House Price Crash Forum
Pauly_Boy

News Britain Is Freezing To Death

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/215510

By Tracey Boles and Lucy Johnston

MIDDLE class families are among millions of Britons who cannot afford to heat their homes this winter, as elderly ride on buses all day to stay in the warm.

After a week of snow and freezing temperatures a shocking picture has emerged of the bleak months ahead for 5.5 million households.

Pensioners, who are among those most ­vulnerable to the cold, are resorting to ­extraordinary measures to keep warm.

Many have been using their free travel ­passes to spend the day riding on buses while others are seeking refuge from the cold in libraries and shopping centres.

Dot Gibson, spokeswoman for pressure group the National Pensioners’ Convention, said: “Now that we have one of the coldest winters, older people are going to have to make the unenviable decision whether or not to put the heating on. The Government should guarantee that they won’t cut the winter fuel allowance.”

The death toll from the big freeze rose to seven yesterday. They included two men who were killed in a crash on the M62 in Humberside and two teenage girls who died when their car collided with a Royal Mail van in Cumbria.

The winter death toll is set to rise steeply as official figures show that nine elderly people died every hour because of cold-related illnesses last year. The number of deaths linked to cold over the four months of last ­winter reached nearly 28,000.

Charities claim this country has the highest winter death rate in northern Europe, worse than colder nations such as Finland and Sweden.

About half of the people forced to spend over 10 per cent of their income on energy bills – the official definition of fuel poverty – are aged over 60.

But working families also face a tough time meeting the cost of keeping the central heating turned on as fuel prices continue to rise.

Ann Robinson, director of ­consumer policy at price ­comparison service uswitch.com, said: “Middle-class households are now in fuel poverty.”

­National Energy Action estimates that 5.5 million households will have plunged into fuel poverty by early next year due to price rises.

This is up 400,000 on the group’s last estimate and represents 21 per cent of the UK’s 26 million households.

The last official figures, for 2008, showed there were 4.5 million fuel-poor households in the UK. On Friday, British Gas will raise prices for eight million customers. Millions more customers of Scottish & Southern Energy and ­ScottishPower have already been hit by price rises.

Last winter 70 per cent of household were forced to cut down or ration their energy use because of cost.

Uswitch’s Ms Robinson, who advised Tony Blair’s government on energy policy, warned: “Winter price hikes will simply force even more people down this route.”

Energy minister Greg Barker admitted last week that the system to deal with fuel poverty was “completely broken” and said he was “very worried” by the NEA figures.

Charity Age UK estimates that nearly a third of pensioners have resorted to extreme measures to keep warm. The National Pensioners’ Convention has described the situation as “Dickensian”.

Widow Rita Young, from Thorny, near Peterborough was struggling to stay warm last week. Mrs Young, 75, said: “I’ve worked all my life. It doesn’t feel fair.

“People my age don’t want to put hats and scarves on in their homes, but there’s nothing we can do about it. I sit in a blanket put on a hat and sometimes go to bed at 7.30 in the evening.”

Last week Lillian Jenkinson, 80, and William Wilson, 84, were found dead in the gardens of their homes 70 miles apart in Cumbria. Both are thought to have lain ­undetected in sub-zero temperatures for hours.

On Thursday a driver who stopped to help a stranded motorist in the Yorkshire Dales was killed when he was struck by another vehicle.

Can we expect to see more houses coming on the market in the new year from the recently deceased, I'm not sure if I've seen a flood of properties in recent years? I know that's a rather mean thing to say as this is the war generation who are suffering, perhaps they should adjust the winter fuel allowance so it's only paid to those older than 65 and means test it so the minted boomers don't get it.

I notice that the express doesn't even mention tthe cold weather payment ...

How much do you get?

You will get £25 for each seven day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.

‘Very cold weather’

Payments will be made when the average temperature for where you live is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees Celsius or below over seven consecutive days.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018668

And the winter fuel allowance goes upto £400, stone me! This has to be reformed, how on earth can we afford this, especially when there are going to be more and more pensioners!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Benefits/BenefitsInRetirement/DG_10018657

Edited by Pauly_Boy

Your post is vile mate. These are peoples parents, friends and grandparents you are talking about.

People who have worked all their lives shouldn't be paying any bills at all. They have done their bit and it's our job to pay for it as a matter of respect.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/215510

Now, will the yearly cull of old people lower house prices? I know that's a rather mean thing to say as this is the war generation who are suffering, perhaps they should adjust the winter fuel allowance so it's only paid to those older than 65 and means test it so the minted boomers don't get it.

