House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Cash Machines Are Running Out Of Money Due To Snow

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/8166037/Cash-machines-are-running-out-of-money-due-to-snow.html

The heaviest snowfall for 20 years means security vans carrying cash are being prevented from making deliveries to their regular destinations.

High street bank HSBC confirmed yesterday that snow was causing problems for some of its drivers.

It reported that 7 per cent of its cash machines were closed yesterday and that if levels dropped any further, it would be reach “unacceptable levels”.

It had a total of 93 per cent of its 3,500 ATMs open yesterday, 2 per cent lower than normal, with some closures blamed on the bad weather.

Barclays said more branches than usual had been forced to close this week, with numbers reaching up to 60 out of its total network of almost 1700.

Quick everyone panic before the country runs out of money.........

I have been removing cash for three months now but I still have around £40,000 in my FlexAccount. I enquired about withdrawing it en bloc from a local branch and the bottom line is the Nationwide will not give it to me in cash, they will give me £5,000 in cash but the rest I can only withdraw as a cheque.

Errr, why?

I have been removing cash for three months now but I still have around £40,000 in my FlexAccount. I enquired about withdrawing it en bloc from a local branch and the bottom line is the Nationwide will not give it to me in cash, they will give me £5,000 in cash but the rest I can only withdraw as a cheque.

Errr, why?

I can help you with that. All I require are your bank account details; it is entirely legitimate:

5F5C19BB-A6ED-4F31-BE34-BA6A137274E4_extra.jpg

Good job I've been taking £300 a day out of the ATM for the last three months then ;)

Wouldn't it have been easier to have asked the bank to have £30K ready for you to pick up? No problem if you give them a few days notice.

Errr, why?

Can you not get the 5k, then ask for another 5k the next day?

Wouldn't it have been easier to have asked the bank to have £30K ready for you to pick up? No problem if you give them a few days notice.

No, that is what I am saying, the Nationwide will not allow me to withdraw my savings in cash.

Errr, why?

I'd have a huge row with them and I'm pretty sure I'd win.

Errr, why?

So the account isn't very flexible then?

So the account isn't very flexible then?

No, I accept that I am probably going to lose some, but I did manage to get most of the money out in time.

Whether that will help if the Government issue new banknotes is another matter.

I got my 20k in cash on friday + my wife savings too, wont say how much but it's all already in a safety dep box. I dont know why I did it cos I dont think that bank run on 7th dec will do any harm...but I still did it. Was it my consciousness?:unsure:

What percentage of the general UK public do you think have any idea about the 7th December idea?

Obviously the next questions have to be how many people either have any money to withdraw and can be bothered when X Factor is on, they have to think about the bigger picture and get off their **** etc :blink:

Personally I can't see it making much impact in the UK as it's only the people on here and some other forums where people are economically literate and have already been converting fiat money into commodities that might be bothered.

What percentage of the general UK public do you think have any idea about the 7th December idea?

Obviously the next questions have to be how many people either have any money to withdraw and can be bothered when X Factor is on, they have to think about the bigger picture and get off their **** etc :blink:

Personally I can't see it making much impact in the UK as it's only the people on here and some other forums where people are economically literate and have already been converting fiat money into commodities that might be bothered.

Well, most people know who Cantona is. I know nothing about football, but I have been spreading the word by name dropping him. Probably to little effect, but you never know.

Well, most people know who Cantona is. I know nothing about football, but I have been spreading the word by name dropping him. Probably to little effect, but you never know.

Unfortunately even if Joe Blogss gets wind of this the more I think about it the more I think the powers that be / banks will just make people use cards for X days whilst they restock machines once things calm down so it will have no effect

Unfortunately even if Joe Blogss gets wind of this the more I think about it the more I think the powers that be / banks will just make people use cards for X days whilst they restock machines once things calm down so it will have no effect

I can already see the government using the excuse of the machines running low on cash to justify a cashless society. :angry:

I can already see the government using the excuse of the machines running low on cash to justify a cashless society. :angry:

Haha yes it would save them even having to bother to print some new cash when the next quantitative easing comes around :P

Take it from me, it will have NO EFFECT.

+1

I said the same at the beginning of this. When cash machines run dry they will switch off. When bank branches run out of what little physical paper they hold on site then they will close for the day. Most branches do not hold a lot of cash which is why you have to give them notice if you wish to withdraw large amounts.

+1

I said the same at the beginning of this. When cash machines run dry they will switch off. When bank branches run out of what little physical paper they hold on site then they will close for the day. Most branches do not hold a lot of cash which is why you have to give them notice if you wish to withdraw large amounts.

Indeed. Most of the cash in a bank is in the cash machines. :lol:

You can't cause a 'bank run' by emptying cash machines any more than you can bring Shell to its knees by letting your car run out of petrol.