House Price Crash Forum

"not A Recession But A Mid-cycle Dip"

El_Pirata

HOLA441

http://news.independent.co.uk/business/com...ticle312753.ece

I'm not sure if a quite follow his logic here. He highlights all the factors that point to a big crunch - oil prices, debt, falling house prices, rising unemployent, budget deficits, US trade deficit.

But then he says everything must be ok actually because share prices are holding up.

Curious.

Also he says that there might be some relief from lower oil prices, but does not say why they might fall. Personally I see crude futures in the low 60s as a great buy as I believe that once the IEA stops releasing reserves and starts rebuilding them, we'll be back on the steady path upwards again.

I guess in the end people prefer a bit of mild optimism with their cornflakes rather than doom and gloom (except Daily Mail readers).

HOLA442
http://news.independent.co.uk/business/com...ticle312753.ece

I'm not sure if a quite follow his logic here. He highlights all the factors that point to a big crunch - oil prices, debt, falling house prices, rising unemployent, budget deficits, US trade deficit.

But then he says everything must be ok actually because share prices are holding up.

Curious.

Also he says that there might be some relief from lower oil prices, but does not say why they might fall. Personally I see crude futures in the low 60s as a great buy as I believe that once the IEA stops releasing reserves and starts rebuilding them, we'll be back on the steady path upwards again.

I guess in the end people prefer a bit of mild optimism with their cornflakes rather than doom and gloom (except Daily Mail readers).

Crude is up $2 today at $65 and there could be much more to come, this one is not over yet. The DOW fell yesterday on lower than expected US crude reserves, I think we could be back over $70 soon as people start to see through the spin :ph34r:

HOLA443
Crude is up $2 today at $65 and there could be much more to come, this one is not over yet. The DOW fell yesterday on lower than expected US crude reserves, I think we could be back over $70 soon as people start to see through the spin :ph34r:

Agreed. The oil products market (my area of knowledge) looks remarkably well-supplied at the moment following the IEA stock release, but I've seen in the recent past how this situation can reverse itself very quickly. We're going into refinery maintenance season for a start. Plus at some point the Chinese will have to come out and make some big purchases en-masse, as is their habit.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Look at the top 5 best performing shares today on the FTSE:

BOC Group

International Power

Royal Dutch Shell 'B' Ord Eur0.07

Royal Dutch Shell 'A' Ord EUR0.07 (WI)

Rio Tinto

Look at the bottom 5

Kingfisher

Next

Smith & Nephew

Compass Group

Morrison (Wm) Supermarkets

3 of the top 5 are in the oil business

3 of the top 5 are in retail

Says a lot that does I think...

HOLA4415
Look at the top 5 best performing shares today on the FTSE:

BOC Group

International Power

Royal Dutch Shell 'B' Ord Eur0.07

Royal Dutch Shell 'A' Ord EUR0.07 (WI)

Rio Tinto

Look at the bottom 5

Kingfisher

Next

Smith & Nephew

Compass Group

Morrison (Wm) Supermarkets

3 of the top 5 are in the oil business

3 of the top 5 are in retail

Says a lot that does I think...

And Rio Tinto are miners - also enjoying the commodities boom

While BOC are involved in industrial gases

Note that these top 5 companies make most of their money abroad. Without the revenues that they bring back into the UK, how would our economy be faring?

What if they decided to up-sticks?