I notice that the express doesn't even mention tthe cold weather payment ...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018668

And the winter fuel allowance goes upto £400, stone me! This has to be reformed, how on earth can we afford this, especially when there are going to be more and more pensioners!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Benefits/BenefitsInRetirement/DG_10018657

how completely fcked up is the uk when coming off the back of the biggest boom in history people are dying due to not having heating in a first world country, its such a colossal pointer to the complete ineptitude of govt, someone really needs to go guy fawkes on the houses of parliament and do it right this time its a symbol of complete and utter failure and as for the middle class in fuel poverty, what sort of knobended definition are they using for middle class because its clearly not the one i would use

Edit this really annoys me more than most things, theres just no need for it given the wealth that has been generated and then pissed up the wall in the uk , the last 30 years

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Afraid to say but this is more a problem of very heat inefficient heating systems and a lack of proper insulation in British homes which makes heating them incredibly expensive. It's freezing cold outside and I'm sitting in my apartment in shorts and a t-shirt without any central heating but my apartment has under floor heating which isn't supposed to be as good ;)

There are probably so many central heating systems in British homes where the pipes themselves are barely insulated (if at all) so half the heat is lost before it reaches the radiators, escaping through the cavity and out of the house.

Your post is vile mate. These are peoples parents, friends and grandparents you are talking about.

People who have worked all their lives shouldn't be paying any bills at all. They have done their bit and it's our job to pay for it as a matter of respect.

I take it you agree with the Winter Fuel Payment being made available to multi-millionaires?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=516838&in_page_id=2

What? If they dont pay them, who is going to magically pay them? If their life is so bad and cold, sell up and move to somewhere warm like Spain.

The reason we are in such a mess is because of just your sort of communist thinking becoming policy. I dont want to be working to pay for those who didnt bother to save, or worse still those who never even worked.

If you are so upset by this, YOU PAY FOR THEM!

I doubt Fred Goodwin and his chums worry too much about their heating bills.

Got to keep the banksters warm and snuggly at night.

edit: cold fingers

Edited by Red Karma

I am saddened that this is happening at the extremes, but how many others are sitting by themselves in huge 4 bedders worth >£300k freezing to death because they can't afford to heat it.

SELL THE F'ING THING AND DOWNSIZE.

Afraid to say but this is more a problem of very heat inefficient heating systems and a lack of proper insulation in British homes which makes heating them incredibly expensive. It's freezing cold outside and I'm sitting in my apartment in shorts and a t-shirt without any central heating but my apartment has under floor heating which isn't supposed to be as good ;)

There are probably so many central heating systems in British homes where the pipes themselves are barely insulated (if at all) so half the heat is lost before it reaches the radiators, escaping through the cavity and out of the house.

Agree entirely with this. As we're likely to see more of these type of winters the investment should be going into making housing more appropriate for the conditions. It'll help our 'energy crisis' too.

It could be argued, and please note I'm not arguing this (as such), but it could be argued that people who have "worked all their life" and find themselves in poverty in retirement have't done very well for themselves. You might question their productivity and achievement while they were "working all their lives". Just because they've reached a certain age doesn't mean they're suddently entitled to our admiration and self-sacrifice for their benefit. That might be considered yet another tax from the productive to the (in some cases) feckless underachievers. Might it not?

What? If they dont pay them, who is going to magically pay them? If their life is so bad and cold, sell up and move to somewhere warm like Spain.

The reason we are in such a mess is because of just your sort of communist thinking becoming policy. I dont want to be working to pay for those who didnt bother to save, or worse still those who never even worked.

If you are so upset by this, YOU PAY FOR THEM!

that's the rouble with the internet, it lets no-neck, selfish gits like this have an opportunity to sit on their **** at home and pontificate about the world. some of the comments on this site are bloody deplorable... the very idea that the possible death of old folk should be a discussion point on hpc is just plain wrong. it's not funny or ironic or 'just' objectivity. we have plenty of money in this country (we're supposed to be the fourth richest, f'christ's sake) but talking about death as a financial opportunity is just plain wrong.

EDITOR: where's your responsibility to uphold a level of integrity in the editorial and how is this discussion point any better than asking for views on a cull of pensioners to create some movement in property prices?

I am saddened that this is happening at the extremes, but how many others are sitting by themselves in huge 4 bedders worth >£300k freezing to death because they can't afford to heat it.

SELL THE F'ING THING AND DOWNSIZE.

Agree with you 100%.

