House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarman001

Middle-Class Mum Bleating

Taken from the front page:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1335550/Merry-Christmas-Along-millions-middle-class-families-I-afford-says-CHARLOTTE-METCALF.html

IS this some sort of joke? I despair... Stuck up tw@ts - their time is up. If I EVER make money like that I will always make sure to keep a level head on my shoulders.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1335550/Merry-Christmas-Along-millions-middle-class-families-I-afford-says-CHARLOTTE-METCALF.html

IS this some sort of joke? I despair... Stuck up tw@ts - their time is up. If I EVER make money like that I will always make sure to keep a level head on my shoulders.

She should get down to Primark in Hammersmith. They've got everything she needs.

That's what everybody else does. Ain't no big deal.

And the reason for her "poverty"?

So how did this happen? Put simply, my partner and I started a new business four years ago, and we borrowed and borrowed and bought a country house alongside the two we owned between us in London.

We practically rebuilt it while I fussed over the kitchen, oohing and aahing over Farrow & Ball paint and butler sinks. We moved to the Cotswolds and I even bought another cottage as an ‘investment’.

When the recession hit, we realised the value of our properties had slumped and we were largely in negative equity. We had to rearrange our lives totally.

No sympathy, love.

It's a clear case of addressing error.

The person who wrote the article intended to send it to the Daily Mash, and it ended up at the Daily Mail instead. Easy mistake to make.

She calls herself newly poor going from living on £1200 pw to £500 pw...personally I find that very insulting...totally and utterly spoilt imo. ;)

The Mail print this sort of stuff because readers love it. They love getting all righteously outraged and they love a bit of Schadenfreude (don't we all ;) ).

It's very similar to Liz Jones' 'broke' columns about how she can no longer afford the bare essentials of life, like organic chicken breasts for her cats or £50 candles for the bathroom.

Assuming it's not some weird double-bluff troll, in the main I lost interest when she said she bought a cottage and whatever as an investment by borrowing loads, when I would have had more respect for her if she said "During the boom years, I selfishly used my position to deny someone in the country yet another property".

The only point in the article I agreed with was the general one running through it about inflation. I really am noticing this this year not because of any change in circumstances, which is why the author might be, but because you can't seem to buy anything today for less than £10. Sandwiches in a shop are almost £5 for instance. The inflation in consumer products is getting beyond a friggin' joke in this country and is clearly being aided by a deliberate BOE policy.

Assuming it's not some weird double-bluff troll, in the main I lost interest when she said she bought a cottage and whatever as an investment by borrowing loads, when I would have had more respect for her if she said "During the boom years, I selfishly used my position to deny someone in the country yet another property".

The only point in the article I agreed with was the general one running through it about inflation. I really am noticing this this year not because of any change in circumstances, which is why the author might be, but because you can't seem to buy anything today for less than £10. Sandwiches in a shop are almost £5 for instance. The inflation in consumer products is getting beyond a friggin' joke in this country and is clearly being aided by a deliberate BOE policy.

You are the ideal candidate to try to reduce your inflation rate by learning and putting into practice new ways of doing things without putting in too much effort on your part.....

First....do not buy sandwiches for £5, you can buy five loaves of bread for that, buy quality ingredients and make them up before you go to work, when you get there put them in the fridge until needed.....they taste better too. ;)

Edit: my idea to the ideal idea.

It's very similar to Liz Jones' 'broke' columns about how she can no longer afford the bare essentials of life, like organic chicken breasts for her cats or £50 candles for the bathroom.

In a way I DO feel sorry for her.. she has fallen from wealthy to middle-income and lives in the middle of London.

To start with I couldn't understand why somebody on £24k could be having to buy clothes in charity shops and complaining that ASDA is too expensive. I expect if she moved up North she would be fine on that salary (mainly because of the lower rent).

I can't dislike her though.. she has a job, she makes an average income, she puts her kid first, she's not blaming anybody else, she is prepared to cut her cloth to match her income shopping in pound-land, Asda and charity shops.

She may not know what it is to be REALLY poor, but at least she is getting on with it and not asking the state for hand outs.

I say fair play to her.. I wish her and her kid the best of luck.

On a practical note, can she just not go on the "game"?

I know the mug's a bit doggo but she already has the kinky boots.

You'd have to be kinky to find those boots kinky.

In a way I DO feel sorry for her.. she has fallen from wealthy to middle-income and lives in the middle of London.

To start with I couldn't understand why somebody on £24k could be having to buy clothes in charity shops and complaining that ASDA is too expensive. I expect if she moved up North she would be fine on that salary (mainly because of the lower rent).

I can't dislike her though.. she has a job,

She doesn't have a job, she writes, same as we all do on HPC. We don't get paid for writing on HPC, good luck to her that she has found somebody willing to pay her in the past but the Gravy Train has departed now.

I think she should get a minimum wage job as a tollet cleaner- if she can- it would help her to put things in perspective.

Following in her footsteps, I used to buy ribbons from VV Rouleaux — now their price of £50 for velvet and silk ribbons seems truly shocking. Obscene, even. So I was thrilled to spot a six-pack of gold twine at Tesco for £2, and I’m hoping that will do the trick.

Of course, to some struggling to pay even basic household bills, this may all sound like another self-pitying whinge from someone who once had it all. But I guess the point is that still — despite the recession — many of us feel under more pressure than ever before to create a perfect Christmas.

****** sake. She is taking the piss.

She calls herself newly poor going from living on £1200 pw to £500 pw...personally I find that very insulting...totally and utterly spoilt imo. ;)

That's newly poor.

Just as I was newly rich when I made £7k in 2004, about £32/week after rent and council tax but before anything else. It's all relative to what went before.

Many of my friends are in quiet despair. One girlfriend told me that she’d planned to spend only £50 on her 15-year-old daughter and yet the same daughter is now asking for an iPad, which can cost more than eight times that.

Give the pampered bitch a slap to make her teeth rattle, that'll cost less than £50.

I hate kids and I hate Christmas.

Bahh, Humbug!

You are the ideal candidate to try to reduce your inflation rate by learning and putting into practice new ways of doing things without putting in too much effort on your part.....

First....do not buy sandwiches for £5, you can buy five loaves of bread for that, buy quality ingredients and make them up before you go to work, when you get there put them in the fridge until needed.....they taste better too. ;)

Edit: my idea to the ideal idea.

Good point and I have indeed been doing just this. Two trips to the Supermarket (Lidl for it's £1 for 4 pints/ 12p per can of diet coke etc.) and up the road to a different supermarket for fresher produce. Doesn't take too much extra effort and it pays off. Driving an extra mile to the different petrol station is now well worth it because of £122.9p!!!! per litre petrol at my old regular.

I'm not quite at two loaves of bread for shoe replacements yet but heading rapidly in that direction!

First....do not buy sandwiches for £5, you can buy five loaves of bread for that, buy quality ingredients and make them up before you go to work..

Fine, unless you happen to work in a sandwich shop.

“We of the sinking middle class may sink without further struggles into the working class where we belong, and probably when we get there it will not be so dreadful as we feared, for, after all, we have nothing to lose.”

George Orwell

Fine, unless you happen to work in a sandwich shop.

or own the sandwich shop.....in which case you would provide a better sandwich a better service and undercut the £5 sandwich next door....word spreads. ;)

The purpose of the article was to instill hate and envy, and it worked! :huh: