House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Man Invents Machine To Convert Plastic Into Oil

http://www.flixxy.com/convert-plastic-to-oil.htm

Sounds too good to be true.

The machine produced in various sizes, for both industrial and home uses, can easily transform a kilogram of plastic waste into a liter of oil, using about 1 kW·h of electricity but without emitting CO2 in the process. The machine uses a temperature controlling electric heater instead of flames, processing anything from polyethylene or polystyrene to polypropylene (numbers 2-4). Comment: 1 kg of plastic produces one liter of oil, which costs $1.50. This process uses only about 1 kW·h of electricity, which costs less than 20 cents!

See video at the link.

Are we saved?

Extended a little perhaps. But given that they use oil to make plastic, no not really, and to be honest if you have excess energy to use there are probably easier ways of synthesising oil.

http://www.flixxy.com/convert-plastic-to-oil.htm

Sounds too good to be true.

See video at the link.

1 barrel of oil is 160 litres, so I'll let you do the maths. All I'll say is that's one expensive barrel of oil at todays prices. Of course it depends what kind of oil comes out. If its light oil and has many practical uses then its worth comparitively more than some of the heavy stuff.

Also plastics aren't just full of simple hydrocarbons, they are full of plasticizers, crosslinking agents, dyes and fillers. What happens to these ?

1 barrel of oil is 160 litres, so I'll let you do the maths. All I'll say is that's one expensive barrel of oil at todays prices. Of course it depends what kind of oil comes out. If its light oil and has many practical uses then its worth comparitively more than some of the heavy stuff.

Also plastics aren't just full of simple hydrocarbons, they are full of plasticizers, crosslinking agents, dyes and fillers. What happens to these ?

Plastics can have all sorts of crud in them such as chlorine. If it's energy that's wanted then just burn the stuff in a high temp incinerator/power plant and remove the pollutants at source. Less lossy that way I'd have thought.

It does raise the point that good crude oil is so useful for manufacturing stuff that it's a damn shame we burn it to move 2.5 tonne cars on a school run, etc.

Is this a spoof? :unsure:

If it's not and it can be refined and genuinely used, I'd certainly buy into it! :)

It could have added benefits that, perhaps in the future, it would eventually take some of the Power away from the OPEC cartel.

I have no idea.

I was hoping someone on here would either confirms the science behind this works or is complete crap and made up.

I have no idea, perhaps they magically get filtered out?

I have no idea.

I was hoping someone on here would either confirms the science behind this works or is complete crap and made up.

Well, I'd been trying to refrain from posting on the assumption that it was, and the whole thread was an effort to see if someone would bite. If that's so then I'm guilty as charge, but considering where plastic comes from....