House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
singlemalt

Electoral Role Registration

Mods this is a bit off topic but please leave here for while.

Could someone please enlighten me.

The other day I'm sat in my rental property when there's a knock on the door. Some guy from the local polit bureau (council) with a clip board and pen in hand. He's putting people on the electoral role. I duly declined "no thanks, I'm already on the electoral role elsewhere (my parents house, to which I also have my mail sent) I want to be associated with this address as little as possible" (for obvious reasons, there's already been evictions in my apartment block etc).

He starts with the intimidatory tactics banging on about how it's the law that occupants be registered at the address they're living in, £1000 fine etc etc. I reasoned "so if I've got 5 properties like an MP or banker I can register myself at all of them and get 5 votes?". He looked confused then became quite hostile and withdrew saying "I'm not arguing with you" to which I said "nor I with you, I'm TELLING ya pal, now do one and don't slam the outside door!"

:angry:

Maybe a numpty question buts what's the score with renting and electoral role registration?

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/i-have-two-homes.-can-i-register-to-vote-at-both-addresses

It's an offence to vote more than once in an election (Wonder how many students crowing about having two votes on telly used them both?)

but you can be registered at many places if you live at them all.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/i-have-two-homes.-can-i-register-to-vote-at-both-addresses

It's an offence to vote more than once in an election (Wonder how many students crowing about having two votes on telly used them both?)

but you can be registered at many places if you live at them all.

Thank you for the link, now clarified.