder if real house data has been over-written as, presumably, few people in Marlow or wherever the person lives who did this would have personal knowledge of street names in S'sea, Hull, Eastbourne, etc?

As I said, it is odd that S'sea is showing no genuine listings at all in the past 24 hours?

Perhaps we will find out tomorrow. I can't afford 800 million for a house on Gower Road :unsure: