House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Food Shelves Empty And Petrol Running Out As Icy Roads Make Deliveries Impossible...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335216/UK-snow-Overnight-temperatures-fall-20C-Britain-left-sheet-ice.html

Petrol forecourts were today running dry and food stores were struggling to replenish their shelves as icy conditions halted deliveries.

‘Critical’ shortages of petrol have been reported by the RMI Petrol Retailers Association, with remote areas being particularly badly affected.

Some fuel stations have also been accused of ‘cashing in’ on the crisis by increasing their prices – with one garage in Surrey putting up the cost of diesel per litre from £1.24 to £1.28 within the past four days.

Just 3 days of rather cold weather and we've already got panic buying, shelves empty and we are running out of petrol. Which of course will trigger even more panic buying especially when you factor in supplies can't get through.

Although I suspect that panic buying completely fooks up "just in time" which the accountants love.

We are due a proper winter with lots of snow, if this is what happens after 3 days just think how bad it would be if we had lots of snow and cold temperatures for weeks.

Schools shut due to health and safety numpties and also because if the school opens and lots of children don't make it then it gets a black mark in the Ofsted report so it's better to stay shut.

The UK is one seriously screwed country.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335216/UK-snow-Overnight-temperatures-fall-20C-Britain-left-sheet-ice.html

Just 3 days of rather cold weather and we've already got panic buying, shelves empty and we are running out of petrol. Which of course will trigger even more panic buying especially when you factor in supplies can't get through.

Although I suspect that panic buying completely fooks up "just in time" which the accountants love.

We are due a proper winter with lots of snow, if this is what happens after 3 days just think how bad it would be if we had lots of snow and cold temperatures for weeks.

Schools shut due to health and safety numpties and also because if the school opens and lots of children don't make it then it gets a black mark in the Ofsted report so it's better to stay shut.

The UK is one seriously screwed country.

I agree with the sentiment but parts of the country have had bad snow for over a week now so disruption is invitable. Here in Edinburgh for example some of the suburbs are still under 2foot+ of snow. No amount of planning could have dealt with it much better. We have not seen such prolonged and heavy snow for years.

There is a case to say that people should be better prepared however. a work collegue of mine almost ran out of food whilst at the same time was unble to get to the end of her street due to the depth of the snow, the forecast ws correct so people should have got more food in. I may be a 'tin foil hatter' but I always have enough food in for at least 2/3 weeks alot of it is not fancy but enough to keep me going for a while.

I agree with the sentiment but parts of the country have had bad snow for over a week now so disruption is invitable. Here in Edinburgh for example some of the suburbs are still under 2foot+ of snow. No amount of planning could have dealt with it much better. We have not seen such prolonged and heavy snow for years.

There is a case to say that people should be better prepared however. a work collegue of mine almost ran out of food whilst at the same time was unble to get to the end of her street due to the depth of the snow, the forecast ws correct so people should have got more food in. I may be a 'tin foil hatter' but I always have enough food in for at least 2/3 weeks alot of it is not fancy but enough to keep me going for a while.

Where I live we've only had deep snow since Tues night and in various local shops some ran out of bread due to panic.

I've got enough food in the cellar to last probably 3 weeks, always annoys the in laws that I keep such a large amount of food in for the family, however at times like this I'm quite relieved that I'm stocked up a bit.

I wonder if the local authorities have got any experience left of dealing with heavy and prolonged snow? I can imagine that snow ploughs will have been got rid off as they've hardly been used in most areas for years. If we don't have people in councils with experience of how to manage these situations I can imagine it's going to get an awful lot worse.

I can appreciate how difficult it is to get around in bad conditions but the whole country grinds to a halt, as so many rely on cars to get to work I bet a significant number of workers live more than a 1hr walk in the snow from work. In the past I'm certain most people will have lived close to work meaning very little time lost due to bad conditions now I imagine a large number of people will live 45 mins plus drive away from work, fine in good conditions but nightmare when it comes to heavy snow. If we get several days of heavy snow I can imagine that most councils will be overwhelmed and it will fall faster than they can clear the roads.

I just need to hear the phrase "no need to panic" and well, i loose it completely :o

(just off to fill up some jerry cans right now as it happens)

Edited by athom

I may be a 'tin foil hatter' but I always have enough food in for at least 2/3 weeks alot of it is not fancy but enough to keep me going for a while.

The pejorative term is just common-sense as far as I'm concerned.

