House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dead Spider

Online Supermarket Shopping

Greetings ,

I recently ordered a load of grub from a large supermarket .

I received the confirmation email stating total delivery cost and individual line prices etc .

The following day I went back to the order to add items and they'd increased the price on 1 item I'd ordered by 9.75% .

Today I went in to add stuff and they'd increased the price on a further 2 items I'd ordered by 11.11% and 18.35% .

Anyone ever had this before as it's the first time it's happened to me after 3 years using the same supermarket .

I don't know what the total price will be as they could theoretically charge me any price even though they've previously confirmed all costs in writing .

I hope that makes sense . The helpdesk didn't understand .

Yet surely , as the prices have been agreed by myself , by ordering , and the supermarket , by confirming in writing their agreement to supply at said price , they cannot break a written contract to supply at the given price (there is only a clause relating to weighed goods which is understandable) .

Yet they have altered the contract . We're talking buggerall money here but it could be larger , who knows , not I .

Yes I know , don't call you Shirley :-)

Yet surely , as the prices have been agreed by myself , by ordering , and the supermarket , by confirming in writing their agreement to supply at said price , they cannot break a written contract to supply at the given price (there is only a clause relating to weighed goods which is understandable) .

Yet they have altered the contract . We're talking buggerall money here but it could be larger , who knows , not I .

Erm this is a big corporation we're talking about here laws rules etc don't apply to them, only the peasants.

This is the trick, in the terms and conditions it states that the price charged is the price at the time of delivery.

It seems a bit perverse to me that the 'contract' price is not the price you may pay.

It's actually stressful if you think about it - the uncertainty.

You have the right to refuse the delivery if you are not happy that the price has changed, how many do/would?

Surely you altered the contract too - by adding more items, which allows them to reprice everything.

This is the trick, in the terms and conditions it states that the price charged is the price at the time of delivery.

It seems a bit perverse to me that the 'contract' price is not the price you may pay.

It's actually stressful if you think about it - the uncertainty.

You have the right to refuse the delivery if you are not happy that the price has changed, how many do/would?

Me-thinks this time I will be keeping the driver here for ages as I check the prices against those quoted in the final email .

Oh the defaults they will pay to the next customers of the day for late delivery .

Surely you altered the contract too - by adding more items, which allows them to reprice everything.

Interesting concept .

Have you ever seen that before ?

I've seen "economies of scale" employed in contracts whereby prices are reduced by increasing the contract value , but never seen the price going up .

Edit to add: There is nothing in the contract that I can see which states increasing the contract value by adding items can result in the price of individual items being increased .

I've been ordering from Tesco for the past few years and haven't had this happen. The worst thing was when they were suddenly out of stock of something like value tuna tins and then they brought 20 of a label that cost 3 times as much. Thankfully, they have changed this now so that any substitutes won't cost more than what you ordered.

The only thing that annoys me now is that many of the offers expire the day before delivery.

Online shopping is great for bulk items. I once went into the Tesco that delivers to me and I was shocked by the state of my fellow consumers, I mean citizens. They were all bloated and hideous. Now if I need something urgent I only go into Waitrose. At least there are a few MILFs in the place. I can only imagine what the inside of an Iceland looks like...

Interesting concept .

Have you ever seen that before ?

I've seen "economies of scale" employed in contracts whereby prices are reduced by increasing the contract value , but never seen the price going up .

Edit to add: There is nothing in the contract that I can see which states increasing the contract value by adding items can result in the price of individual items being increased .

Sorry you miss my point. You complained that they altered the contract - but you altered it first in this case.

Actually though I think tinker is right. Looking at the one I use the T&Cs say that the price on the website is an estimate and that the price you pay will be what it cost when they put it through the till prior to delivery.

Sorry you miss my point. You complained that they altered the contract - but you altered it first in this case.

Um , no I didn't actually . I didn't complain they had altered the contract (where did you get that from ?) .

They have altered the prices in the contract .

I agreed to the prices in the contract , the contract being I could alter the number of items being ordered ie add to the order with further items , multiplie or addendum .

They agreed to them in writing , only to be altered if the weights of the delivered items were not in accordance with their estimates (which is what I agreed when signing up with the supermarket) .

Um , no I didn't actually . I didn't complain they had altered the contract (where did you get that from ?) .

From here:

...Yet they have altered the contract...

They have altered the prices in the contract .

I agreed to the prices in the contract , the contract being I could alter the number of items being ordered ie add to the order with further items , multiplie or addendum .

They agreed to them in writing , only to be altered if the weights of the delivered items were not in accordance with their estimates (which is what I agreed when signing up with the supermarket) .

If that's what you agreed then you should complain. As I said, when I checked the T&Cs for my particular supermarket of choice - I found tinker's point that the online price is only an estimate to be clearly mentioned.

I set my mum up with Asda online shopping only the other day.

Once I showed her how to add things to her trolley, she spent and hour and a half (don't know how) adding her regular shop, come to £74 and a few pennies.

Was delivered yesterday half an hour late, with all the frozen stuff missing and no muffins either.

Phoned up, no offer to send them again, just a refund of said items and a free delivery voucher for next time. Refund can take upto 10 days.

Oh and the final paper bill was £4 more than the online bill when she paid.

Whats wrong with ASDA online grocery shopping? Price should be FINAL (Do they not tell you an offer is going to end before the delivery?), the website is hard to navigate too.

All this and the store is only a 10 minute walk away :rolleyes:

Whats wrong with ASDA online grocery shopping?

Having used Tesco I now realise how awful Asda is.

3 times I had them phone up asking me to collect my shopping as they couldn't deliver. They didn't take too much persuading to turn up fortunately.

They have no option to suggest substitutes yet with Tesco you can choose whether to substitute and even give suggestions to your picker of what else they could select. The only upside is the price matching on substitutions, IF they bother to make one.

Mass produced Champagne vines are grown on rubbish-tips from the 70's & 80's riddled with Pcb's/heavy metals!

Don't do it!