House Price Crash Forum
Kilham

Any Reason Why I Shouldn't?

Ok I know we've had plenty of 'greener grass' price comparisons before but I'm running out of patience now.

Seeing places like this I really wonder what the point is in staying here and waiting for those fantastic 20%-40% drops. The last time you could buy something like this in the UK for this price was probably 30-40 years ago. It's taken decades to get to this point and I don't see a return to these prices any time soon.

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/property_details_privatetreaty_scotland.asp?id=22443

Not necessarily this place but it's not unique. I have a business that can be run from anywhere with good communications and delivery services*, the only thing keeping me in this country is family.

Please talk me out of it, shouldn't be difficult after all it's probably in the local version of Govan (though you'd need to pay 3x this for a 1 bed ex-council flat there). I'm looking to buy to live in, not for 'investment'.

Edited to add this one :

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/property_details_privatetreaty_scotland.asp?id=567601

*(not the UK for the last week)

Edited by Kilham

Ok I know we've had plenty of 'greener grass' price comparisons before but I'm running out of patience now.

Seeing places like this I really wonder what the point is in staying here and waiting for those fantastic 20%-40% drops. The last time you could buy something like this in the UK for this price was probably 30-40 years ago. It's taken decades to get to this point and I don't see a return to these prices any time soon.

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/property_details_privatetreaty_scotland.asp?id=22443

Not necessarily this place but it's not unique. I have a business that can be run from anywhere with good communications and delivery services*, the only thing keeping me in this country is family.

Please talk me out of it, shouldn't be difficult after all it's probably in the local version of Govan (though you'd need to pay 3x this for a 1 bed ex-council flat there). I'm looking to buy to live in, not for 'investment'.

Define family.

http://www.wilsonsau...nd.asp?id=22443

Edited to add this one :

http://www.wilsonsau...d.asp?id=567601

Instead of the Flutes you will hear Jackboots, change drinks/drugs and keep your powder dry, or at least buy something cozy and safe in europe?

Define family.

Briefly 2 sons who still live with me 16 & 18, they probably won't want to be that far away from their mother and if they do decide to go she won't be happy about it. Fiancee who may be OK with it but she has family here too.

Third son is at Uni but the way things are going he may well be back once finished. I can't (and don't want to) just wait for them to move out as that may be another 10-15 years going by current trends.

Briefly 2 sons who still live with me 16 & 18, they probably won't want to be that far away from their mother and if they do decide to go she won't be happy about it. Fiancee who may be OK with it but she has family here too.

Third son is at Uni but the way things are going he may well be back once finished. I can't (and don't want to) just wait for them to move out as that may be another 10-15 years going by current trends.

What about parents? Are they family?

Edited to add this one :

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/property_details_privatetreaty_scotland.asp?id=567601

I don't know enough to argue or advise. However, a few things puzzle me. The building looks huge from the photo. I'm not sure if the building is just the one in the foreground or if the one in the background is attached and part of it. It only has 4 flats and a former mill. It looks much bigger than that!

It's only up for auction, in England in UKP? But it's in Germany, is it not? A bit strange. Why no internal photos? And only one external photo plus one of a stream, the one that the mill used to run from, I suppose.

If I was really interested I would go over and have a look and do full research with surveys etc.

I don't think I would like to live in Germany. As a rule, I don't like Germans, partly 'cos of WW2 (although I believe there were heroic German resisters to Hitler, as, for example, the assination plot shows), but I've known a few Germans. Of a small sample, about 5 or 6, about half were nice people, but at least one was an arrogant intrusive judgemental so-and-so. I had a German friend when I was doing a part-time post grad. I liked her, but she wanted me to lend her my course work, 'just out of casual interest', before she handed her course work in for appraisal. Yeah! Fook that! But I like Herman Hesse, Friedrich Nietzsche, and German synth music.

Edited by Giordano Bruno

Go now and never look back. All those that stay will envy you.

I agree leaving is the best thing to do.

The people that stay in this country tend to be those that think there is no life outside a 50 mile radius of their birth place and are happy to buy a crappy studio flat for 5 x their salary with the help of their parents and then just take out loans to buy cars and plasma screen TVs. They will therefor think that anything else other than their way is crazy.

Instead of the Flutes you will hear Jackboots, change drinks/drugs and keep your powder dry, or at least buy something cozy and safe in europe?

The jackboots may appear anywhere. I don't like the direction this country is going in at times.

The prices are guide prices. Will you actually be able to get these places at anywhere near the guide price?

Probably not but at least they won't have an extra zero stuck on the end.

I don't think I would like to live in Germany. As a rule, I don't like Germans, partly 'cos of WW2 (although I believe there were heroic German resisters to Hitler, as, for example, the assination plot shows), but I've known a few Germans. Of a small sample, about 5 or 6, about half were nice people, but at least one was an arrogant intrusive judgemental so-and-so. I had a German friend when I was doing a part-time post grad. I liked her, but she wanted me to lend her my course work, 'just out of casual interest', before she handed her course work in for appraisal. Yeah! Fook that! But I like Herman Hesse, Friedrich Nietzsche, and German synth music.

German people are friendly, but German officialdom is very unfriendly towards foreigners, even EU ones (Austrians excluded)

rim

Go now and never look back. All those that stay will envy you.

Easy to say but the reality may be a lot different.

What about parents? Are they family?

I have no close relatives other than my sons.

