House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrB

Hideous Decor

Someone's going to come along and say fewer giraffes.

Someone being you. Grammar Nazis. Or is it Nazi's?

Someone being you. Grammar Nazis. Or is it Nazi's?

Oh, it's definitely the former unless you're referring to the ownership of the giraffe. Did the Nazis use giraffes in their African campaigns? Mind you, that would be one Nazi's giraffe. If it were collective, it would be Nazis'. Where am I again?

Chacun a son gout. I once rented a room in a ex-council house in Holloway where the previous owner were advised by their EA to "do it up" to get the best price. Apparently they went foxtrotting nuts and filled it with UPVC faux wooden panelling, Louis XV plaster medallions chandeliers and diamond leaded double glazing. It was thing to behold. Also it managed to devalue their property so "individual" was it.

Gets me, that room is probably only 15 feet long, yet the ultra wide angle lens used makes it look about 30. More lies and deception from EA's, who would have thunk it :rolleyes:

Can I envoke Godwins Law here? :huh:

Oh go on then.

I doubt this argument will ever be resolved.

There are those who get upset over spelling and grammar and see mistakes as part of the dumbing-down of our society with the use of text speak etc (innit).

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Street-slang+children+facing+jobless+futures%3B+We+have+many+children...-a0114073702

And others who see the message as more important than the delivery, regarding those who seek to correct as anally retentive fuddy-duddy nazis.

Has anyone ever done a poll here on this?

Normally you'd probably want to make a joke or two about the elephant in the room(well actually there are 2 in that room)... But yes, the giraffe is much more noticeable.

I think it's Grammar Nazis by the way - the apostrophe would indicate ownership, or an abbreviation - does that make me a grammar nazi?

Oh go on then.

I doubt this argument will ever be resolved.

There are those who get upset over spelling and grammar and see mistakes as part of the dumbing-down of our society with the use of text speak etc (innit).

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Street-slang+children+facing+jobless+futures%3B+We+have+many+children...-a0114073702

And others who see the message as more important than the delivery, regarding those who seek to correct as anally retentive fuddy-duddy nazis.

Eggsactly. ;)

Normally you'd probably want to make a joke or two about the elephant in the room(well actually there are 2 in that room)... But yes, the giraffe is much more noticeable.

I think it's Grammar Nazis by the way - the apostrophe would indicate ownership, or an abbreviation - does that make me a grammar nazi?

That is the generally accepted form although I suppose you could possibly argue that since "nazis" is a contraction of "nationalsozialists" then the apostrophe is simply replacing the missing letters, just as, strictly speaking "I took some photo's at the disco's" is not grammatically incorrect, even if very clumsy.

Can't stand rooms that have been knocked through. 'We get more light' they say. Yeah good job, cos you live in a tunnel.

Yeah but, no but, at least they now have a backup door into the room in case one door stops functioning.

Still incorrect. It should be, "I see only one giraffe." :P

You may be right. I was taught at school the position of the word "only" is critical - the sentence "my sister picked her nose" varies according to which of the 6 possible positions "only" is inserted.