I don't have much sympathy for people who insist on holding on to what is a family house, letting it going to rack and ruin. They'll always say, "but I raised my family here" or "it has such memories that I can't bare to sell", but all they are really doing is denying someone else that opportunity.

someone really needs to go guy fawkes on the houses of parliament and do it right this time its a symbol of complete and utter failure

+1

This page is a prime example of 'divide and conquer'.

The Government is to blame here. No Other. [Mainly incompetent Labour Party bastards]

For 13 years we have seen rising extortionate Utility Bills.

And only within the last few weeks have we seen the Government begin an investigation into the massive profits made by various utility companies.

How do British Gas factor deaths into their corporate profits? Deaths, as a direct result of their price increases this winter?

Who holds them accountable?

British Gas made £595m in the first half of 2010, some 98% more than the same six-month period in 2009.

Yet just the year before, in 2009 Operating profits at British Gas jumped by 58% to set another record high.

This was a jump from £376 million the year before. [2008]

The previous record of £573m was set in 2007 [despite a 7 per cent drop in gas consumption]

The Government have allowed this to continue for way too long.

The average British Gas dual fuel bill (including gas and electricity) now totals £1,158.

Freeze Profits, not Pensioners.

Simon Hughes, the Liberal Democrat Shadow Energy and Climate Change spokesman, said: "These massive profits show that the energy companies are out of control and their regulator is out of action."The six big beasts of the energy jungle must be tamed immediately – to stop their predatory activities which are so dangerous to the public."
Edited by Dan1

Last winter 70 per cent of household were forced to cut down or ration their energy use because of cost.

So what....?

We need to get real. I dont feel sorry for anyone whos maxed out by buying the biggest house they can and now cry about heating bils.........and lets not forget the council tax :angry: B)

My grandad is 88, lives alone, on state pension with little savings.

His house is like a sauna year round.

What are these other pensioners spending their money on?

How many homes use electric heating systems, mostly flats and maisonettes but it is useless. Been looking at new builds also, ok the heat retention is better but they still use electric heating systems still,why? it should be banned as a form of heating.

Edited by neil324

McCarty and Stone are doing a great job round here (a family business) building quality retirement flats with light airy, communal spaces and lobbies. We need more, and if I were 65-70, I'd have no problem selling my family home (when I get one), and moving in.

We come to earth with nothing and leave with nothing.

How many homes use electric heating systems, mostly flats and maisonettes but it is useless. Been looking at new builds also, ok the heat retention is better but they still use electric heating systems still,why? it should be banned as a form of heating.

Because installing a gas pipe line costs money, compared to a fat electrical cable. Where I work everything is powered by electricity about 70 electric heaters. I had to go to the storage area the other day. The electricity meter spins round so fast its a black blur from the black painted notch.

I dont think the concept of free everything once you reach old age is practicle. the problem is many have gone through their lives pissing their money away on things as only we in the west know how. And they have not saved anything. I would think those that are not freezing to death have saved to improve their living standard in old age. With the free money available to older people there is no reason to freeze. The cold weather payments are not supposed to pay all your fuel bills. These days many are starting to see them as free govt payed bills. Most of the rest of the world gets by on what money they have saved. As many on here say, if you cannot heat it, then sell it. I know i shall. This just boils down to not saving for the future, and expecting the rest of society to pick up the bill. Just like taxpayer funded old peoples homes.

I have gas at the moment. It's shit. I don't understand why we still use this Victorian technological relic to heat our homes. The gas should be used to fuel power stations.

Heat pumps, stoves, woodchip burners...there are plenty of better options than rotten dinosaur farts.

Frankly, though, from a purely objective point of view, a winter cull of the old and unproductive may help society in t he long run.

Where has the thread labeled "News Britain Is Freezing To Death" vanished too, is this HPC censorship in action because as far as I can tell it's not been merged and my post isn't even listed against my account anymore, it's like it's simply been deleted!

The link was ..

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=155664

When I go there now I get the message "[#10344] You do not have permission to view this topic. "

thread.JPG

thread2.JPG

post-20846-0-02251000-1291547930_thumb.jpg

post-20846-0-90189400-1291548184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pauly_Boy

Where has the thread labeled "News Britain Is Freezing To Death" vanished too, is this HPC censorship in action because as far as I can tell it's not been merged and my post isn't even listed against my account anymore, it's like it's simply been deleted!

The link was ..

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=155664

When I go there now I get the message "[#10344] You do not have permission to view this topic. "

I saw the post although I didn't go into it, a short time ago. I can't find it either on the main forum or on the off topic forum. Strange.