German people are friendly, but German officialdom is very unfriendly towards foreigners, even EU ones (Austrians excluded)

rim

This is the kind of thing that bothers me. If the locals take a dislike to 'the Englander' they could make life difficult and running a business impossible.

I don't know enough to argue or advise. However, a few things puzzle me. The building looks huge from the photo. I'm not sure if the building is just the one in the foreground or if the one in the background is attached and part of it. It only has 4 flats and a former mill. It looks much bigger than that!

It's only up for auction, in England in UKP? But it's in Germany, is it not? A bit strange. Why no internal photos? And only one external photo plus one of a stream, the one that the mill used to run from, I suppose.

If I was really interested I would go over and have a look and do full research with surveys etc.

One I knew used to pretend she had cum when she was really....oops sorry, wrong forum.

Edited to add this one :

Bloody hell, £15k! You made of money???

What about this little gem?

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/property_details_scotland_new.asp?id=698678

Not a bad investment with a rental income of $800 pcm..... Hold on, I smell a rat!

TBH, there are countries that seem better than the UK, I know that, but it's more about being/belonging.... My family helps me with that.

5 years ago I met a guy who, fed up at being priced out of housing in the UK, ha gone and invested in a property in Bulgaria. He had been bitten badly financially in a divorce, was fed up and was looking for a new start.

I have oft wondered what happened to him since.

On Tuesday I was having a cuppa in a cafe and he walked past me. Didn't get a chance to talk to him but, well, he is back.

Look at people like Bubb - he has been quite happy to move around the World to live. Some people take to it easily, others do not.

It's in deepest, darkest East Germany. All the kids with some get up and go will have got up and gone to look for work in the West. Anyone remaining in the village under the age of 40 is probably virtually unemployable and is fairly likely to be wearing large boots and sport a very short haircut. Not many of the locals will be either able or willing to speak English.

This shows the number of inhabitants for each year:

Einwohnerentwicklung [bearbeiten]

Am 3. Oktober 1990 zählte Oberwiera 1250 Einwohner. Folgende Einwohnerzahlen beziehen sich auf den 31. Dezember des voranstehenden Jahres:

* 1998 - 1294

* 1999 - 1277

* 2000 - 1273

* 2001 - 1291

* 2002 - 1277

* 2003 - 1252

* 2004 - 1244

* 2005 - 1236

* 2006 - 1211

* 2007 - 1199

* 2008 - 1169

Datenquelle: Statistisches Landesamt des Freistaates Sachsen

Lovely scenery though.

It's in deepest, darkest East Germany. All the kids with some get up and go will have got up and gone to look for work in the West. Anyone remaining in the village under the age of 40 is probably virtually unemployable and is fairly likely to be wearing large boots and sport a very short haircut. Not many of the locals will be either able or willing to speak English.

This shows the number of inhabitants for each year:

Lovely scenery though.

According to the details it is only 15km from where Ryanair fly to. Also close to Black forest. There is definitely a business opportunity there. No idea what though.

According to the details it is only 15km from where Ryanair fly to. Also close to Black forest. There is definitely a business opportunity there. No idea what though.

The local scenery's not bad, but it's nowhere near the Black Forest. That's in south west Germany.

Edit: And surely most places that Ryanair fly to are, by definition, the middle of nowhere?

Edited by snowflux

rim

What!!!! in this great loving family called the EU, where love is the order of the day, where all the people speak in the language together we work, grow, and live in a true democracy. :o

I'm in a similar situation, and I do plan to leave for various positive reasons.

However there will always be a minus with the plus. Family is the kicker. Even if you go somewhere and live a fantastic life, the guilt of leaving your family may spoil it. But that's for you alone to decide. It depends how close you all really are.

If you're staying in Europe then I'd suggest it's not that big a deal? It'll hardly break the bank to fly back and visit. Short flights too.

Regarding the price drops here in the UK, I'm pessimistic. They should have already happened of course, but events took a nasty turn and here we all still are. Yes they may drop over many years, but how does that help you or me now? It doesn't. And even if prices do fall, the UK will still be horribly expensive comparatively.

Please talk me out of it, shouldn't be difficult

Well, there is your biggest question to answer. Does it have those? Can you get broadband in there, a leased line or whatever? Does it get a sensible postal service? How much will ups charge to deliver a letter/parcel to an address in that town? Will they pick up?

Also, have you checked what kind of taxes and liabilities are going to be associated with the property? Will you need a license or anything to work from there?

The local scenery's not bad, but it's nowhere near the Black Forest. That's in south west Germany.

Edit: And surely most places that Ryanair fly to are, by definition, the middle of nowhere?

Ah - I was getting the two links mixed up. This one is near to Ryaniar but not the black forest.

About 100 miles from both Berlin and Prague.

Well, there is your biggest question to answer. Does it have those? Can you get broadband in there, a leased line or whatever? Does it get a sensible postal service? How much will ups charge to deliver a letter/parcel to an address in that town? Will they pick up?

Also, have you checked what kind of taxes and liabilities are going to be associated with the property? Will you need a license or anything to work from there?

According to

http://www.zukunft-breitband.de/BBA/Navigation/Breitbandatlas/breitbandsuche.html

between 10% and 50% of the households in Niederwiera have access to broadband speeds of > 2 Mbit/s, but only 0% to 10% have access to speeds of > 6 Mbit/s.

Edit: In addition to work requirements, a decent internet connection will be indispensable for whiling away those long dark evenings at home resulting from the total lack of any sort of accessible social life in a place like this.

Edited by snowflux