Particularly in winter, always having enough basic food in for a 2-3 week stretch in case the weather turns bad is something I've always done, but the 'tin-foil' hat accusers seem to think it's an odd thing to do even though it costs about 5 quid to buy rice and pasta in bulk amounts.

Now buy quality potatoes maris piper in 25 kilo bags £6.50.

Have bags strong bread flour 45p a bag, always have dried yeast in cupboard (but not essential to making bread).

Rice can be bought in bulk good prices.

That's the carbohydrates sorted.

UHT skimmed milk in cartons as good if not better than fresh.

Value concentrated orange juice in cartons also keeps well.

Tea and coffee.

Tinned corn, beans, tomatoes, tuna, sardines.

Dried peas beans and lentils.

Just posted my rainy snowy day shopping list on HPC. ;)

I do like the picture of the 'Geordie lasses' dressing warm for their night out in the -15 degree weather

article-1335216-0C4F4353000005DC-258_634x436.jpg

A delightful winter scene. Such beauty on display, contrasted with the harsh elements attempting to melt their innocent rose of youth.

I remember when I lived in Newcastle it was regarded 'gay' to be seen to wear a coat. Nothing much has changed I see.

We have several weeks worth of food but thinking about it most is in the freezer. So a real nightmare would insue if we had more snow next week and a power cut for a few day. I think I will have to stock up on food that doesn't need freezing or cooking. This is not TFH thinking as it could easily happen.

Let it snow even more and let this be a lesson for those who believe that the world is a global village.

With 2 inches of snow the world is huge again.

Let it snow even more and let this be a lesson for those who believe that the world is a global village.

With 2 inches of snow the world is huge again.

Too right and 8 inches of snow and the shop 1 mile away is unreachable.

We have several weeks worth of food but thinking about it most is in the freezer. So a real nightmare would insue if we had more snow next week and a power cut for a few day. I think I will have to stock up on food that doesn't need freezing or cooking. This is not TFH thinking as it could easily happen.

D'oh, if the power supply is lost because of the cold weather don't you think you could store your freezer contents in the natural freezer?

I can appreciate how difficult it is to get around in bad conditions but the whole country grinds to a halt, as so many rely on cars to get to work I bet a significant number of workers live more than a 1hr walk in the snow from work. In the past I'm certain most people will have lived close to work meaning very little time lost due to bad conditions now I imagine a large number of people will live 45 mins plus drive away from work, fine in good conditions but nightmare when it comes to heavy snow. If we get several days of heavy snow I can imagine that most councils will be overwhelmed and it will fall faster than they can clear the roads.

That's the whole nub of the issue isn't it. Our whole way of life revolves around easy transport. If communities were more self sufficient then the disruption to transport wouldn't cause the problems it does. Even things like local schools, village schools are closed because it is more "efficient" to have fewer but larger schools. So a consequence is that pupils have further to travel to get to school. When I was a lad, we lived just under 3 miles from the school I attended. Not far enough for a bus pass so I had to walk. 30 - 40 minutes each way every day, not a great hardship then, but I wouldn't have been happy to let my children have to walk that far to school every day.

When I was a lad, we lived just under 3 miles from the school I attended. Not far enough for a bus pass so I had to walk. 30 - 40 minutes each way every day, not a great hardship then, but I wouldn't have been happy to let my children have to walk that far to school every day.

How did your parent feel about you walking 3 miles ?

Why can't your kids do it ?

This is a rhetorical question rather than a criticism.

There is a saying in Arabia, that I paraphrase....

"My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a bicycle. I ride a car. My children will ride a bicycle and their children will ride a camel"

We have lived through a golden age, are currently in a gilded age and many of us don't realise it is happening.

We have several weeks worth of food but thinking about it most is in the freezer. So a real nightmare would insue if we had more snow next week and a power cut for a few day.

I should warn everyone now, most freezers wont work if the room they are in is too cold.

If your freezer is in the garage, keep an eye on it.

I should warn everyone now, most freezers wont work if the room they are in is too cold.

If your freezer is in the garage, keep an eye on it.

Yep, ours went on strike last weekend.

Put your freezer outside. Problem solved.

Seriously though, we have one of those upright fridge/freezers in an unheated lean-to. They only have one compressor, and it is controlled by the temperature in the fridge. When it's cold, really cold, the compressor doesn't run, so the freezer is only at ambient temperature. Tricky when it's just above freezing, and not good when below.

Your scenario is a serious point. Have a look over at theoildrum at this thread about UK's natural gas supplies.

UK nat gas supplies, 2010