House Price Crash Forum

In the paper today, it said "Please look after your neighbours in the cold weather." Not once has my 87 year old neighbour come round to check if I'm alright! The lazy bitch hasn't even taken her milk in for 2 weeks!!!

OK, didn't write it myself, it's doing the rounds online today, no credits, but I get the feeling this originates from the font of brilliance that is VIZ.

In possibly the most morbid post for a while, and trying to keep things on topic, I do remember an eye-opening response from asking a friend who works in the pension industry whether things were quiet over the Christmas and New Year period. He said the colder it got, the more work they had administering the closure of accounts of older folk who were perishing in the cold weather.

We often say on this forum that the three Ds ensure there is always a supply of property coming to the market. Is this weather one of the most tragic ways of increasing the supply of houses coming to market?

Sorry if this is a cold-hearted analysis! I am not willing OAPs to freeze to death but just thought I would raise this for discussion.

In possibly the most morbid post for a while, and trying to keep things on topic, I do remember an eye-opening response from asking a friend who works in the pension industry whether things were quiet over the Christmas and New Year period. He said the colder it got, the more work they had administering the closure of accounts of older folk who were perishing in the cold weather.

We often say on this forum that the three Ds ensure there is always a supply of property coming to the market. Is this weather one of the most tragic ways of increasing the supply of houses coming to market?

Sorry if this is a cold-hearted analysis! I am not willing OAPs to freeze to death but just thought I would raise this for discussion.

One of the most shocking aspect of government policy is to allow OAPs in the UK to perish from the cold whilst at the same time allocating hundreds of millions of pounds to help 'impoverished' nations such as China and India.

One thing the BNP has been very vocal on and yet seemingly people would rather see British pensioners suffering rather than foreigners.

Bl00dy hell interestrateripoff, I followed this and then ended up trawling the Daily Mail website for the next 50 minutes! Don't agree with their politics, but there is something very moreish about their headlines and articles!

Edited by General Congreve

Nature's euthanasia. Of course, if those older folk live in a care home, it will still feel like a tropical greenhouse inside, however freezing it is outside.

Add in flu jabs and it's no wonder so many of them live for years past their sell-by dates, even when they're completely b*ggered with Alz. or anything else. When they're not a bit happy, constantly fretting (when they're not comatose) have lost whatever dignity they once possessed and get very little pleasure out of anything any more.

I don't mind adding that if I thought I had a dose of flu on the way, and I didn't know my mother had had a flu jab, I would probably visit her on purpose to pass it on.

It breaks my heart to see her as she is now. If she were reasonably contented I wouldn't mind, but she's anything but. :(

Every time I've been recently she's told me she wants to go home to her parents. (she's 91) And that's the least of it.

But I am glad they keep it so warm for them.

One of the most shocking aspect of government policy is to allow OAPs in the UK to perish from the cold whilst at the same time allocating hundreds of millions of pounds to help 'impoverished' nations such as China and India.

One thing the BNP has been very vocal on and yet seemingly people would rather see British pensioners suffering rather than foreigners.

Sorry but I disagree. Many people do this to themselves. They sit in big poorly insulated houses for 30 or 40 years with no thought of what will happen to them in later years then when they're 80 years old, incontinent and half senile they freeze to death in winter. You've also got to wonder what kind of person they were in life not to have any family or friends that might look out for them now.

The government does enough already, winter fuel payments. Imo they should be doing less not more.

My Mum has already said that when she retires she's selling up and moving into a small sheltered accomodation flat or coming to live with me in a granny flat. More people should follow this example and take responsibility for themselves.

Brilliant, they even posted the original audio! :lol:

The force said the woman, from Chatham...

That just reinforces the notion that the origin of the word "Chav" is "Chatham average".

As others have also mentioned. I'm not sure that throwing more money at this problem is going to solve this tragic problem.

I work for an international charity, so I think we're going to disagree here!

Edited by rantnrave

Sorry but I disagree. Many people do this to themselves. They sit in big poorly insulated houses for 30 or 40 years with no thought of what will happen to them in later years then when they're 80 years old, incontinent and half senile they freeze to death in winter. You've also got to wonder what kind of person they were in life not to have any family or friends that might look out for them now.

The government does enough already, winter fuel payments. Imo they should be doing less not more.

My Mum has already said that when she retires she's selling up and moving into a small sheltered accomodation flat or coming to live with me in a granny flat. More people should follow this example and take responsibility for themselves.

The government is the answer to everything. They should be dishing out free heating payments for everyone, using some of that free cash they keep in the magic rainbow pot at 10 Downing Street, tight wads. While they're at it they can also find the money to buy me the moon on a stick!

Perhaps it they moved out of their 4 bed detached houses and into more suitable, smaller properties, they would be able to afford to heat them.

Why am I paying tax so some old person can afford to heat a house I could never dream of living in?

Why am I paying tax so some old person can afford to heat a house I could never dream of living in?

A lot of old people who have ended up living in big houses have very little money and no income apart from state pension.

If they'be worked hard all their lives to pay for a big house, why should they be expected to move?

Edited by blankster

Perhaps it they moved out of their 4 bed detached houses and into more suitable, smaller properties, they would be able to afford to heat them.

This is a problem. Got a smashing old couple living over the road from me, but he's had a stroke and although she's as sharp as a knife mentally, she's completely frail and unable to even walk the short distance to the shops, I often have to put the bins out for her, as it takes her half an hour to wheel it the 5 metres to the end of the drive.. They've got a sizeable 4-bed where I'm pretty sure they both live on the ground floor of, given their condition (I also never see lights on upstairs).

Friends and family help them out, but I've seen the ambulance outside about 6 times in the past year or two (no joke). I also know there's only 5 ambulances in the whole county! Multiply this sort of thing by the whole country and ambulance calls like this mean younger people, with their whole lives ahead of them, that get involved in an unfortunate accident might not get the life saving treatment they need on time.

Compulsory sale order and a move to cheaper ground floor sheltered accommodation or a nursing home would be best all round me thinks. Having said that, the libertarian in me also says why should they be forced to move from their own house and not be able to use the ambulance service if they've paid taxes all their lives (especially since I know them and they're decent people)?

A lot of old people who have ended up living in big houses have very little money and no income apart from state pension.

If they'be worked hard all their lives to pay for a big house, why should they be expected to move?

A person living in a £500k house with no savings deserves no more help from the state than someone who lives in a £100k flat with £400k savings.

They aren't expected to move; though they should probably consider it if they are living in an overly large property that they can't maintain. Why are taxpayers expected to subsidise people who choose to live in properties that are too costly for them to afford?

A couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you. Now though, I really think we should be looking at ways to encourage older people to move into more suitable accomodation.

Strictly voluntary of course, but it would be better for all in the long run....

Why should someone who has worked hard and bought, with their own money, a house they feel safe and comfortable in be forced to sell up? Seems very unfair. Council tenants I can understand but not private owners. My neighbour is 87 and lives in a nice detached with a large garden which is his pride and job. Seems very cruel to suggest he should be forced to sell up and move to a small one bedroom flat. Some reward that would be for a life of prudence and self reliance.